Olympic Vigore

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Olympic Vigore

Post by domthewon » Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:29 pm

Polkfish1 wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:24 pm
domthewon wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:15 pm
Polkfish1 wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:41 pm
Sweet rod Dom. Thanks for showing those tapers too.
Thanks man! I’m surprised you don’t have one yet. ;)
I have to say I’m kind of in the same boat as Aqua. I’ve been a little tear and need to simmer down a short bit. :lol:
I don’t blame you, and should be thinking the same way. With your lineup you’d be hard pressed to find nicer rods anyways.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:59 pm

Polkfish1 wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:18 pm
Aquaftm45 wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:02 pm
Polkfish1 wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:42 pm
Aquaftm45 wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:46 pm
domthewon wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:17 pm

:lol:
Sorry to disappoint buddy. Actually one of the rods I ordered wasn’t available yet due to limited stock and he isn’t sure when it will show up. I didn’t feel like waiting til he got word so I just had him ship me two Vigore 71H. It is my fishing partners B day next week so the second Vigore was really a surprise for him. I took my rod out sealed the tube back up and dropped it off at his door a little while ago. He was definitely not expecting a new rod and was very thankful. I also grabbed a 19 conquest 201 DC, and a bunch of brand new baits from a different vendor. I also got a bunch of DRT swimbaits which is always cool.
It's all good man, you know I am the jokester around here, all in good fun. That Conquest DC is on my "to do" list, but I have to let the dust settle from the Steez RD I just bought, more like sandstorm..
Sorry for the hijack. So which RD did you get?
No worries Polk. I am the OG OP of this thread. I picked up Winstondry's RD he had listed, the 701 MH..somthing somthing. You wont find anyone on here that takes better care of his equipment. Excuse me while I go make my own bologna sandwich, all I can afford now.
Excellent choice! But, it’s not like one could go wrong in that line.
More of a "when opportunity knocks" situation on the RD. I'm on a mission to have the MIJ 7 wonders of the world. Kaileido RS-Check, Luxxe Oltre-Check, SC Parodox-Check, Designo RD TBK-Check, Steez RD-Check. Just need a Poison Ultima and to figure out what is my 7th. Any suggestions?

This Vigore is a true testament to substance vs style. A veritable Mike Tyson as opposed to Hector Macho Camacho.

Dom, Bob Barker's got nothing on you in the showcase department..

kyty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by kyty » Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:06 pm

I've got 2 ultimas and have never threw them yet along with several other rods.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:29 pm

domthewon wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:24 pm
Here is a balance point pic. I have my full custom TD-Z R+ with ZPI PG spool, bearings, Star Drag, I’ze 90mm carbon handle, MB kanji’s, and hedgehog parts. It weighs 6.2 oz full of 12 lb sniper flouro. It balances right on that gunmetal piece.

3C52BBC4-A64D-4622-8BB8-C7B235A5F7F5.jpeg

Here are a Few pics of the taper against some Evergreen top offerings. Including the Rapid Gunner RSR and Super Stallion GT. The taper of the Vigore falls right between the two Evergreens. It is an awesome taper for all around bottom contact situations. It has more in common with the RSR than the SS GT as the GT has a little more versatile tip. I have a 1/2 oz jig tied on my RSR and dragged, hopped and a skipped them on it and the Vigore side by side and am straight up impressed. I haven’t tried my standard sensitivity test with tungsten weights and an empty wide gap hook yet but with a jig it’s really close. This rod is a pound for pound dollar for dollar heavy hitter. Depending on air quality tomorrow I may get out and try and rip some lips for a real world side by side. I’ll keep y’all updated.

RSR
6D936A42-0A02-483B-9943-1EB8798E359C.jpeg

VIGORE
D033D633-3FDB-4AAC-BB91-26985CE4ED84.jpeg

SSGT
9BCF652E-0D16-4E6E-A6BD-E2FD73CB5DB5.jpeg
Gorgeous. Thank you!!

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:41 pm

Aquaftm45 wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:59 pm
Polkfish1 wrote:
Aquaftm45 wrote:
Polkfish1 wrote:
Aquaftm45 wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:46 pm

It's all good man, you know I am the jokester around here, all in good fun. That Conquest DC is on my "to do" list, but I have to let the dust settle from the Steez RD I just bought, more like sandstorm..
No worries Polk. I am the OG OP of this thread. I picked up Winstondry's RD he had listed, the 701 MH..somthing somthing. You wont find anyone on here that takes better care of his equipment. Excuse me while I go make my own bologna sandwich, all I can afford now.
More of a "when opportunity knocks" situation on the RD. I'm on a mission to have the MIJ 7 wonders of the world. Kaileido RS-Check, Luxxe Oltre-Check, SC Parodox-Check, Designo RD TBK-Check, Steez RD-Check. Just need a Poison Ultima and to figure out what is my 7th. Any suggestions?

Oh man; have to throw out Sprirado blackart. But you’ve got your eye on the Biwa special. The blackart I picked up has been a gem. Power, versatility, balance... sensitivity is a given. Really built to last too. Your paradox might fill that niche, however. While on that subject, I’ve been thinking an ID rod is in my future at some point, but I’m thinking about their 24 piece (ha ha) travel rod.

Plus—that way maybe I can institute Dom’s travel rods don’t count rule of purchasing

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:53 pm

Polkfish1 wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:41 pm
Aquaftm45 wrote:
Polkfish1 wrote:
Aquaftm45 wrote:
Polkfish1 wrote:

I’ve been thinking an ID rod is in my future at some point, but I’m thinking about their 24 piece (ha ha) travel rod.
3 or 4 versions in stock at JLS...nudge nudge, come join me at the bologna bazaar.

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:56 pm

I have had a lot of free time today and just threw these 5 jigs. Sorry for stealing the thread, but I just wanted to put some info out there for the interested parties.
1) 9g TW
So definitely not my first choice rod for this lure weight and that’s with 12 lb line not the recommended 14lb. Casting distance and accuracy suffer. Once you get down to the bottom it works and hops the baits fine. I would look for another rod if this weight was your primary jig size.

2) 14g TW.
Once you hit the 1/2 oz mark it’s game on. It casts, pitches skips, this jig just fine. The tip is able to hop and work the bait much better. Not that it was bad with the 9g, but there is a big difference with a few grams added.

3)22.5g TW
Once again game on. It feels great all around.

4) 27g TW
So there is very little bend in the tip with this jig tied on. Working the bait along with everything else was what you want out of a bottom contact rod.

5)36.5g TW
Once again there was just a little bit of bend in the tip from this weight but didn’t feel overloaded at all to me. It would be the largest jig I would throw on this rod comfortably. Casting pitching and skipping are no problem, but like I said close to the top of the range.

In my opinion the lure rating would be more like 3/8-1 1/4oz with the sweet spot from 1/2-1oz. I could do anything I needed in that range and this rod did them very well. This rod is just too powerful for 1/4 oz TW and 3/8 is right at its bottom range. I hope this helps some decide whether this rod fits their needs better.
A15A92AF-4D05-45A5-B391-AE501E855BC0.jpeg
A15A92AF-4D05-45A5-B391-AE501E855BC0.jpeg (116.45 KiB) Viewed 5039 times

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:58 pm

Polkfish1 wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:41 pm
Aquaftm45 wrote:
Polkfish1 wrote:
Aquaftm45 wrote:
Polkfish1 wrote:

Oh man; have to throw out Sprirado blackart. But you’ve got your eye on the Biwa special. The blackart I picked up has been a gem. Power, versatility, balance... sensitivity is a given. Really built to last too. Your paradox might fill that niche, however. While on that subject, I’ve been thinking an ID rod is in my future at some point, but I’m thinking about their 24 piece (ha ha) travel rod.

Plus—that way maybe I can institute Dom’s travel rods don’t count rule of purchasing
If I don’t see it during inventory I can’t count it! 5 piece 7’2” Paradox looks fun. So does your Spirado!

rollyourboat
Angler
Angler

Post by rollyourboat » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:24 am

The 71H seems interesting. Any one want to share where they got their rods from? Looking back seems casterhouse is the only place to get it...

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:27 am

rollyourboat wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:24 am
The 71H seems interesting. Any one want to share where they got their rods from? Looking back seems casterhouse is the only place to get it...
There are a lot of places that you can find them for sale, but none of them ship here to the US. I had to have it sniped.

CReel83
Angler
Angler

Post by CReel83 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:04 pm

rollyourboat wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:24 am
Kazu from jpangler can order it at fair price. But I don’t know if he ship to US

CReel83
Angler
Angler

Post by CReel83 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:49 pm

domthewon wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:40 pm
BassKat wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:16 pm
Thanks a whole lot, Dom! With the rod's top-end rating being 1oz this bodes well that the rod may not be too heavy for my needs. However, the website shows the rod's minimum line weight as 14lbs which seems heavy for a 1oz rod. In my mind, it being rated for just 1oz lures indicates that it's fairly thin-tipped and should give well enough under load to provide shock absorption for lighter lines (at least 12 if not 10lbs). Can you please verify the minimum line weight on the rod?
Hey,
So it is definitely a heavy powered rod. 7’ and 7’1” heavy powered rods are my favorite period. The ratings on the rod are 14-20lb. I have 12 lb fc sniper on it right now and it feels fine for me. I’ve only tried a 1/2 oz Deps jig and a cut down Damiki aircraw because that’s the same setup I have on my RSR except the RSR has 14 lb sniper. It is able to hop, skip, and pitch a jig beautifully at least for the 1/2oz jig and trailer I had tied on. The Vigore and RSR have similar power but the taper is a little slower and slightly less powerful feeling on the Vigore which will make it definitely more forgiving than the RSR at close range. I’ve lost a few fish on the RSR at the boat because the taper is really fast and powerful. I’m really looking forward to taking this rod out. It has some major potential. I will also tie on a 1/4 oz and 3/4 oz jig and trailer to get a better idea of the lure weight rating and how it reacts. I hope this helps a little bit. I don’t have much time with it yet but can tell it’s one that might be hard to put down.
Many thanks for the review.
I'm surprised you compare a H rod which is 1oz with the two Evergreen which are given for 3oz. The various tests carried out show that you are right, but that makes the rod atypical or underestimated, doesn't it? Do you think the GL can also make a good rod for the frog?

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:34 pm

CReel83 wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:49 pm
domthewon wrote:
BassKat wrote:
Thanks a whole lot, Dom! With the rod's top-end rating being 1oz this bodes well that the rod may not be too heavy for my needs. However, the website shows the rod's minimum line weight as 14lbs which seems heavy for a 1oz rod. In my mind, it being rated for just 1oz lures indicates that it's fairly thin-tipped and should give well enough under load to provide shock absorption for lighter lines (at least 12 if not 10lbs). Can you please verify the minimum line weight on the rod?
Hey,
So it is definitely a heavy powered rod. 7’ and 7’1” heavy powered rods are my favorite period. The ratings on the rod are 14-20lb. I have 12 lb fc sniper on it right now and it feels fine for me. I’ve only tried a 1/2 oz Deps jig and a cut down Damiki aircraw because that’s the same setup I have on my RSR except the RSR has 14 lb sniper. It is able to hop, skip, and pitch a jig beautifully at least for the 1/2oz jig and trailer I had tied on. The Vigore and RSR have similar power but the taper is a little slower and slightly less powerful feeling on the Vigore which will make it definitely more forgiving than the RSR at close range. I’ve lost a few fish on the RSR at the boat because the taper is really fast and powerful. I’m really looking forward to taking this rod out. It has some major potential. I will also tie on a 1/4 oz and 3/4 oz jig and trailer to get a better idea of the lure weight rating and how it reacts. I hope this helps a little bit. I don’t have much time with it yet but can tell it’s one that might be hard to put down.
I'm surprised you compare a H rod which is 1oz with the two Evergreen which are given for 3oz. The various tests carried out show that you are right, but that makes the rod atypical or underestimated, doesn't it? Do you think the GL can also make a good rod for the frog?
No worries. The thing about this rod is the blank material isn’t really comparable to any rod we have available in the US. The T1000g and Nano materials used in the Vigore are unique and perform similar to other brands that utilize these materials in their blanks. Unfortunately all the companies that use these materials are out of Japan and are very expensive. I only have a few rods I can actually compare it to. The material has an elastic feeling but is also very powerful. It also allows you to work lighter baits very nimbly while giving you amazing backbone power, and blank strength. The only company that uses the same materials but feel different are the Shimano/Jackall Poison Ultima. They tend to bend deeper into the blank before the backbone really kicks in than what they state their taper is supposed to be. Which is why I prefer mine for moving baits. The Olympic, Steez RD, Evergreen, and others tend to shut down into their backbone and hold their true suggested taper. Also since Olympic made the blanks for the Evergreen rods it seemed fitting for me to compare those 3 rods. The Super Stallion GT is rated a MH and from 3/8-3oz while the RSR is rated XHX with the same 3/8-3oz lure rating. There is only 1 gram difference between the SS GT and Vigore, and the RSR is 12 G heavier which probably accounts for reinforced materials somewhere in the blank. Ive only had my hands on it for a few days so it’s still early in its testing phase for me. I’m interested in tying on 3 oz baits on each just to see how similar they feel. I know there is more technology in the wrapping of the Evergreen blanks but I wouldn’t be surprised if they would all handle the 3 oz. and the Vigore just be underrated.

To be honest I really will have to try it with braid and a frog before making any suggestions on that. I will try it later today when I get some time. It definitely has the power and a nice tip, but the true fast nature of this rod with a deflection between that of the Super Stallion and the RSR might be my only concern for fishing over heavy vegetation. I honestly prefer either a slower taper with a little deflection like say the Racing Design Jigga Stick, or a faster taper with more deflection like the SS GT. It really helps keeping the fish pinned. I will compare it to the Jigga stick also because the SSGT and Jigga Stick Both do frog duties occasionally. I’ll have to get back to you on that. I hope my rambling made a little sense. Sometimes I can’t tell if what I type helps or not. I’m a real visual learner personally.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:19 pm

domthewon wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:34 pm
CReel83 wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:49 pm
domthewon wrote:
BassKat wrote:
Hey,
No worries. The thing about this rod is the blank material isn’t really comparable to any rod we have available in the US. The T1000g and Nano materials used in the Vigore are unique and perform similar to other brands that utilize these materials in their blanks. Unfortunately all the companies that use these materials are out of Japan and are very expensive. I only have a few rods I can actually compare it to. The material has an elastic feeling but is also very powerful. It also allows you to work lighter baits very nimbly while giving you amazing backbone power, and blank strength. The only company that uses the same materials but feel different are the Shimano/Jackall Poison Ultima. They tend to bend deeper into the blank before the backbone really kicks in than what they state their taper is supposed to be. Which is why I prefer mine for moving baits. The Olympic, Steez RD, Evergreen, and others tend to shut down into their backbone and hold their true suggested taper. Also since Olympic made the blanks for the Evergreen rods it seemed fitting for me to compare those 3 rods. The Super Stallion GT is rated a MH and from 3/8-3oz while the RSR is rated XHX with the same 3/8-3oz lure rating. There is only 1 gram difference between the SS GT and Vigore, and the RSR is 12 G heavier which probably accounts for reinforced materials somewhere in the blank. Ive only had my hands on it for a few days so it’s still early in its testing phase for me. I’m interested in tying on 3 oz baits on each just to see how similar they feel. I know there is more technology in the wrapping of the Evergreen blanks but I wouldn’t be surprised if they would all handle the 3 oz. and the Vigore just be underrated.

To be honest I really will have to try it with braid and a frog before making any suggestions on that. I will try it later today when I get some time. It definitely has the power and a nice tip, but the true fast nature of this rod with a deflection between that of the Super Stallion and the RSR might be my only concern for fishing over heavy vegetation. I honestly prefer either a slower taper with a little deflection like say the Racing Design Jigga Stick, or a faster taper with more deflection like the SS GT. It really helps keeping the fish pinned. I will compare it to the Jigga stick also because the SSGT and Jigga Stick Both do frog duties occasionally. I’ll have to get back to you on that. I hope my rambling made a little sense. Sometimes I can’t tell if what I type helps or not. I’m a real visual learner personally.
It sure helped me. Thank u!

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:25 pm

When the heck are they going to release that medium light spinning stick??