Megabass Crankbait Rod

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
TNBankFishing
Angler
Angler

Megabass Crankbait Rod

Post by TNBankFishing » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:45 pm

Good evening everyone, the title says it all. I'm looking for an all around Megabass rod for squarebills to medium cranks. I've had no experience with glass rods and I'm looking for some input.

My current casting rods are FMJ, Ottomat and Wild Bunch, and I'm looking for something to round out the group.

If the rod can pull double duty even better, as I have limited space on my kayak or when I'm fishing from the bank.

Thanks!

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Megabass Crankbait Rod

Post by bronzefly » Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:08 am

I'm not a big fan of glass rods in general, especially when Megabass makes so many great graphite rods that will accomplish your tasks. The new P5 Cyclone is a super versatile 6'6" rod that would work nicely from your Kayak and shore fishing. The XXX Black Elseil II is another nice option as is the carbon head Lilypad Survivor. So many options, so little time :lol: Feel free to send me a PM for more info!
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:49 pm

All things Cyclone :big grin:

cnv
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by cnv » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:48 pm

Otomat works fine for square bills and medium divers even though its label as a topwater rod... soft enough and has a good bend for cranks.. I prefer otomat over swingfire..swingfire too soft

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:24 am

cnv wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:48 pm
Otomat works fine for square bills and medium divers even though its label as a topwater rod... soft enough and has a good bend for cranks.. I prefer otomat over swingfire..swingfire too soft
Agreed. The Otomat is a fantastic treble hook moving bait rod - square bills, DT-10, etc. I'm not a big fan of the overall feel and action of the Swingfire.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

TNBankFishing
Angler
Angler

Post by TNBankFishing » Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:02 pm

Thanks for the feedback! Works been a nightmare and I've not had time to check in.

I've heard the Otomat is great with lighter cranks, but I wonder if I would be better off with a dedicated rod which could handle everything. I feel like I'm almost there as far as next years tournament setup. I have a medium expride spinning setup and I think a cranking stick will cover all my bases.

The tough part is I'm not able to see any of the gear in use. Punchfishing on YouTube reviews a number of megabass rods, but it's all after he's had them a season and doesn't show them off in action. Sometimes seeing the techniques used and how the rod reacts helps me decide.

Do you think the Madbull in the P5 line would be overpowered? Its description makes me feel like it targets the upper end over 3/4 oz.

The Lillypad Survivor is intriguing. My Wild Bunch has impressed me by being so versatile, so I'm interested in that line. Are the carbon heads being discontinued? I thought I saw the USA Destroyers weren't being restocked because they were getting a redesign.

I have no experience with the XXX line. Worse than the usdm destroyers I can't find reviews or videos on them at all.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:06 am

Madbull is too much rod for what most guys want in a square bill or mid-depth crank rod. I was using mine throwing 1/2 oz spinner baits to standing timber over the weekend. It is a much better vibrating jig/spinner bait/larger heavier treble moving bait rod - like a full sized Vixen for example - than it is a 3/8 oz cranking rod.

That Lilypad Survior is an interesting choice however... it is more forgiving than the Madbull, yet still very versatile in general.

The XXX series is essentially the same thing as the US XX line, just made with JDM lengths, actions, and powers.

Regarding selection, sometimes you just have to take a leap of faith and give it a shot. I've handled and fished a lot of these rods and offer first hand input on them. Depending where you are in Tennessee, you might consider a trip to The Tackle Trap in Boaz, AL where you can put your hands on a bunch of these rods if that's what you prefer!
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:01 am

It used to be simple with Megabass and crankbait sticks. All you had to do was look at their Tomahawk series. There were a lot of nice sticks they produced in glass, composite, and graphite in that series. Now, it's a little more of a mixed pot.

My recommendation to you would be to check out the F5-75X Destroyer Javelin. That stick will handle squarebills and medium divers extremely well and you can turn around and fish vertical bait presentations with it too. Very versatile, extremely capable.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

jmb27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jmb27 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:40 am

TNBankFishing wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:45 pm
Good evening everyone, the title says it all. I'm looking for an all around Megabass rod for squarebills to medium cranks. I've had no experience with glass rods and I'm looking for some input.
I love the X7 Super Elseil for cranks! I mention this wondering "how close" the new P5 Z-Crank Elseil is (I know that similar named models across different MB lines can be very different when you fish w/them). Perhaps, Bronzefly or someone else can chime in with thoughts on the Z-Crank Elseil.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:13 am

The P5 Z-Crank Elseil is a very fun treble moving bait rod. It handles those little Z-cranks like a champ, and I've fished up to a Pop Max size top water on it effectively as well. It is an excellent all around treble hook moving bait rod - jerk baits, shallow to mid-cranks, top waters, etc. I haven't owned the Super Elseil X7 in some time, but the P5 Z-Crank Elseil falls ever so slightly under that rod in terms of power. A lot of folks are beginning to realize that these P5 blanks are by far the best from Megabass since the X7s, maybe better!
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

TNBankFishing
Angler
Angler

Post by TNBankFishing » Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:37 am

Cal wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:01 am
It used to be simple with Megabass and crankbait sticks. All you had to do was look at their Tomahawk series. There were a lot of nice sticks they produced in glass, composite, and graphite in that series. Now, it's a little more of a mixed pot.

My recommendation to you would be to check out the F5-75X Destroyer Javelin. That stick will handle squarebills and medium divers extremely well and you can turn around and fish vertical bait presentations with it too. Very versatile, extremely capable.
I was told last night the Javelin I ordered was damaged at the shop and couldn’t be shipped. Was a place I hadn’t ordered from previously and that was a mistake. I read your review and looked a little harder at the rod and realized how much folks liked it for a chatterbait, crank, and amazing all around rod.

I think I’m too late now to find another one. eBay is bare and the usual shops I buy from cleared out stock.

Do we have any idea when they will be releasing the next gen or US destroyers? Or should I look at the Levante EMTF instead?

I wonder how other folks handle “the one that got away” as far as gear goes.

fishonsc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by fishonsc » Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:06 am

TNBankFishing wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:02 pm
Thanks for the feedback! Works been a nightmare and I've not had time to check in.

I've heard the Otomat is great with lighter cranks, but I wonder if I would be better off with a dedicated rod which could handle everything. I feel like I'm almost there as far as next years tournament setup. I have a medium expride spinning setup and I think a cranking stick will cover all my bases.

The tough part is I'm not able to see any of the gear in use. Punchfishing on YouTube reviews a number of megabass rods, but it's all after he's had them a season and doesn't show them off in action. Sometimes seeing the techniques used and how the rod reacts helps me decide.

Do you think the Madbull in the P5 line would be overpowered? Its description makes me feel like it targets the upper end over 3/4 oz.

The Lillypad Survivor is intriguing. My Wild Bunch has impressed me by being so versatile, so I'm interested in that line. Are the carbon heads being discontinued? I thought I saw the USA Destroyers weren't being restocked because they were getting a redesign.

I have no experience with the XXX line. Worse than the usdm destroyers I can't find reviews or videos on them at all.

The F4-610K Black Elseil II Orochi XXX is one of my favorite rods. It handles mid depth cranks in the 3/8 to 5/8 range beautifully.

Jdmbassman
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Jdmbassman » Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:57 pm

What would folks use to throw an OSP Blitz EX DR on ? It gets down to around 12’ but it’s small at 2” and only weighs 7/16oz which makes me wonder if the new P5 Z Crank Elsiel could in fact handle it.