Calcutta Conquest 2021 vs Calcutta Conquest BFS

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Matavase83
Angler
Angler

Calcutta Conquest 2021 vs Calcutta Conquest BFS

Post by Matavase83 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:07 am

Hi All,

I have seen on Japantackle that a new Calcutta Conquest is going to hit the market starting end of March 2021.

I really love this gold color and am trying to convince myself :^o that I don't need one ](*,) , especially for the way I intend to use it for which is Trout fishing in river/stream with a casting rod that will throw lures around 5-10 gr.

Can someone help me out with a comparison between a Calcutta Conquest 100 size (with a Microcast spool i.e. Avail) against a Calcutta Conquest BFS? As far as I understand the CC BFS has the 100 size body so it's basically a normal CC with a lighter spool and the FTS brake system from Aldebaran BFS, is this more or less correct?

What will be the difference between a proper CC BFS and a standard CC with updated spool (there must be some other differences which you can't overcome with a lighter Spool, otherwise they wouldn't have released a BFS version, right?)

I have contacted Jun from Japantackle and he suggested that using an Avail spool will allow me to handle lures from 3-4 gr. upwards, I've never owned a round reel, I only have three low profile reels (Shimano Aldebaran BFS XG, Daiwa Alphas Air Stream Custom and Daiwa Steez 1016 SV TW) and therefore I'd like to try out a round.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Thank you very much
Christophe

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Calcutta Conquest 2021 vs Calcutta Conquest BFS

Post by ss30378 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:01 am

The 21 conquest from a physical dimension standpoint will palm smaller than the 14 model and bfs model since is sits lower than the older models. The conquest is a very smooth and solid feeling reel, solid aluminum constuction and brass gears just gives an airy buttery smooth feel the lightweight reels have a hard time providing.

For 5-10g the stock spool may do ok with that range if you use a thin soft line. My aldebaran mgl could handle that range without a problem. Down in the 2-4g range the bfs version walks away with the win. Lighter spool with less capacity is one advantage but the FTB braking is excellent with small baits, IMO better than centrifugal braking. I've used shimano 50e reels with avail spools and the vbs brakes, ktf spools with the svs brakes in the 15 aldebaran, multiple daiwa's with multiple spool and rotor types and the FTB and I think the FTB is right at the top with the daiwa air spools for ultimate lightweight capability.

Matavase83
Angler
Angler

Post by Matavase83 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:39 pm

Good Morning,

thank you for your answer!

So basically you're saying that the FTB brake system has the upper hand on any other brakes for low weight applications, correct?

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:52 am

Correct, the magnetic brake is very good with lightweights in the 2-4g range, better than the centrifugal brake setups I've used. The FTB has the control of the daiwa air system but can get great distance as well if i use something more aerodynamic or with a little more weight.

But as I stated once you get in the 5-10g range the mgl setups are excellent. My aldebaran 30mgl starts to shine once i get in the 5g range so you may want to try the stock conquest spool with a soft line and see how it does. 7-10g range weights cast like rockets with the MGL.

Fran87
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Fran87 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:28 pm

What do you think about 100 size as a swimbaiter reel for max 3oz?

Regards

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:50 am

I personally would want something with more capacity with swimbaits, at least a 200 size. My swimbait reel is a Luna 253 which holds quite a bit more than the 200 size.