New Megabass Destroyers

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: New Megabass Destroyers

Post by Chode » Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:21 pm

Heddonfrog wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:05 pm
Jdmbassman wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:32 pm
I ended up buying 5 and it could easily be more if I find buyers for the Exprides, Conquest 844c MBR and GLX 893 Spinning I have for sale.

Firstly, these rods are a work of art and super comfy to fish. I’m trying out Kayak fishing so the shorter lengths are welcome too. I have traditionally fished a 7’2” to 7’4” and the 6’8” wings it out there just the super but with much improved feel.

I really like the handle on the spinning rods too. As mentioned previously, very comfy rods but the spinning rods are especially so.

Only slight negative for me is the balance on the Blade and Bait Finesse. Despite having Aldebaran’s on, the balance point is still a little behind the locking nut while the others are spot on.

I was tempted by the Landsat for Drop Shot but the NRX DSR has served me well. Equally so with the MadBull to replace my IMX Pro 845 CBR, that grip looks cool but I ended up keeping with what I had. The Dark Sleeper was also tempting but a bit too much overlap with the Blade.

Casting
F3-610X Bait Finesse
5” Wacky & Neko perfection. Tried the NRX 852 Casting amongst other but like this one the most out of the lot.

F5-68X Blade
I gone through many rods in search of the perfect Chatterbait rod and the fact this one can pull Dark Sleeper and Spinnnerbait duty to boot, it a real winner. Don’t worry about the length, casts a 1/2” Jackahammer and Zako a country mile but the feel is like nothing before.

F7-70X Tequila Baccarac
Now I can through a Magdraft and I-Jack on my the same rod as a Frog. For me, that’s huge as I don’t Frog that much. I was worried about the longer handle and whilst not ideal, it’s not really an issue. For a 7 power, balances lovely with a Steez.

Spinning
F2-66XS Whippett
Needed something for those Okashira Screw Heads and Ned rig and does both lovely

F5-65XS Kameyama Special
Sadly never managed to get dock skipping down with a casting setup so fingers crossed with this one. Comes Wednesday so will report back then.

Special thanks to The Hook Up Tackle, we spent a lot of time talking things through before landing on these.
I have a brand new never used X-Bites and would be willing to trade even up for your used 844c conquest if it’s in good shape. PM me if interested

Dave
wait so earlier when u reviewed the x-bites stating that u didn't like it, u haven't fished with it yet?

Heddonfrog
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Heddonfrog » Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:30 pm

Chode wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:21 pm
Heddonfrog wrote:
Jdmbassman wrote:
I ended up buying 5 and it could easily be more if I find buyers for the Exprides, Conquest 844c MBR and GLX 893 Spinning I have for sale.

Firstly, these rods are a work of art and super comfy to fish. I’m trying out Kayak fishing so the shorter lengths are welcome too. I have traditionally fished a 7’2” to 7’4” and the 6’8” wings it out there just the super but with much improved feel.

I really like the handle on the spinning rods too. As mentioned previously, very comfy rods but the spinning rods are especially so.

Only slight negative for me is the balance on the Blade and Bait Finesse. Despite having Aldebaran’s on, the balance point is still a little behind the locking nut while the others are spot on.

I was tempted by the Landsat for Drop Shot but the NRX DSR has served me well. Equally so with the MadBull to replace my IMX Pro 845 CBR, that grip looks cool but I ended up keeping with what I had. The Dark Sleeper was also tempting but a bit too much overlap with the Blade.

Casting
F3-610X Bait Finesse
5” Wacky & Neko perfection. Tried the NRX 852 Casting amongst other but like this one the most out of the lot.

F5-68X Blade
I gone through many rods in search of the perfect Chatterbait rod and the fact this one can pull Dark Sleeper and Spinnnerbait duty to boot, it a real winner. Don’t worry about the length, casts a 1/2” Jackahammer and Zako a country mile but the feel is like nothing before.

F7-70X Tequila Baccarac
Now I can through a Magdraft and I-Jack on my the same rod as a Frog. For me, that’s huge as I don’t Frog that much. I was worried about the longer handle and whilst not ideal, it’s not really an issue. For a 7 power, balances lovely with a Steez.

Spinning
F2-66XS Whippett
Needed something for those Okashira Screw Heads and Ned rig and does both lovely

F5-65XS Kameyama Special
Sadly never managed to get dock skipping down with a casting setup so fingers crossed with this one. Comes Wednesday so will report back then.

Special thanks to The Hook Up Tackle, we spent a lot of time talking things through before landing on these.
I have a brand new never used X-Bites and would be willing to trade even up for your used 844c conquest if it’s in good shape. PM me if interested

Dave
wait so earlier when u reviewed the x-bites stating that u didn't like it, u haven't fished with it yet?

No, it’s the replacement for the one I broke, go look at that comment. Page 12 towards the bottom, you can miss the pics

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:39 pm

Heddonfrog wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:30 pm
Chode wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:21 pm
Heddonfrog wrote:
Jdmbassman wrote:

Casting
F3-610X Bait Finesse

F5-68X Blade

F7-70X Tequila Baccarac

Spinning
F2-66XS Whippett

F5-65XS Kameyama Special

Dave

No, it’s the replacement for the one I broke, go look at that comment. Page 12 towards the bottom, you can miss the pics
Ohhhh gotcha. I was like man at least give it a chance before dismissing it haha. My fault

Jdmbassman
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Jdmbassman » Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:12 pm

Looking to give the Bait Finesse a try with Vibration X Jrs and Ball Heads / 3” Spark Shads. If it performs nicely with these then it could be as the name suggests, truly an all round bait finesse rod as sensitivity with a 5” weightless Senko was good.

Going to give the Wind Buster a try to do something called free rig and see how much better a 5” Senko can get
Last edited by Jdmbassman on Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vishus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by vishus » Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:38 pm

[quote=something called free frig
[/quote]

do you mean the "free rig" (sliding pencil weight)?

Jdmbassman
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Jdmbassman » Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:14 pm

That’s it, sorry phone typing. Sliding weight and bead all the way to the hook with something like a swimming Senko

vishus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by vishus » Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:16 am

nice, I thought that was what you were referencing. by the way, Ben at the HookUp is great to work with. IF you haven't been to the store, it is incredible...

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:31 am

Jdmbassman wrote:

F5-65XS Kameyama Special
Very interested hearing your thoughts on this rod. I have had my eye on the older Carbon Head model ever since it was released but never found any real info on it other then a single Japanese blog post, which as usual auto translate turned into poetic gibberish. I am really gun-shy about solid tipped rods, so that with the lack of info kept my finger off the button.

Jdmbassman
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Jdmbassman » Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:26 pm

I wouldn’t hesitate, great rod. That tip is special, super sensitive. I got it for skipping docks but I’m liking it for general weightless Senkos too. I was casting down to a 4” Senko, catching dinks off the dock even without problems. Balances nicely on an Exist.

Jdmbassman
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Jdmbassman » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:04 pm

I also love the Bait Finesse with an Aldebaran. Covers all my “smaller” options when days are tough. Quick Walker for top water, Vibration X Jr Lipless and 110 jr for Jerkbait. Threw a Senko weightless and Neko rigged great.

Blade is just a lovely Chatterbait, Spinnerbait and Swimjig rod with a Lews Custom Lite.

Baccarac is a wonderful balanced do a lot on the heavy side of things even with a light weight Steez 103 on it. Need a bit more time but promising so far with a frog and Magdraft.

I was really looking forward to the Wind Buster. It’s super sensitive but can’t get the balance right. I have had to use a Stradic FL at 7.9oz and it makes everything so heavy I’m comparison to the bait Finesse / Aldebaran combo.

Jdmbassman
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Jdmbassman » Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:53 am

Sadly the F7-70X Tequila Baccarac is not the Frog rod for me. It’s got a great action to walk the frog but not land the fish. I’ve spent two very frustrating days now hooking into fish but not landing them. Never had that before with a frog. Normally when they are stuck, they are coming into the boat.

MNBassin03
Angler
Angler

Post by MNBassin03 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:29 pm

Heddonfrog wrote:
Jdmbassman wrote:

Casting
F3-610X Bait Finesse

F5-68X Blade

F7-70X Tequila Baccarac

Spinning
F2-66XS Whippett

F5-65XS Kameyama Special

Dave
Dave, message sent on x-bites - conquest trade

Bandersnatch
Angler
Angler

Post by Bandersnatch » Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:23 am

MediumHeavy wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:00 am
OK, I have experience with both the FMJ (my favorite in the US lineup) and the P5 Tachyon Shaft.

First off, they are very different. The TS is definitely a JDM taper. No surprise there.
What do you mean by JDM taper?

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:29 am

Bandersnatch wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:23 am
What do you mean by JDM taper?
JDM Bass rods are typically more moderate in taper than their US counterparts.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Bandersnatch
Angler
Angler

Post by Bandersnatch » Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:18 pm

Do those with the p5 super destroyer feel it would be a good rod with enough parabolic action to skip docks with 3/8 chatterbaits and senkos?