New Megabass Destroyers

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: New Megabass Destroyers

Post by bronzefly » Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:50 am

Landsat will make a great drop shot rod all around - both cast and drag and vertical. It has a versatile all around action that works great for weightless worm fishing as well. It is a very sensitive rod indeed, but then again, so are all the P5 models I've fished so far. It is definitely less powerful than Addermine, 1/2 power at least, but has a more moderate action than Addermine. The guides are similar in size to Addermine and Brigand for example, larger than the guides on Flyssa.

FMJ is a true US style heavy power fast action jig rod. Both Super Destroyer and Tachyon are very capable jig rods, but have noticeably slower actions. You can feel the power difference between SD and TS comparing the two side by side. Both are light, well balanced, and crisp. The 2016/Carbon Head Super Destroyer has a faster action and a little more back bone than the P5 version.

I've had the opportunity to fish several of these quite a bit now. These might become my favorite blanks Megabass has ever built, X7 included. X7 is the only competition at this point as far as I'm concerned.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Datbasstho
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Datbasstho » Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:01 pm

bronzefly wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:50 am
Landsat will make a great drop shot rod all around - both cast and drag and vertical. It has a versatile all around action that works great for weightless worm fishing as well. It is a very sensitive rod indeed, but then again, so are all the P5 models I've fished so far. It is definitely less powerful than Addermine, 1/2 power at least, but has a more moderate action than Addermine. The guides are similar in size to Addermine and Brigand for example, larger than the guides on Flyssa.

FMJ is a true US style heavy power fast action jig rod. Both Super Destroyer and Tachyon are very capable jig rods, but have noticeably slower actions. You can feel the power difference between SD and TS comparing the two side by side. Both are light, well balanced, and crisp. The 2016/Carbon Head Super Destroyer has a faster action and a little more back bone than the P5 version.

I've had the opportunity to fish several of these quite a bit now. These might become my favorite blanks Megabass has ever built, X7 included. X7 is the only competition at this point as far as I'm concerned.

Appreciate the feedback!

Do you think the Landsat is worth the price upgrade compared to the addermine? Is the sensitivity a lot more noticeable? Also, the 1/2 power difference, how does that play out for drop shot? Do you like more power when drop shotting?

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:25 pm

Datbasstho wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:01 pm
Appreciate the feedback!

Do you think the Landsat is worth the price upgrade compared to the addermine? Is the sensitivity a lot more noticeable? Also, the 1/2 power difference, how does that play out for drop shot? Do you like more power when drop shotting?
You're welcome - I've been pretty busy lately so haven't had much time to chime in on some threads.

Yes, absolutely, I'd get any P5 I could right now as long as it will cover your intended applications. The Addermine would be better on the heavy end of the DS game where the Landsat handles lighter stuff better, but there is overlap. Drop shot isn't a favored technique, but I do it some because it is effective. Open water vertical vs cast and drag vs bubba shot grass edges all require different gear for me, but the first two, as long as I wasn't going over 3/8 oz. but mostly 1/8 and 1/4, I'd take the Landsat over the Addermine.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Datbasstho
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Datbasstho » Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:05 pm

bronzefly wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:25 pm
Datbasstho wrote:
Appreciate the feedback!

You're welcome - I've been pretty busy lately so haven't had much time to chime in on some threads.

Yes, absolutely, I'd get any P5 I could right now as long as it will cover your intended applications. The Addermine would be better on the heavy end of the DS game where the Landsat handles lighter stuff better, but there is overlap. Drop shot isn't a favored technique, but I do it some because it is effective. Open water vertical vs cast and drag vs bubba shot grass edges all require different gear for me, but the first two, as long as I wasn't going over 3/8 oz. but mostly 1/8 and 1/4, I'd take the Landsat over the Addermine.

Awesome!
I fish the Great Lakes for smallies a lot and find myself using a 1/4 oz tungsten weight 90% of the time. So I think the Landsat would be perfect.

Appreciate the help!!

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:30 pm

Datbasstho wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:05 pm
bronzefly wrote:
Datbasstho wrote:
Appreciate the feedback!

Awesome!
I fish the Great Lakes for smallies a lot and find myself using a 1/4 oz tungsten weight 90% of the time. So I think the Landsat would be perfect.

Appreciate the help!!
Not sure how you feel about longer rods for DS but the Flyssa is amazing for drop shotting.
Flyssa and my 901NRX are amazing.

Datbasstho
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Datbasstho » Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:28 pm

BRONZEBACK32 wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:30 pm
Datbasstho wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:05 pm
bronzefly wrote:
Datbasstho wrote:
Appreciate the feedback!

Awesome!

Appreciate the help!!
Not sure how you feel about longer rods for DS but the Flyssa is amazing for drop shotting.
Flyssa and my 901NRX are amazing.
Funny you mention that. I own a Flyssa and mainly use it for Okashira heads and spark shads. It’s incredible.
I haven’t used it much for drop shots. It does mention it’s good for deep water drop shot which I never understood why there would be a difference of deep and shallow other than weight.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:54 pm

Datbasstho wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:28 pm

Funny you mention that. I own a Flyssa and mainly use it for Okashira heads and spark shads. It’s incredible.
I haven’t used it much for drop shots. It does mention it’s good for deep water drop shot which I never understood why there would be a difference of deep and shallow other than weight.
Not sure about the deep water drop shot, maybe because you can move a lot of line if needed???
I've been using mine around 20 to 40 feet lately.

I personally prefer a longer rod for drop shotting, the only time it does not work as good as shorter DS rods is with
electronics since you need to stay farther back with a longer rod.

90% of the time I'm casting a DS, the longer rod gives me longer casts, better hook up and the longer blank
works good when those giant smallmouth decide to head bang underwater :big grin:

Try a 2.4" 3/8oz Dark Sleeper, its insane how far those fly with the Flyssa.

What reel are you using on your Flyssa?

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:59 pm

How do the Destoryer P5 blanks compare to the US Destroyer's in terms of sensitivity?

Datbasstho
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Datbasstho » Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:51 pm

BRONZEBACK32 wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:54 pm
Datbasstho wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:28 pm

Not sure about the deep water drop shot, maybe because you can move a lot of line if needed???
I've been using mine around 20 to 40 feet lately.

I personally prefer a longer rod for drop shotting, the only time it does not work as good as shorter DS rods is with
electronics since you need to stay farther back with a longer rod.

90% of the time I'm casting a DS, the longer rod gives me longer casts, better hook up and the longer blank
works good when those giant smallmouth decide to head bang underwater :big grin:

Try a 2.4" 3/8oz Dark Sleeper, its insane how far those fly with the Flyssa.

What reel are you using on your Flyssa?
Ya that makes sense about a longer rod causing you to be further back when using your electronics to pin point where to cast.

I’ll definitely try the 2.4” DS on it. Never thought about that until you mentioned it. Only have the 3” and up versions.

I currently have a DAIWA Tatula LT 2500 on it and it’s smooth.

As for your P5 sensitivity question, I own the Super Destroyer and use it for close combat jigs and worms and it’s ridiculously sensitive and it’s not even specifically designed for bottom contact like the dark sleeper or the x-bites so those are probably more sensitive.

I never used a FMJ to compare but I’ve heard nothing but amazing things about how sensitive these P5’s are from guys who use US destroyers and the fact that the super destroyer isn’t designed just for bottom contact like the other 2 I mentioned is scary.

Dragging a jig, I can feel exactly what bottom I’m on and can easily determine a bite, it sends a shockwave down my arm. I’m really happy with it.

Jdmbassman
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Jdmbassman » Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:07 pm

The P5 Dark Sleeper seemed a popular option for folks initial purchase. If anyone has experience of this and the Conquest 844 MBR, would love to hear about the differences

Jdmbassman
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Jdmbassman » Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:44 pm

Similarly if anyone has fished the Daiwa AGS 7’1” Heavy Fast against the X Bites for 5/8oz jigs and a chunk.

Quite happy with what I’ve got but these P5’s are tempting.

bbates3
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bbates3 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:33 am

just when i said i was done buying rods these came out

so initially 2 things really stand out to me

1. weight or lack thereof, rods are super light but well balanced

2. versatility, so far the ones that i have are very versatile and cover a lot of bases

Dark Sleeper just has that it factor to me. Fished spinnerbaits, lighter dark sleepers, swim jig and it was fantastic. amazing feeling when one eats while holding this rod

Madbull great topwater rod, really walks the bait effortless

Jdmbassman
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Jdmbassman » Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:32 pm

I ended up buying 5 and it could easily be more if I find buyers for the Exprides, Conquest 844c MBR and GLX 893 Spinning I have for sale.

Firstly, these rods are a work of art and super comfy to fish. I’m trying out Kayak fishing so the shorter lengths are welcome too. I have traditionally fished a 7’2” to 7’4” and the 6’8” wings it out there just the super but with much improved feel.

I really like the handle on the spinning rods too. As mentioned previously, very comfy rods but the spinning rods are especially so.

Only slight negative for me is the balance on the Blade and Bait Finesse. Despite having Aldebaran’s on, the balance point is still a little behind the locking nut while the others are spot on.

I was tempted by the Landsat for Drop Shot but the NRX DSR has served me well. Equally so with the MadBull to replace my IMX Pro 845 CBR, that grip looks cool but I ended up keeping with what I had. The Dark Sleeper was also tempting but a bit too much overlap with the Blade.

Casting
F3-610X Bait Finesse
5” Wacky & Neko perfection. Tried the NRX 852 Casting amongst other but like this one the most out of the lot.

F5-68X Blade
I gone through many rods in search of the perfect Chatterbait rod and the fact this one can pull Dark Sleeper and Spinnnerbait duty to boot, it a real winner. Don’t worry about the length, casts a 1/2” Jackahammer and Zako a country mile but the feel is like nothing before.

F7-70X Tequila Baccarac
Now I can through a Magdraft and I-Jack on my the same rod as a Frog. For me, that’s huge as I don’t Frog that much. I was worried about the longer handle and whilst not ideal, it’s not really an issue. For a 7 power, balances lovely with a Steez.

Spinning
F2-66XS Whippett
Needed something for those Okashira Screw Heads and Ned rig and does both lovely

F5-65XS Kameyama Special
Sadly never managed to get dock skipping down with a casting setup so fingers crossed with this one. Comes Wednesday so will report back then.

Special thanks to The Hook Up Tackle, we spent a lot of time talking things through before landing on these.

Heddonfrog
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Heddonfrog » Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:02 am

Jdmbassman wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:07 pm
The P5 Dark Sleeper seemed a popular option for folks initial purchase. If anyone has experience of this and the Conquest 844 MBR, would love to hear about the differences
The X-Bites fishes like how you’d think a 7’-2” Loomis MBR blank would...the problem is, it’s fishes like a Loomis 2 power rod and nowhere near a 4 power. It’s also not an EXF action, closer to a med-fast. I’m contemplating whether to keep it as my dark sleeper rod or sell it and find more of what I was looking for. I need a true Med/Hvy or light-Heavy. This isn’t it. Lastly it feels at its limits with a 1/2oz jig and trailer. Even a 3/8oz jig and heavy trailer (Mag-structure bug) feels like it’s pushing it

Heddonfrog
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Heddonfrog » Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:05 pm

Jdmbassman wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:32 pm
I ended up buying 5 and it could easily be more if I find buyers for the Exprides, Conquest 844c MBR and GLX 893 Spinning I have for sale.

Firstly, these rods are a work of art and super comfy to fish. I’m trying out Kayak fishing so the shorter lengths are welcome too. I have traditionally fished a 7’2” to 7’4” and the 6’8” wings it out there just the super but with much improved feel.

I really like the handle on the spinning rods too. As mentioned previously, very comfy rods but the spinning rods are especially so.

Only slight negative for me is the balance on the Blade and Bait Finesse. Despite having Aldebaran’s on, the balance point is still a little behind the locking nut while the others are spot on.

I was tempted by the Landsat for Drop Shot but the NRX DSR has served me well. Equally so with the MadBull to replace my IMX Pro 845 CBR, that grip looks cool but I ended up keeping with what I had. The Dark Sleeper was also tempting but a bit too much overlap with the Blade.

Casting
F3-610X Bait Finesse
5” Wacky & Neko perfection. Tried the NRX 852 Casting amongst other but like this one the most out of the lot.

F5-68X Blade
I gone through many rods in search of the perfect Chatterbait rod and the fact this one can pull Dark Sleeper and Spinnnerbait duty to boot, it a real winner. Don’t worry about the length, casts a 1/2” Jackahammer and Zako a country mile but the feel is like nothing before.

F7-70X Tequila Baccarac
Now I can through a Magdraft and I-Jack on my the same rod as a Frog. For me, that’s huge as I don’t Frog that much. I was worried about the longer handle and whilst not ideal, it’s not really an issue. For a 7 power, balances lovely with a Steez.

Spinning
F2-66XS Whippett
Needed something for those Okashira Screw Heads and Ned rig and does both lovely

F5-65XS Kameyama Special
Sadly never managed to get dock skipping down with a casting setup so fingers crossed with this one. Comes Wednesday so will report back then.

Special thanks to The Hook Up Tackle, we spent a lot of time talking things through before landing on these.
I have a brand new never used X-Bites and would be willing to trade even up for your used 844c conquest if it’s in good shape. PM me if interested

Dave