New Megabass Destroyers

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: New Megabass Destroyers

Post by bronzefly » Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:11 pm

Bandersnatch wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:18 pm
Do those with the p5 super destroyer feel it would be a good rod with enough parabolic action to skip docks with 3/8 chatterbaits and senkos?
It’s entirely too powerful for those specific applications in my opinion. The Mad Bull or even The Blade would be better choices.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:57 pm

Bandersnatch wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:18 pm
Do those with the p5 super destroyer feel it would be a good rod with enough parabolic action to skip docks with 3/8 chatterbaits and senkos?
The SD is a heavy rod, similar power to a Loomis 4-power. I wouldn't throw senkos on it unless it's a rather heavy t-rig in vegetation. 3/8oz chatterbaits... maybe? But I think it shines at 1/2oz, similar to the FMJ (both are F6s).

Edit: And everything Bronzefly said :)

Bandersnatch
Angler
Angler

Post by Bandersnatch » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:15 am

We clearly fish differently. On my tachyon shaft ithrew a 3/8oz jackhammer with a cowboy on the back all morning today. I worked it similar to a jig but caught some swimming it too. The tachyon shaft bent well and didn't seem to unload at all but I move them to the boat quickly. I would think the super destroyer would have even more parabolic action than the tachyon shaft being a half power less and called a more moderate taper. Does anyone know if the super destroyer is as sensitive as the tachyon shaft or xbites? The sensitivity on the tachyon shaft is outstanding!

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Gone Phishin » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:32 pm

Bandersnatch wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:15 am
We clearly fish differently. On my tachyon shaft ithrew a 3/8oz jackhammer with a cowboy on the back all morning today. I worked it similar to a jig but caught some swimming it too. The tachyon shaft bent well and didn't seem to unload at all but I move them to the boat quickly. I would think the super destroyer would have even more parabolic action than the tachyon shaft being a half power less and called a more moderate taper. Does anyone know if the super destroyer is as sensitive as the tachyon shaft or xbites? The sensitivity on the tachyon shaft is outstanding!
At the same time, how much does a Yamamoto cowboy weigh?

Bandersnatch
Angler
Angler

Post by Bandersnatch » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:36 pm

I didn't get the chance to weigh the 3/8oz jackhammer and cowboy alone but together they are 0.88oz on my scale. The cowboy is heavy.

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Gone Phishin » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:00 pm

Understood. What I meant was that heavy plastic would explain why the rod is seen as too powerful by bronzefly for 3/8oz chatterbaits, but not you. 8-)

KP Duty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KP Duty » Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:02 am

So I missed the release of this new destroyer...and even icast for that matter (dealing with my cannabis grow). Happened to see this new 'p5' on Japan lure shop's website while shopping for another Glorious stick. I noticed the new destroyers were very light, seemed to be no-frills, and were priced comparably to the poison adrena. However, I was just on TW's site for black friday, and noticed these are $500 rods in the states. Do you feel the Megabass name is more highly regarded in America and the reason they are priced higher? Both adrena and p5 are 35,000ish yen in japan.

jmb27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jmb27 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:51 pm

KP Duty wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:02 am
So I missed the release of this new destroyer...and even icast for that matter (dealing with my cannabis grow). Happened to see this new 'p5' on Japan lure shop's website while shopping for another Glorious stick. I noticed the new destroyers were very light, seemed to be no-frills, and were priced comparably to the poison adrena. However, I was just on TW's site for black friday, and noticed these are $500 rods in the states. Do you feel the Megabass name is more highly regarded in America and the reason they are priced higher? Both adrena and p5 are 35,000ish yen in japan.
Once you add shipping and the dollar being weaker against the yen as of late and there isn’t that big of a difference. Not too mention, no warranty from Japan versus full warranty from the Tackletrap. ;)

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:27 pm

KP Duty wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:02 am
This is a good question, but I don’t think the price difference is indicative of how they’re relatively regarded here versus there. The adrena and brand new destroyer are direct price point competitors there; same class if you will. I think the P5 is actually a touch less expensive than adrenas. Shimano brought the adrena here, so we can benefit from a global msrp. The P5 is a straight up import by select US retailers and not a USDM release as I understand it, so we have to pay that fee.

KP Duty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KP Duty » Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:37 am

Yea...probably a new thread altogether regarding usdm vs jdm pricing. When I picked up a 7' H+ Glorious a few months ago from tackle haven, they 'also recommended' the conquest 844 @ $550... same price as the glorious. To keep this on topic, I'll ask if these new megabass sticks have surprising power along with the light weight. That's what got me collecting the PG series and the 6-9"H P5 is right up my alley.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:24 pm

KP Duty wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:37 am
I'll ask if these new megabass sticks have surprising power along with the light weight. That's what got me collecting the PG series and the 6-9"H P5 is right up my alley.
The FMJ and P5 Super Destroyer (both F6, not sure why the FMJ is labeled MH while the SD is labeled H) feel equal in power to me. The P5 blank looks a bit skinnier, so it might be a more powerful design at equal diameter.

rollyourboat
Angler
Angler

Post by rollyourboat » Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:36 am

Bandersnatch wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:15 am
Deciding between both as well. Leaning more towards the Super Destroyer but I'd like to know how sensitivity compares as well. Most seem to indicate it's good but not great.

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:46 am

Has anyone fished the Baby Plugging model? I don’t have many holes to fill in my rod lineup, but one would be for fishing small floating Rapalas, countdowns, and small balsa flat sides.

I’m interested in the taper and sensitivity. How does the rod load with the light baits and how is the recovery. I would prefer something that loads nicely but isn’t a wet noodle.

i_am_R2
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by i_am_R2 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:19 pm

Sorry if I missed any info already posted, how do the reel seats feel (especially the trigger) compared to the XX and USA Destroyers? Do these have the soft touch coating on them? Thanks in advance!

Jrob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Jrob » Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:08 pm

Got the new Super Destroyer yesterday from Tackle Trap! Beautiful piece of art. Can’t wait to get some time with it soon! Pairing it with the Tatula Elite reel.