My SV Boost reels, so far...

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: My SV Boost reels, so far...

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:55 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:09 pm
I'd agree with that, Lowrange. I just got an Alphas SV TW. It's a great reel, but it hasn't blown me away regarding casting distance. It's a superb reel all around, though.
Do you think using a ML or M rod, with 8 or 10lb fluoro, would the Zillion or Alphas cast further using 3/16 or 1/8 with plastics?

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:30 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:55 pm
hoohoorjoo wrote:
I'd agree with that, Lowrange. I just got an Alphas SV TW. It's a great reel, but it hasn't blown me away regarding casting distance. It's a superb reel all around, though.
Do you think using a ML or M rod, with 8 or 10lb fluoro, would the Zillion or Alphas cast further using 3/16 or 1/8 with plastics?
I'd opt for one of the newer Steez models for this myself. The Zillion is definitely not it. I'd probably pick up the Alphas CT before the SV TW for this as well.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:18 am

Looked into that, just a bit pressed cause we are expecting our first child. Again, my current SV105 does the job well on a ML, and my Zillion SVTW (CT body, 1st one) does the job great on a Medium with 10lb line. The other medium is a Steez A w/ZillSVTW spool and it also does great with 10lb fluoro on a Medium rod. Wish the Zillion SV1000 had a 1012 SV Boost for the 8 ratio.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:43 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:18 am
Looked into that, just a bit pressed cause we are expecting our first child. Again, my current SV105 does the job well on a ML, and my Zillion SVTW (CT body, 1st one) does the job great on a Medium with 10lb line. The other medium is a Steez A w/ZillSVTW spool and it also does great with 10lb fluoro on a Medium rod. Wish the Zillion SV1000 had a 1012 SV Boost for the 8 ratio.
Enjoy being a parent. It is amazing. One tip, never say no to an offer of babysitting! ;)

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:43 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
hoohoorjoo wrote:
I haven't used the new Zillion, so cant make that comparison. I did toss a T-rig with a 1/8 bullet weight, 3/0 hook and a zoom u-tail worm yesterday and I have no complaints about the distances I was achieving. I did blow it up while trying to squeeze a few feet more out if it, but that was my fault. I snagged a string of lights on the gazebo behind by the edge of the pond.🤦‍♂️😳
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:40 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:43 am
DirtyD64 wrote:
hoohoorjoo wrote:
I haven't used the new Zillion, so cant make that comparison. I did toss a T-rig with a 1/8 bullet weight, 3/0 hook and a zoom u-tail worm yesterday and I have no complaints about the distances I was achieving. I did blow it up while trying to squeeze a few feet more out if it, but that was my fault. I snagged a string of lights on the gazebo behind by the edge of the pond.🤦‍♂️😳
Fancy club pond fishing eh

4g63power
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 4g63power » Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:58 pm

Same on the alphas sv tw. It's a really nice reel, especially for the money, but there's something holding back with casting. I expected it to be close to ct sv 70 with finesse stuff on ML/Mish rods but no, it's better on M/MHish rod, even then i don't think it casts better than alphas sv 105 or even steez ltd sv 105 overall. Still trying to find the sweet spots with mine.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:30 pm

4g63power wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:58 pm
Same on the alphas sv tw. It's a really nice reel, especially for the money, but there's something holding back with casting. I expected it to be close to ct sv 70 with finesse stuff on ML/Mish rods but no, it's better on M/MHish rod, even then i don't think it casts better than alphas sv 105 or even steez ltd sv 105 overall. Still trying to find the sweet spots with mine.
I've only had my 21 Alphas SV TW 800 for a few days, but I've been throwing the new Shower Blow 77.7 on a prototype 69M rod and it's been a blast. I really enjoy the Alphas CT SV 70 as well and wanted a little more line capacity because I was casting all the 13# Defier off of it with that bait, so thought I'd give this one a shot. I haven't had the opportunity to play around with finesse oriented baits with it yet, but it will flat out launch that little 777 on this rod... I never expected the 21 800 to be anywhere near the finesse capabilities of the 70CT however.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:29 pm

bronzefly wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:30 pm
4g63power wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:58 pm
I've only had my 21 Alphas SV TW 800 for a few days, but I've been throwing the new Shower Blow 77.7 on a prototype 69M rod and it's been a blast. I really enjoy the Alphas CT SV 70 as well and wanted a little more line capacity because I was casting all the 13# Defier off of it with that bait, so thought I'd give this one a shot. I haven't had the opportunity to play around with finesse oriented baits with it yet, but it will flat out launch that little 777 on this rod... I never expected the 21 800 to be anywhere near the finesse capabilities of the 70CT however.
Defier for life 💪

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:37 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:29 pm
Defier for life 💪
Absolutely. Presently, Defier is my go to premium mono line. I enjoy Super Natural on the cheap, but the Defier difference is evident.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:35 am

Well I still cannot decide... comparing spools weights, I think the Zillion Boost and original SVTW are about the same. Not sure on the Alphas SVTW spool weight... I just wonder if I really need to upgrade or not... should I just wait for a sale or are these new reels hot enough I should grab one now where I don't miss out?

Also considering selling an original Zillion SV TW spool, what do they go for? One of my SV TW's has a BFS spool and sits on a BFS rod rather than a M/MH. Wish I could find a cheap reel to take the 1016 bfs spool and re purpose the Zillion to bass duties.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:20 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:35 am
Well I still cannot decide... comparing spools weights, I think the Zillion Boost and original SVTW are about the same. Not sure on the Alphas SVTW spool weight... I just wonder if I really need to upgrade or not... should I just wait for a sale or are these new reels hot enough I should grab one now where I don't miss out?

Also considering selling an original Zillion SV TW spool, what do they go for? One of my SV TW's has a BFS spool and sits on a BFS rod rather than a M/MH. Wish I could find a cheap reel to take the 1016 bfs spool and re purpose the Zillion to bass duties.
I picked up a T3 MX for $73 shipped and an SS SV105 for $160 shipped from bass.co.jp used reel section. They were both on like new or nearly like new condition. The T3 even came with a bunch of purple parts.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:17 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:

What is the 1016 bfs spool? Are you referring to the Zillion SV TW spool, or maybe the Steez SV TW 1012 spool? The T3 is the least expensive platform for plug and play. For me, the footprint and ergonomics of the new Zillion make it well worth having, spools aside. The clicking drag is a nice touch too. In terms of comfort, I'd stick it right between the Steez SV TW and an Alphas.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:25 am

LowRange wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:20 am
DirtyD64 wrote:

I picked up a T3 MX for $73 shipped and an SS SV105 for $160 shipped from bass.co.jp used reel section. They were both on like new or nearly like new condition. The T3 even came with a bunch of purple parts.
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:17 pm
DirtyD64 wrote:

What is the 1016 bfs spool? Are you referring to the Zillion SV TW spool, or maybe the Steez SV TW 1012 spool? The T3 is the least expensive platform for plug and play. For me, the footprint and ergonomics of the new Zillion make it well worth having, spools aside. The clicking drag is a nice touch too. In terms of comfort, I'd stick it right between the Steez SV TW and an Alphas.
The used T3 sounds perfect. As far as the spool I am using, it is one of the $50 range Aliexpress BFS DIY spools, actually works well. Using 4lb Sufix Nanobraid, with a 4-7lb fluoro leader I really enjoy it. I just hate thinking I am wasting one of my better reels for such lightweight duty. I would have put my SS/SV up for the job, but I seriously love that reel with the Steez A spool for a 7' Medium moderate cranking rod. I will check eBay and other used areas for some deals, just locally there is NOTHING. I can list an upper echelon rod/reel and it literally sells in NO TIME for like 90% return.
I wish I could find something 1016 size even a little beat up, my BFS build is a car rod anyways, just need good internals is all and 1016 capabilities.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:58 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:25 am
LowRange wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:20 am
DirtyD64 wrote:

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:17 pm
DirtyD64 wrote:

The used T3 sounds perfect. As far as the spool I am using, it is one of the $50 range Aliexpress BFS DIY spools, actually works well. Using 4lb Sufix Nanobraid, with a 4-7lb fluoro leader I really enjoy it. I just hate thinking I am wasting one of my better reels for such lightweight duty. I would have put my SS/SV up for the job, but I seriously love that reel with the Steez A spool for a 7' Medium moderate cranking rod. I will check eBay and other used areas for some deals, just locally there is NOTHING. I can list an upper echelon rod/reel and it literally sells in NO TIME for like 90% return.
I wish I could find something 1016 size even a little beat up, my BFS build is a car rod anyways, just need good internals is all and 1016 capabilities.
Keep an eye out on bass.co.jp. They had 3 T3 MX for under $100 at one point. I nabbed the purple one.