Got a Megabass TD Ito help me validate my buy!

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
zrocketman
Angler
Angler

Got a Megabass TD Ito help me validate my buy!

Post by zrocketman » Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:54 am

Hey guys! Just pulled the trigger on this TD Ito in pretty great condition! I was already in the market for a megabass reel like the Rhodiums but saw this come up on a used tackle forum here in Korea. From what I read on the forums here I feel like it was a good choice to pull the trigger on it and that I should definitely upgrade the drag.

I got a Zillion SV TW that I am cannibalizing for parts (specifically the Zillion SV spool for my Daiwa T3 Mx). Would I be able to use the drag from the Zillion for my TD Ito and are there any other parts from the Zillion I could possibly use in the Ito?

Also, besides the rarity why do you folk love to fish with the Ito? I heard that its pretty wild with the stock spool but what specifically makes the TD Ito good to fish with? I'm planning to use this reel in the long run and want to get my thumb trained enough to tame the wild beast!

Thanks so much guys! and here are some photos of the reel!
Attachments
20210320_123047.jpg
20210320_123047.jpg (105.61 KiB) Viewed 4598 times
20210320_123102.jpg
20210320_123102.jpg (76.64 KiB) Viewed 4598 times
20210320_123016.jpg
20210320_123016.jpg (100.34 KiB) Viewed 4598 times

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Got a Megabass TD Ito help me validate my buy!

Post by Fishing4Fun » Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:26 am

First welcome and congrats on the purchase!

Second, the ITO is sought after for its looks and rarity first and foremost. This was one of the first reels that MB founder Yuki Ito tuned and put his stamp of approval on.

The TDZ platform is one of the most customize friendly. It takes a whole host of 34 mm spools. The sky is the limit from light baits to heavy baits. The only limitations are the higher speed gear ratio of the right hand models capping at 6:3.

What red spool is pictured in the corner? That might look nice with the red drag star on the reel

As far as your Zillion SV parts being put on the ITO you can put the handle, drag star, cc cap, and spool. Don't believe the drag stack will fit.

zrocketman
Angler
Angler

Post by zrocketman » Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:13 am

Fishing4Fun wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:26 am

Second, the ITO is sought after for its looks and rarity first and foremost. This was one of the first reels that MB founder Yuki Ito tuned and put his stamp of approval on.

The TDZ platform is one of the most customize friendly. It takes a whole host of 34 mm spools. The sky is the limit from light baits to heavy baits. The only limitations are the higher speed gear ratio of the right hand models capping at 6:3.

What red spool is pictured in the corner? That might look nice with the red drag star on the reel

As far as your Zillion SV parts being put on the ITO you can put the handle, drag star, cc cap, and spool. Don't believe the drag stack will fit.
Hey fishing4fun thanks so much for the answer! Can't wait to get my hands on it (its on its way!!!) Been in Korea for the last year and I've been super fortunate to live here cause Korean anglers in general are all gear heads and the second hand market place here for JDM stuff is great! I've been able to try my way through a bunch of different reels and I keep falling back to older models for some reason...

There wasn't much info on the posting when I bought the reel but the seller said it was a ZPI spool that holds 100m of 16lb line so I'm thinking its a ZPI rc 002. Do you have any knowledge on how the zpi spool performs compared to the stock TD ito one?

As far as the drag stack I was wondering if I could just use the Zillion drag washer as I've been having some trouble tracking down some drag washers for the TD ito.

Again thanks a ton!

eklikewhoa
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by eklikewhoa » Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:10 pm

Awesome score and with the zpi spool!

zrocketman
Angler
Angler

Post by zrocketman » Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:58 pm

eklikewhoa wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:10 pm
Awesome score and with the zpi spool!
Yeah I know got it for 350,000 korean won so for around $300. Thought it was a bit expensive at first but when I realized the spool would be easily $100+ so I had to pull the trigger.

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:17 am

That ZPI spool is the deep version, NRC-001. It's a solid all-round performer in the TD-Z platform with tons of line capacity.

zrocketman
Angler
Angler

Post by zrocketman » Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:12 am

adam lancia wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:17 am
That ZPI spool is the deep version, NRC-001. It's a solid all-round performer in the TD-Z platform with tons of line capacity.
Oh thanks Adam! yeah I didn't get any full details on the spool cause I was more interested in the stock and I haven't gotten the reel just yet... hopefully the postman's got a gift for me tomorrow!

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:34 pm

Great spool and great reel. I'd use the original spool with braid and the zpi spool with fluoro. The original spool is very fast, but i wouldn't say that its wild inside the tdz platform. Try it in the old steez platform and you will see what wild is 8-)

78Staff
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 78Staff » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:28 pm

I also picked one up of the Japan sites recently... probably paid too much but you don't find Left Hand versions practically NIB much anymore. Can't decide what I'm going to do with it. Mostly throwing TD-Z variants (Type R, 100ML, 103ML, and a few Personal Orders) and OG Steez's on various setups. I have a ZPI MJR RC002 that is supposed to match it perfectly, so will likely use that spool in it as well...

humph005
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by humph005 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:39 pm

I had 2 TD-Ito's back several years ago, but eventually sold them. I regret getting rid of them all the time! I will get around to buying at least one more again sometime soon... I think they are the best looking reel I have ever seen. I used mine with 6.3 aluminum gears from a steez, some boca spool bearings, and carbontex drag washers. Using a well-maintained TD-Ito is a great experience on its own, even if you don't catch a fish. Enjoy your reel!

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Gone Phishin » Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:00 pm

humph005 wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:39 pm
I had 2 TD-Ito's back several years ago, but eventually sold them. I regret getting rid of them all the time! I will get around to buying at least one more again sometime soon... I think they are the best looking reel I have ever seen. I used mine with 6.3 aluminum gears from a steez, some boca spool bearings, and carbontex drag washers. Using a well-maintained TD-Ito is a great experience on its own, even if you don't catch a fish. Enjoy your reel!
Hear hear. I only have one, and I am so happy I bought it when I did.

tditox4
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tditox4 » Thu May 20, 2021 5:52 pm

zrocketman wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:13 am
Fishing4Fun wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:26 am

Hey fishing4fun thanks so much for the answer! Can't wait to get my hands on it (its on its way!!!) Been in Korea for the last year and I've been super fortunate to live here cause Korean anglers in general are all gear heads and the second hand market place here for JDM stuff is great! I've been able to try my way through a bunch of different reels and I keep falling back to older models for some reason...

There wasn't much info on the posting when I bought the reel but the seller said it was a ZPI spool that holds 100m of 16lb line so I'm thinking its a ZPI rc 002. Do you have any knowledge on how the zpi spool performs compared to the stock TD ito one?

As far as the drag stack I was wondering if I could just use the Zillion drag washer as I've been having some trouble tracking down some drag washers for the TD ito.

Again thanks a ton!
I have 5 of them. One has that red spool in it, I also bought it that way. I use it ,spoiled with Sunland mono, for topwater walking hardbaits . I put 100mm lime colored daiwa handles on them all and the gold, wine red or metallic purple slp works knobs and colored dress up parts. The other 4, I put SV spools in, and they are used for Texas rigs.