Olympic Vigore

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Olympic Vigore

Post by domthewon » Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:41 pm

Chode wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:19 pm

It sure helped me. Thank u!
No worries. Glad to help.

CReel83
Angler
Angler

Post by CReel83 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:23 am

domthewon wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:34 pm
CReel83 wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:49 pm
domthewon wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:40 pm
BassKat wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:16 pm
Thanks a whole lot, Dom! With the rod's top-end rating being 1oz this bodes well that the rod may not be too heavy for my needs. However, the website shows the rod's minimum line weight as 14lbs which seems heavy for a 1oz rod. In my mind, it being rated for just 1oz lures indicates that it's fairly thin-tipped and should give well enough under load to provide shock absorption for lighter lines (at least 12 if not 10lbs). Can you please verify the minimum line weight on the rod?
Hey,
So it is definitely a heavy powered rod. 7’ and 7’1” heavy powered rods are my favorite period. The ratings on the rod are 14-20lb. I have 12 lb fc sniper on it right now and it feels fine for me. I’ve only tried a 1/2 oz Deps jig and a cut down Damiki aircraw because that’s the same setup I have on my RSR except the RSR has 14 lb sniper. It is able to hop, skip, and pitch a jig beautifully at least for the 1/2oz jig and trailer I had tied on. The Vigore and RSR have similar power but the taper is a little slower and slightly less powerful feeling on the Vigore which will make it definitely more forgiving than the RSR at close range. I’ve lost a few fish on the RSR at the boat because the taper is really fast and powerful. I’m really looking forward to taking this rod out. It has some major potential. I will also tie on a 1/4 oz and 3/4 oz jig and trailer to get a better idea of the lure weight rating and how it reacts. I hope this helps a little bit. I don’t have much time with it yet but can tell it’s one that might be hard to put down.
Many thanks for the review.
I'm surprised you compare a H rod which is 1oz with the two Evergreen which are given for 3oz. The various tests carried out show that you are right, but that makes the rod atypical or underestimated, doesn't it? Do you think the GL can also make a good rod for the frog?
No worries. The thing about this rod is the blank material isn’t really comparable to any rod we have available in the US. The T1000g and Nano materials used in the Vigore are unique and perform similar to other brands that utilize these materials in their blanks. Unfortunately all the companies that use these materials are out of Japan and are very expensive. I only have a few rods I can actually compare it to. The material has an elastic feeling but is also very powerful. It also allows you to work lighter baits very nimbly while giving you amazing backbone power, and blank strength. The only company that uses the same materials but feel different are the Shimano/Jackall Poison Ultima. They tend to bend deeper into the blank before the backbone really kicks in than what they state their taper is supposed to be. Which is why I prefer mine for moving baits. The Olympic, Steez RD, Evergreen, and others tend to shut down into their backbone and hold their true suggested taper. Also since Olympic made the blanks for the Evergreen rods it seemed fitting for me to compare those 3 rods. The Super Stallion GT is rated a MH and from 3/8-3oz while the RSR is rated XHX with the same 3/8-3oz lure rating. There is only 1 gram difference between the SS GT and Vigore, and the RSR is 12 G heavier which probably accounts for reinforced materials somewhere in the blank. Ive only had my hands on it for a few days so it’s still early in its testing phase for me. I’m interested in tying on 3 oz baits on each just to see how similar they feel. I know there is more technology in the wrapping of the Evergreen blanks but I wouldn’t be surprised if they would all handle the 3 oz. and the Vigore just be underrated.

To be honest I really will have to try it with braid and a frog before making any suggestions on that. I will try it later today when I get some time. It definitely has the power and a nice tip, but the true fast nature of this rod with a deflection between that of the Super Stallion and the RSR might be my only concern for fishing over heavy vegetation. I honestly prefer either a slower taper with a little deflection like say the Racing Design Jigga Stick, or a faster taper with more deflection like the SS GT. It really helps keeping the fish pinned. I will compare it to the Jigga stick also because the SSGT and Jigga Stick Both do frog duties occasionally. I’ll have to get back to you on that. I hope my rambling made a little sense. Sometimes I can’t tell if what I type helps or not. I’m a real visual learner personally.
Thank you very much for this very complete feedback.
Of course it helps the little Frenchie that I am! Not necessarily to be reasonable but in any case not to be disappointed by ordering it and thinking that it will be used for techniques for which they would not have been made.
I have a good portion of the 2016 Vigore lineup and a few earlier models. They are all rather accurate at the level of the announced powers. So your review helps a lot. ;)
I think I have found the replacement for my X7 F7-71, or maybe its partner. :-k

I forgot, your TD-Z is beautiful!!

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:52 am

CReel83 wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:23 am
domthewon wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:34 pm
CReel83 wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:49 pm
domthewon wrote:
BassKat wrote:
Thanks a whole lot, Dom! With the rod's top-end rating being 1oz this bodes well that the rod may not be too heavy for my needs. However, the website shows the rod's minimum line weight as 14lbs which seems heavy for a 1oz rod. In my mind, it being rated for just 1oz lures indicates that it's fairly thin-tipped and should give well enough under load to provide shock absorption for lighter lines (at least 12 if not 10lbs). Can you please verify the minimum line weight on the rod?
Hey,
So it is definitely a heavy powered rod. 7’ and 7’1” heavy powered rods are my favorite period. The ratings on the rod are 14-20lb. I have 12 lb fc sniper on it right now and it feels fine for me. I’ve only tried a 1/2 oz Deps jig and a cut down Damiki aircraw because that’s the same setup I have on my RSR except the RSR has 14 lb sniper. It is able to hop, skip, and pitch a jig beautifully at least for the 1/2oz jig and trailer I had tied on. The Vigore and RSR have similar power but the taper is a little slower and slightly less powerful feeling on the Vigore which will make it definitely more forgiving than the RSR at close range. I’ve lost a few fish on the RSR at the boat because the taper is really fast and powerful. I’m really looking forward to taking this rod out. It has some major potential. I will also tie on a 1/4 oz and 3/4 oz jig and trailer to get a better idea of the lure weight rating and how it reacts. I hope this helps a little bit. I don’t have much time with it yet but can tell it’s one that might be hard to put down.
Many thanks for the review.
I'm surprised you compare a H rod which is 1oz with the two Evergreen which are given for 3oz. The various tests carried out show that you are right, but that makes the rod atypical or underestimated, doesn't it? Do you think the GL can also make a good rod for the frog?
No worries. The thing about this rod is the blank material isn’t really comparable to any rod we have available in the US. The T1000g and Nano materials used in the Vigore are unique and perform similar to other brands that utilize these materials in their blanks. Unfortunately all the companies that use these materials are out of Japan and are very expensive. I only have a few rods I can actually compare it to. The material has an elastic feeling but is also very powerful. It also allows you to work lighter baits very nimbly while giving you amazing backbone power, and blank strength. The only company that uses the same materials but feel different are the Shimano/Jackall Poison Ultima. They tend to bend deeper into the blank before the backbone really kicks in than what they state their taper is supposed to be. Which is why I prefer mine for moving baits. The Olympic, Steez RD, Evergreen, and others tend to shut down into their backbone and hold their true suggested taper. Also since Olympic made the blanks for the Evergreen rods it seemed fitting for me to compare those 3 rods. The Super Stallion GT is rated a MH and from 3/8-3oz while the RSR is rated XHX with the same 3/8-3oz lure rating. There is only 1 gram difference between the SS GT and Vigore, and the RSR is 12 G heavier which probably accounts for reinforced materials somewhere in the blank. Ive only had my hands on it for a few days so it’s still early in its testing phase for me. I’m interested in tying on 3 oz baits on each just to see how similar they feel. I know there is more technology in the wrapping of the Evergreen blanks but I wouldn’t be surprised if they would all handle the 3 oz. and the Vigore just be underrated.

To be honest I really will have to try it with braid and a frog before making any suggestions on that. I will try it later today when I get some time. It definitely has the power and a nice tip, but the true fast nature of this rod with a deflection between that of the Super Stallion and the RSR might be my only concern for fishing over heavy vegetation. I honestly prefer either a slower taper with a little deflection like say the Racing Design Jigga Stick, or a faster taper with more deflection like the SS GT. It really helps keeping the fish pinned. I will compare it to the Jigga stick also because the SSGT and Jigga Stick Both do frog duties occasionally. I’ll have to get back to you on that. I hope my rambling made a little sense. Sometimes I can’t tell if what I type helps or not. I’m a real visual learner personally.
Thank you very much for this very complete feedback.
Of course it helps the little Frenchie that I am! Not necessarily to be reasonable but in any case not to be disappointed by ordering it and thinking that it will be used for techniques for which they would not have been made.
I have a good portion of the 2016 Vigore lineup and a few earlier models. They are all rather accurate at the level of the announced powers. So your review helps a lot. ;)
I think I have found the replacement for my X7 F7-71, or maybe its partner. :-k

I forgot, your TD-Z is beautiful!!
No worries. It is an awesome rod for sure. I did try it with 65lb braid and a frog. It actually walks a frog really really well. I didn’t catch anything on it, and am still slightly concerned about the taper holding a fish that’s stuck in thick matted grass, but it has potential though. I’ll try it again when I have other dedicated jig rods on deck. I really wanted to catch some fish and the frog wasn’t doing it for me. I did however hook up with a couple in the 4lb range on a jig and a few in the 2-3lb range and it handled them beautifully. The rod tip did well to keep the fish that jumped pinned, and it doesn’t take as much pressure to keep the tip engaged as it seemed it would. It has all the hook setting power you need even with 12 lb line and a pretty thick hook. If I didn’t already have a fresh spool of 12 lb on I would have used 14lb because that’s the recommended and my preferred weight line for most jigs anyway. I can’t see anyone looking for a 3/8-3/4+ trailer jig rod being disappointed in this thing it has a lot going for it for the price.

Thanks, TD-Z’s never go out of style.

CReel83
Angler
Angler

Post by CReel83 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:07 pm

Thanks again. It really seems to be an awesome stick for the money. Now the dilemma will be which to choose. The 76MH would also please me for vertical fishing in deeper water with certainly less power. To be continued...

BassKat
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by BassKat » Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:54 am

domthewon wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:03 pm
domthewon wrote:
BassKat wrote:
Hey,
Just thought I’d add with a digital caliper it is I.7mm at the tip just behind the tips epoxy and the same for the RSR. The SS GT is 1.9mm. I would say that it is pretty thin tipped. Also there is more usable blank on the Vigore since the handle on it is shorter than the RSR and it’s an inch longer. The Vigore has 9 guides plus the tip while the RSR has 11 plus tip. The first two guides from the bottom of the Vigore are double footed and the rest are single. On the RSR the first 3 from the bottom are double footed and the rest are single. The guides are larger for the most part on the Vigore til you get to the tip then they seem to be the same. The more I play with both of these rods it feels like they modeled the Vigore after the RSR with a slightly more user friendly taper compared to the special taper of the RSR.

CA44CC9B-9086-4093-90EE-920B7712EEC2.jpeg

4DC6FA71-5F63-4744-87FB-95C46032EA41.jpeg
Man, Dom, I sure appreciate all of your very thoughtful feedback! With the rod handling 3/8 jigs pretty well and your suspicion that the rod may have enough taper to do a pretty good job keeping hung-up fish pinned in vegetation, it sounds like this rod is prime for what I'm looking for. With a trout/flyfishing background, I'm happiest with rods that are a touch finesse-e for their power. Some of my favorite rods for heavy apps have actually been medium-heavy pluses. I appreciate good speed to the tip but with a smooth forgiveness in the power delivery even if it doesn't go terribly deep into the blank. I'll be looking forward to your thoughts as you fish this rod. I'm so glad your pleased with it so far! Thanks a lot for your generous contributions to us here.
My Personal Worst https://photos.app.goo.gl/hHVeZoRFzGt5s4LfA

CReel83
Angler
Angler

Post by CReel83 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:06 am

Hi guys,
I finally ordered the 71H and the 77XH which replace two Megabass that I sold.
Thank you for your contributions which help us in our choices. ;) I look forward... :D
I would wait for the 610ML to come out to take the 76MH.

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:03 pm

BassKat wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:54 am
domthewon wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:03 pm
domthewon wrote:
BassKat wrote:
Hey,
Just thought I’d add with a digital caliper it is I.7mm at the tip just behind the tips epoxy and the same for the RSR. The SS GT is 1.9mm. I would say that it is pretty thin tipped. Also there is more usable blank on the Vigore since the handle on it is shorter than the RSR and it’s an inch longer. The Vigore has 9 guides plus the tip while the RSR has 11 plus tip. The first two guides from the bottom of the Vigore are double footed and the rest are single. On the RSR the first 3 from the bottom are double footed and the rest are single. The guides are larger for the most part on the Vigore til you get to the tip then they seem to be the same. The more I play with both of these rods it feels like they modeled the Vigore after the RSR with a slightly more user friendly taper compared to the special taper of the RSR.

CA44CC9B-9086-4093-90EE-920B7712EEC2.jpeg

4DC6FA71-5F63-4744-87FB-95C46032EA41.jpeg
Man, Dom, I sure appreciate all of your very thoughtful feedback! With the rod handling 3/8 jigs pretty well and your suspicion that the rod may have enough taper to do a pretty good job keeping hung-up fish pinned in vegetation, it sounds like this rod is prime for what I'm looking for. With a trout/flyfishing background, I'm happiest with rods that are a touch finesse-e for their power. Some of my favorite rods for heavy apps have actually been medium-heavy pluses. I appreciate good speed to the tip but with a smooth forgiveness in the power delivery even if it doesn't go terribly deep into the blank. I'll be looking forward to your thoughts as you fish this rod. I'm so glad your pleased with it so far! Thanks a lot for your generous contributions to us here.
No problem. Glad I could help. I’ve been using it a lot lately. Well worth the price.

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:04 pm

CReel83 wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:06 am
Hi guys,
I finally ordered the 71H and the 77XH which replace two Megabass that I sold.
Thank you for your contributions which help us in our choices. ;) I look forward... :D
I would wait for the 610ML to come out to take the 76MH.
Congrats. They are some sweet rods. The 77 XH sounds interesting. I like the handle on a lot.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:00 am

For people that have put these rods through its paces, what are your thoughts in terms of power, taper, and, sensitivity? How do they stack up to some of the best out there? Just want to hear more reviews before i pull the trigger

CReel83
Angler
Angler

Post by CReel83 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:33 pm

Chode wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:00 am
For people that have put these rods through its paces, what are your thoughts in terms of power, taper, and, sensitivity? How do they stack up to some of the best out there? Just want to hear more reviews before i pull the trigger
Yep,
For the three rods I own (742M, 71H and 77XH) the sensitivity is really good and better than the MB's I've owned. Unfortunetely I can't compare it with EG's or G.Loomis.
The taper is fast on the 71h and Regular Fast on both 742M and 77XH.
In terms of power, for me the 742M is not a real 3/16 - 3/4oz rod. Maybe more a 3/16-1/2oz rod. You can see the line power on the rod is only max PE 1.2.

The two casting are both undervalued. You can easily put 6oz on the 77XH and 2oz on the 71H.

I am really delighted with these three rods and you can go, it's gold bars

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:44 pm

CReel83 wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:33 pm
Chode wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:00 am
Yep,
For the three rods I own (742M, 71H and 77XH) the sensitivity is really good and better than the MB's I've owned. Unfortunetely I can't compare it with EG's or G.Loomis.
The taper is fast on the 71h and Regular Fast on both 742M and 77XH.
In terms of power, for me the 742M is not a real 3/16 - 3/4oz rod. Maybe more a 3/16-1/2oz rod. You can see the line power on the rod is only max PE 1.2.

The two casting are both undervalued. You can easily put 6oz on the 77XH and 2oz on the 71H.

I am really delighted with these three rods and you can go, it's gold bars
Going 2oz on the 7'1 is pretty impressive. Thx for all that

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:12 pm

Anyone got the 75M?

Someone help me understand this...the 75M rated to 1oz weighs 1 gram heavier than the 76MH rated to 2oz??

RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:48 pm

Look at the tip diameter. The MH is a larger in diameter blank and that must be whare the power comes from.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:56 pm

RMCatchNrelease wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:48 pm
Look at the tip diameter. The MH is a larger in diameter blank and that must be whare the power comes from.
Shouldn't that make the MH heavier, not lighter?

Check the rod weights...this doesn't make sense lol

drewlesch
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by drewlesch » Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:16 pm

reason162 wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:56 pm
RMCatchNrelease wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:48 pm
Shouldn't that make the MH heavier, not lighter?

Check the rod weights...this doesn't make sense lol
I don’t know for sure but I see two things which might explain the differential:
1. The closed length on the M is shorter, indicating that the handle is longer than the MH.
2. They do write about a balancing weight in their literature so it’s possible that they add weight to the M in order to achieve the optimal balance point