Shimano Calcutta Conquest BFS

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
nvbroncrider
Angler
Angler

Shimano Calcutta Conquest BFS

Post by nvbroncrider » Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:50 pm

So I scored one this morning that was in the states for $275.

Trying to figure out how I want to set it up. Got some options here. 10lb braid to FC leader or straight FC? Have 6lb Seaguar Abrazx or Tatsu or 8 lb Abrazx.

As for a rod I have a 6'6" light extra fast rod. Or I could run it on the one I'm building a 6'6" Point Blank MXF with Torzite micros.

Decisions Decisions!!

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Shimano Calcutta Conquest BFS

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:57 pm

Seems like you are overwhelmed with options. Perhaps you should sell it and rid yourself of the trouble. :whistle:

I imagine this is for finesse bass fishing with like Neds and such. I would go straight FC. Better slack line sensitivity and also will have more give than braid with the extra fast tip you got.

On the lighter end of rods, ex-fast can mean the tip bends then, the backbone does under more pressure or, it means the tip is soft with a stiff backbone. Without knowing what rod you have now, makes it harder to decide.

Should be fine either way.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:07 pm

Great reel. I run 10 lb braid on mine, mostly straight to the lure. I enjoy braid but have had so much fun with FC on BFS reels this year that I will likely go 6-8 lb FC when the reel needs new line.

nvbroncrider
Angler
Angler

Post by nvbroncrider » Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:39 am

I go enough I could start with FC and at the of 2 months try all the line combos I can think of.

nvbroncrider
Angler
Angler

Post by nvbroncrider » Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:36 pm

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:57 pm
Seems like you are overwhelmed with options. Perhaps you should sell it and rid yourself of the trouble. :whistle:

I imagine this is for finesse bass fishing with like Neds and such. I would go straight FC. Better slack line sensitivity and also will have more give than braid with the extra fast tip you got.

On the lighter end of rods, ex-fast can mean the tip bends then, the backbone does under more pressure or, it means the tip is soft with a stiff backbone. Without knowing what rod you have now, makes it harder to decide.

Should be fine either way.
Nope nope nope. Can't do that sir. Been contemplating a BFS reel for 2 years. Finally got one at an acceptable price. Thought the Calcutta 50 would have handled it better. So I got the one I want.

Rod I have now is very BFS like. I think it will match but need time to tell. One I'm building is a touch heavier but I think will work well as the tip is very soft. I guess I'll find out once it finished.

nvbroncrider
Angler
Angler

Post by nvbroncrider » Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:05 pm

All I can say is wow. It's an amazing piece of machinery. I can't wait to get it out and in action. Also got a 71 MGL K and I think that will be a heck of a reel. Can't wait to get them broke in!!

Will have to figure out which rods suit them and my uses but I'm thinking I'm gonna end up getting a CC 101HG as well. Yes I'm an addict with no know cure. Welcome to RADD!! (Rod & Reel Acquisition Deficit Disorder)