New Megabass Destroyers

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
jmb27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: New Megabass Destroyers

Post by jmb27 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:33 am

_diggy_ wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:14 pm
So how is everyone liking the Super Destroyer that has had it for a while now?
I like it a lot. I've been using it primarily for topwater lures (buzzjets, horny toad) and some of the smaller swimbaits (Gancraft 128, etc.) over the last several weeks. Rod has plenty of power and is responsive.

I bought it primarily as I was looking for a shorter all around rod for when I'm fishing out of the kayak that could handle a wide range of lures.

I plan on using a swing jig head and a crankbait with it shortly just to see how I like for those.

The medium fast taper works great.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:32 am

jmb27 wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:33 am
_diggy_ wrote:
I like it a lot. I've been using it primarily for topwater lures (buzzjets, horny toad) and some of the smaller swimbaits (Gancraft 128, etc.) over the last several weeks. Rod has plenty of power and is responsive.

I bought it primarily as I was looking for a shorter all around rod for when I'm fishing out of the kayak that could handle a wide range of lures.

I plan on using a swing jig head and a crankbait with it shortly just to see how I like for those.

It's a great wobblehead rod. I've cranked on it and the taper is there, but it's a bit too heavy and stiff for that to my liking.

Overall it's an amazing all-around rod. It can jig (beats many dedicated rig rods in that area), it can frog (in light to med cover), it can do topwater (too heavy and stiff to walk baits and have fun IMO, but great for burning), it can throw 4.3"+ swimbaits and underspins... Etc. pp.

_diggy_
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by _diggy_ » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:29 am

Drakestar wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:32 am
jmb27 wrote:
_diggy_ wrote:

It's a great wobblehead rod. I've cranked on it and the taper is there, but it's a bit too heavy and stiff for that to my liking.

Overall it's an amazing all-around rod. It can jig (beats many dedicated rig rods in that area), it can frog (in light to med cover), it can do topwater (too heavy and stiff to walk baits and have fun IMO, but great for burning), it can throw 4.3"+ swimbaits and underspins... Etc. pp.
Thanks for the feedback. I assume the sensitivity is very good? Im intrigued by the looks (of course) and the length.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:59 am

Drakestar wrote:
jmb27 wrote:

Thanks for the feedback. I assume the sensitivity is very good? Im intrigued by the looks (of course) and the length.
In my mind the SD is at least as sensitive as the Destroyer FMJ, which is a standout in its price class IMO. (FMJ: $400 rod with better-than-GLX sensitivity that approaches-but-doesn't-quite-reach NRX levels).

_diggy_
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by _diggy_ » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:55 pm

Drakestar wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:59 am
Drakestar wrote:
jmb27 wrote:

In my mind the SD is at least as sensitive as the Destroyer FMJ, which is a standout in its price class IMO. (FMJ: $400 rod with better-than-GLX sensitivity that approaches-but-doesn't-quite-reach NRX levels).
Thank you. Maybe I don't need it........yet :D

FamKench
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by FamKench » Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:52 pm

On the topic of super destroyer.. I was pulling em outta thick lily pads with a weightless 4.8 keitech on a worm hook. Nothing too big (17.5 inches the biggest) and not the best at it but it got the job done.

I mainly use it to throw lipless cranks, square bills, and weighted/unweighted 4.8 keitechs. Sensitivity is great with moving single hooked baits. I can feel every weed and short strike.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:53 pm

FamKench wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:52 pm
On the topic of super destroyer.. I was pulling em outta thick lily pads with a weightless 4.8 keitech on a worm hook. Nothing too big (17.5 inches the biggest) and not the best at it but it got the job done.

I mainly use it to throw lipless cranks, square bills, and weighted/unweighted 4.8 keitechs. Sensitivity is great with moving single hooked baits. I can feel every weed and short strike.
That’s my disappointment
I have the previous SD and it’s sensitive for bottom contact and I can’t imagine cranking with it
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:54 pm

goldrod wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:53 pm
FamKench wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:52 pm

That’s my disappointment
I have the previous SD and it’s sensitive for bottom contact and I can’t imagine cranking with it
I had and fished the 16 Destroyer and Carbon Head version of the Super Destroyer and it's certainly more bottom contact oriented first and foremost when compared with the new P5, but in my opinion, the new P5 doesn't lose anything when it comes to those techniques, but it gains a lot more versatility. If you feel and fish the two versions, I think your disappointment will ultimately turn into a new level of excitement and joy. I'd take the P5 over either the 16 or the Carbon Head in a split second, the P5 is just that much better in my opinion.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Bay_Bassin86
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bay_Bassin86 » Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:19 am

By chance do these rods have micro guides. I was looking at getting the X-bites for my bottom contact and either the Madbull or dark sleeper for my 3/8 single hook moving baits running braid to leader on both rods

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:10 am

Bay_Bassin86 wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:19 am
By chance do these rods have micro guides. I was looking at getting the X-bites for my bottom contact and either the Madbull or dark sleeper for my 3/8 single hook moving baits running braid to leader on both rods
They do not have micro guides.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:34 am

bronzefly wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:10 am
Bay_Bassin86 wrote:
I'm surprised by that statement because the Super Destroyer certainly has "tiny guides" that I usually have to tie an FG knot for. I'm not sure if I know the definition for micro guides, but they're as small in diameter as on the Phenix K2, and smaller than on a NRX, for instance.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:11 pm

At long last, I have my p5 Bait Finesse. Picked it up an hour or so ago, the little yard casting I did with it really impressed me. It casts like a dream is light enough for one-handed casting, It feels way shorter than its's length, the BF is "replacing" a XXX Black Themis at 6'5" and they both feel about the same in hand. Waiting for the cork seal to dry so I can take it out and give it a try.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:39 pm

Drakestar wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:34 am
bronzefly wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:10 am
Bay_Bassin86 wrote:
I'm surprised by that statement because the Super Destroyer certainly has "tiny guides" that I usually have to tie an FG knot for. I'm not sure if I know the definition for micro guides, but they're as small in diameter as on the Phenix K2, and smaller than on a NRX, for instance.
They are small, yes but micro guides, no. Think "Duckett Micro Magic" as an example of micro guides. The P5's are no where near as small as those on the DMM rods. The guides on Tequila Baccarac are much larger than the guides on a Blade, but the guides on the OneTen Stick are also larger than the guides on the Blade.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Bay_Bassin86
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bay_Bassin86 » Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:49 am

For those who have the tequila baccarac what’s the heaviest lure you have thrown? Will it handle baits at the top of its range like a ufo 6” wake or a drt Klash 9? Thanks

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:02 pm

Bay_Bassin86 wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:49 am
For those who have the tequila baccarac what’s the heaviest lure you have thrown? Will it handle baits at the top of its range like a ufo 6” wake or a drt Klash 9? Thanks
I threw a 3.6 oz 3:16 Workhorse Glide on it and felt like it was too much bait for the rod other than some short target lobs. The Deps Slide Swimmer 175 is 3 oz and feels more in the zone, upper end really for what I like with the TB.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap