Evergreen Orion

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Cranky
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Evergreen Orion

Post by Cranky » Thu May 21, 2020 4:13 pm

New 2020 Orion models from Evergreen on their website with some interesting specs.

https://www.evergreen-fishing.com/goods ... 680_1.html

7’1” H+ rated to 3oz that weighs 123g.

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Evergreen Orion

Post by domthewon » Fri May 22, 2020 1:57 pm

It looks pretty cool weighing 10 g less than the Super Stallions. Also the msrp puts it in the Keliedo range between the GT and RS price range of some of their models. Closer to release I’m sure we will see how they reduced the overall weight, were able to lower the bottom weight range down from 3/8 to 1/4 oz from the Super Stallions while keeping the 3oz max, and what type of wrap they used toward the tip to give it “instant power” maybe similar to the Rapid Gunners. I love Evergreens Eva Handles and the lockdown nut is one of the best. Im glad they used it in this Orión series.

poot04
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by poot04 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:20 pm

Anyone get there hands on one of these yet? If they are as good as they look, I will own one.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:37 pm

poot04 wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:20 pm
Anyone get there hands on one of these yet? If they are as good as they look, I will own one.
The Black Rose is in midst of the review regimen ;)
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

poot04
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by poot04 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:53 pm

Cal wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:37 pm
poot04 wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:20 pm
The Black Rose is in midst of the review regimen ;)
Awesome, looking forward to your review. Thanks

Allsorts
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Allsorts » Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:34 pm

I took a punt on the Black Rose, as a long time Evergreen enthusiast I've come to trust their design process and model descriptions. If, as often happens, the Black Rose gets a great review from the Dark JDM Lords, it will become impossible to get for awhile. Although a long time bass angler, I'll be using it for pike and rock fishing in the UK, big flukes and paddletails, 1/2oz Jika rigs, big spinnerbaits and a small swimbait or two.

rando
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rando » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:37 am

Anyone scored degel?

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:30 am

What sites are you guys using to purchase rods from Japan?

evilcatfish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by evilcatfish » Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:04 pm

HobeyBaker wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:30 am
What sites are you guys using to purchase rods from Japan?
Good question, I've been considering the Black Rose but it seems to be sold out at the usual places

evilcatfish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by evilcatfish » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:53 am

Anybody here (other than the TT crew) had a chance to snag an Orion yet?

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:07 pm

Old thread - I've acquired the Lightning Strike and the Moongazer. Crazy light sticks with awesome tapers. Anyone else snag any of the other models?

evilcatfish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by evilcatfish » Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:00 pm

I got the black rose and have it paired with a 22 zillion hd. Awesome combo

StymoDe
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by StymoDe » Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:00 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:07 pm
Old thread - I've acquired the Lightning Strike and the Moongazer. Crazy light sticks with awesome tapers. Anyone else snag any of the other models?
How do you like Moongazer for single hook moving baits? like 3/8 to 1/2oz spinner bait, swimming jig and jack hammer? also did you try it for skipping?

I am looking for a 6'9 MH or H do everything and do well stick, EG Stallion a bit out of reach these days given the price... the literature on EG web gives me the impression that Moongazer is more for jig/worm style vertical presentations and it is hard to find first hand feedback on the Moongazer...and Stargazer, another rod I am trying to compare

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:02 pm

StymoDe wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:00 pm
Hogsticker2 wrote:
How do you like Moongazer for single hook moving baits? like 3/8 to 1/2oz spinner bait, swimming jig and jack hammer? also did you try it for skipping?

I am looking for a 6'9 MH or H do everything and do well stick, EG Stallion a bit out of reach these days given the price... the literature on EG web gives me the impression that Moongazer is more for jig/worm style vertical presentations and it is hard to find first hand feedback on the Moongazer...and Stargazer, another rod I am trying to compare
Out of the gate, just know these rods ratings are very extreme from reality. The MG fishes like a typical MH - MH+, but it does take longer for the blank to shut off under heavier loads than the standard norm. I think it really excels at single hook moving baits, and I thoroughly enjoy fishing bigger paddle tails on quarter ounce heads with it. For bottom contact I typically turn to my Poison Glorious as the blank is a little more rigid - stiff and tight. I don't really fish anything over 5/8 oz total weight, but the MG feels like it probably has a good 550 grams of power or more (comparing to some custom blanks I'm familiar with). It should handle a half ounce jig with mid sized trailer, 5/8 oz total weight feels like it's wheel house. It's crazy light at 110 grams, fatigue free, and a real treat to fish imo. I'm not going to lie and make any crazy sensitivity claims, but they are definitely above average in that department. Honestly, the blanks feel quite similar to my custom Point Blanks, only lighter, and my customs are built in a minimalistic fashion and still very light. I think the name of the game here is tensile strength and a very solid weight to power ratio, definitely above average. Very versatile sticks indeed.

StymoDe
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by StymoDe » Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:13 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:02 pm
StymoDe wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:00 pm
Hogsticker2 wrote:

Out of the gate, just know these rods ratings are very extreme from reality. The MG fishes like a typical MH - MH+, but it does take longer for the blank to shut off under heavier loads than the standard norm. I think it really excels at single hook moving baits, and I thoroughly enjoy fishing bigger paddle tails on quarter ounce heads with it. For bottom contact I typically turn to my Poison Glorious as the blank is a little more rigid - stiff and tight. I don't really fish anything over 5/8 oz total weight, but the MG feels like it probably has a good 550 grams of power or more (comparing to some custom blanks I'm familiar with). It should handle a half ounce jig with mid sized trailer, 5/8 oz total weight feels like it's wheel house. It's crazy light at 110 grams, fatigue free, and a real treat to fish imo. I'm not going to lie and make any crazy sensitivity claims, but they are definitely above average in that department. Honestly, the blanks feel quite similar to my custom Point Blanks, only lighter, and my customs are built in a minimalistic fashion and still very light. I think the name of the game here is tensile strength and a very solid weight to power ratio, definitely above average. Very versatile sticks indeed.
thanks bud, this is super helpful! no help to my wallet tho...lol