New Megabass Destroyers

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
jprice92
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: New Megabass Destroyers

Post by jprice92 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:30 pm

Bandersnatch wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:15 am
We clearly fish differently. On my tachyon shaft ithrew a 3/8oz jackhammer with a cowboy on the back all morning today. I worked it similar to a jig but caught some swimming it too. The tachyon shaft bent well and didn't seem to unload at all but I move them to the boat quickly. I would think the super destroyer would have even more parabolic action than the tachyon shaft being a half power less and called a more moderate taper. Does anyone know if the super destroyer is as sensitive as the tachyon shaft or xbites? The sensitivity on the tachyon shaft is outstanding!
I’m interested in this as well, wondering how sensitive the super destroyer is comparatively.

MNBassin03
Angler
Angler

Post by MNBassin03 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:55 pm

I've got the tachyon and super destroyer I can tell you they are both outstanding rods. I use my tachyon shaft as much as any rod I have, just can't put it down when close quarters jigging. The super destroyer gets some play there as well, but can do other things as well. I haven't explored all of them as when I received the rods late in the season but the tachyon is more sensitive but the super destroyer holds its own and bends further down the blank. Both deliver fantastic hook sets and fight the fish really well. I've tried many high end rods and these hold their own and are just really fun to fish.

Jrob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Jrob » Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:35 pm

Fished my new Super Destroyer today. Paired with a Daiwa Tatula elite reel and 15lbs red label flourocarbon. Threw jigs up to 1/2 oz, a 3/8oz spinner bait, and a Googan click bait. Sensitivity was very good transmitting what my jig was banging off. The rod seems to be very versatile for single hook applications for sure. Loving it so far! Thanks again Tackle Trap!

Firstoutfisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Firstoutfisher » Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:02 am

Does anyone have the new P5 cyclone? Looking for a shorter versatile rod for Kayak fishing. I know its rated as an F4 but the weight range is 1/4-7/8. Wondering if it is actually capable of handling baits at the top end of its weight range.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:14 pm

Anyone end up with the P5 Bait Finesse/Hien? It's the P5 rod that makes the most "sense" for me to pick up but I have not been able to find any real info on it. I had been hemming and hawing over the Carbonhead Hien for most of 2019 but this new one seems a lot different in terms of taper.

Right now my bfs arsenal is a P3 Criffhanger and a XXX Black Themis, I think one of the Hiens would be a good fit to complement them. Right now the Black Themis is used both for cast-n-crank drop shotting and some lighter jig/worm fishing. I want heavier line for the jig/worm then I do for the DS and it's annoying to swap spools. My thought would be to pick up a longer/more sensitive rod for the jig/worm part, but I don't know enough about the P5 Hien's taper to know if it will work for that.

Jdmbassman
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Jdmbassman » Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:35 am

P5 Bait Finesse is a slightly faster taper than the Carbon Head Hein. I picked it up for smaller jerkbaits and drop shot as the drop shotting I do is more casting than vertical

No plans to use it however, for a Keitech jig with small trailer though. I use the Cyclone for that

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:11 am

Jdmbassman wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:35 am
P5 Bait Finesse is a slightly faster taper than the Carbon Head Hein. I picked it up for smaller jerkbaits and drop shot as the drop shotting I do is more casting than vertical

No plans to use it however, for a Keitech jig with small trailer though. I use the Cyclone for that
I really wish MB had continued providing those little deflection charts for their rods, it’s hard to figure out what they mean when they describe their tapers, like the Carbon Head is listed as an XF but the P5 is supposedly a duel taper Fast/Regular.

These are the jigs I use, 1/8pz head, medium wire hook. With a small trailer they are right around 3/8oz total. Do you feel that the P5 Hien is capable of giving good hooksets with something like this?

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:34 am

The P5 Bait Finesse is absolutely slower in action and has a little less power than the Carbon Head Hein. The P5 Bait Finesse will handle those 1/8 oz jigs with a small trailer just fine. It's a very versatile rod in general and does a great job with a range of lighter treble baits and even some of those single hook swim bait, light jigs, light t-rigs, etc. Now, that Carbon Head Hein is a better dedicated light bottom contact rod in terms of action and power, but if there's any rational way to justify getting a P5, I'd get a P5.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

fishonsc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by fishonsc » Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:20 am

Houndfish wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:11 am
Jdmbassman wrote:

I really wish MB had continued providing those little deflection charts for their rods, it’s hard to figure out what they mean when they describe their tapers, like the Carbon Head is listed as an XF but the P5 is supposedly a duel taper Fast/Regular.

These are the jigs I use, 1/8pz head, medium wire hook. With a small trailer they are right around 3/8oz total. Do you feel that the P5 Hien is capable of giving good hooksets with something like this?
I have been using the P5 bait finesse since November. It is a killer 3" swimbait rod with a 1/8 to 3/16 tungsten jig head. I use it for sometimes for a light shaky head work. It will fish a 1/8 jig plus trailer fine as long as you are not throwing into nasty covor. It is most definitely a medium fast taper. The blank loads up real nice.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:38 am

bronzefly wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:34 am
The P5 Bait Finesse is absolutely slower in action and has a little less power than the Carbon Head Hein. The P5 Bait Finesse will handle those 1/8 oz jigs with a small trailer just fine. It's a very versatile rod in general and does a great job with a range of lighter treble baits and even some of those single hook swim bait, light jigs, light t-rigs, etc. Now, that Carbon Head Hein is a better dedicated light bottom contact rod in terms of action and power, but if there's any rational way to justify getting a P5, I'd get a P5.
Thanks, but that makes the decision harder! I do a lot of light jig/worm fishing and a more dedicated rod makes sense. I do want to pick up one of the P5s, but I don't do much cranking and I am full up on "MH to XH" casting rods, so one of the lower power rods makes the most sense.
Jdmbassman wrote:
It will fish a 1/8 jig plus trailer fine as long as you are not throwing into nasty covor. It is most definitely a medium fast taper. The blank loads up real nice.
This brings up a good point and pushes the needle closer to the P5. I generally don't like how XF rods cast and with the tiny jigs/worms, a few inches of accuracy can means the difference between landing the lure right at the edge of cover where I can get the bass moved away or landing it just inside the cover where a lighter rod and 10lb line can end up losing me the bass and leaving a jig stuck in it's mouth.

This is my current "Small jig-n-worm, with some paddle tails as well" box that I am looking for a rod to throw.

TravisNY
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TravisNY » Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:41 pm

Houndfish wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:38 am
bronzefly wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:34 am
Thanks, but that makes the decision harder! I do a lot of light jig/worm fishing and a more dedicated rod makes sense. I do want to pick up one of the P5s, but I don't do much cranking and I am full up on "MH to XH" casting rods, so one of the lower power rods makes the most sense.
Jdmbassman wrote:
It will fish a 1/8 jig plus trailer fine as long as you are not throwing into nasty covor. It is most definitely a medium fast taper. The blank loads up real nice.
This brings up a good point and pushes the needle closer to the P5. I generally don't like how XF rods cast and with the tiny jigs/worms, a few inches of accuracy can means the difference between landing the lure right at the edge of cover where I can get the bass moved away or landing it just inside the cover where a lighter rod and 10lb line can end up losing me the bass and leaving a jig stuck in it's mouth.

This is my current "Small jig-n-worm, with some paddle tails as well" box that I am looking for a rod to throw.
That stuff is small ? :lol:

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:35 pm

TravisNY wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:41 pm
That stuff is small ? :lol:
I guess it depends on what it's sitting next too? :big grin:

Jrob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Jrob » Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:38 am

The addiction continues.... awaiting arrival of my new P5 Tequila Baccarac. I kayak fish so I am hoping this covers my small to medium sized swim baits/ large reaction baits well. Can’t wait. Pairing it with a Tatula 200 for now...

Jrob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Jrob » Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:00 pm

Loving the new P5 rods. The tequila baccarac is exactly what I wanted from my kayak. I have thrown 1/2 oz jigs, large crankbaits ,Jackall gantarels, 6” and 8” magdrafts, etc Largest I have thrown is the Megabass Vatalion 190 slow float. It loaded and launched the 190 ok, but I would not push it. Pretty much as already described by others here. Very versatile rod in its listed weight range!

Just got the Killer Code as well. Anyone else have experience with the Killer Code? I plan on using I-wing 135 and other larger topwater baits, frogs, 6” magdrafts, small gill glides and some larger cranks with it. Would love to hear anyone else’s experience or uses on the Killer Code so far. Digging the Rods action. Can’t wait to hit the water soon.

_diggy_
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by _diggy_ » Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:14 pm

So how is everyone liking the Super Destroyer that has had it for a while now?