Evergreen Orion

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
City17Banner
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Evergreen Orion

Post by City17Banner » Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:52 am

StymoDe wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:13 am
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:02 pm
StymoDe wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:00 pm
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:07 pm
Old thread - I've acquired the Lightning Strike and the Moongazer. Crazy light sticks with awesome tapers. Anyone else snag any of the other models?
How do you like Moongazer for single hook moving baits? like 3/8 to 1/2oz spinner bait, swimming jig and jack hammer? also did you try it for skipping?

I am looking for a 6'9 MH or H do everything and do well stick, EG Stallion a bit out of reach these days given the price... the literature on EG web gives me the impression that Moongazer is more for jig/worm style vertical presentations and it is hard to find first hand feedback on the Moongazer...and Stargazer, another rod I am trying to compare
Out of the gate, just know these rods ratings are very extreme from reality. The MG fishes like a typical MH - MH+, but it does take longer for the blank to shut off under heavier loads than the standard norm. I think it really excels at single hook moving baits, and I thoroughly enjoy fishing bigger paddle tails on quarter ounce heads with it. For bottom contact I typically turn to my Poison Glorious as the blank is a little more rigid - stiff and tight. I don't really fish anything over 5/8 oz total weight, but the MG feels like it probably has a good 550 grams of power or more (comparing to some custom blanks I'm familiar with). It should handle a half ounce jig with mid sized trailer, 5/8 oz total weight feels like it's wheel house. It's crazy light at 110 grams, fatigue free, and a real treat to fish imo. I'm not going to lie and make any crazy sensitivity claims, but they are definitely above average in that department. Honestly, the blanks feel quite similar to my custom Point Blanks, only lighter, and my customs are built in a minimalistic fashion and still very light. I think the name of the game here is tensile strength and a very solid weight to power ratio, definitely above average. Very versatile sticks indeed.
thanks bud, this is super helpful! no help to my wallet tho...lol
Hogsticker2 captured all the salient attributes of the Evergreen International Orion rod models, they are super lightweight and have a "steely" feel to them. I'm enjoying all of my Orion rods including the second Black Rose, but those two specific rods have been overshadowed by the new Tulala 22 Mostruo 74MHC casting rod, that rod is simply incredible for any 1-2oz soft swimbait and presents the 1oz Deps Buzzjet with unrivaled distance and hook setting authority.

Lastly, you already know my answer to the definitive 6'9" H powered do-everything well casting rod so there's no need to re-hash that discussion!

Good luck to your wallet sir! :lol:
2022 Vexus VX20/Mercury 250 Pro XS | 2021 Vexus AVX 1980/Mercury 150 Pro XS