My SV Boost reels, so far...

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

My SV Boost reels, so far...

Post by bronzefly » Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:46 pm

I'm the proud owner of three brand new Daiwa technology SV Boost, Hyperdrive reels. I have the US Zillion SV TW G, the Steez Limited SV TW, and the Steez A TW HLC. I've been fishing these three reels on various prototype Daiwa rods over the past few weeks, both on the lakes and in the ponds where I have immediate and easy access. I've primarily been focused on FC lines, namely J-Fluoro Samurai, but I've also fished YGK and Samurai braid. I've thrown a wide range of baits on these combos, played around with the brake settings, worked on skipping, long distance casting, used various degrees of high and low resistance baits, and done as much as I could in a short amount of time across the spectrum.

I am unapologetically a fan of Daiwa reels and have been using their reels primarily for many years now. I have had the pleasure and fortunate opportunity to fish most all of them from the Fuego to the Steez CT, from stock to tricked out to the max. These new reels i am fishing bone stock as I always do with new reels, especially those that feature such significant changes as the SV Boost and Hyperdrive.

While it is an impressive reel that I have no intention of parting with anytime soon, the Steez Limited strikes me as almost not worth the price of admission. Almost, unless you're a crazy enthusiast like me and just have to try it out or you want to complete a collection, or some other justification enthusiasts use to get the latest and greatest. Yes, it's a limited Steez, has the new technology, and is absolutely beautiful in person, performs as one would expect a premium limited Steez with all the newest bells and whistles, but, side by side with my tricked out US Steez SV TW with the ZPI PG spool, ZPI bearings, star, zero adjuster, etc... yes, retail $225+ in ZPI parts alone on top of a $550 retail reel, it hasn't blown my skirt up like I thought it might :lol: I'm not taking anything away from this reel, it's a joy to fish and look at indeed, but again, almost not worth the price of admission unless you fall into one of the aforementioned categories. I'm not selling it though and look forward to a lot more time on the water with this piece.

The Steez A TW HLC, now that's been interesting so far. On a 79H with 18# J-Fluoro Samurai and a 1 oz Dark Sleeper, this thing feels like the line is flowing off the spool to a point where I wondered if I could set the hook when it hit the bottom in 20' at that distance. Mag-Z Boost has me genuinely intrigued coming from a big fan of Mag-Z spools for distance casting, having years on the water with other HLC spools, and many Mag-Z variants, I know this new version is something that gets it done. I left the zero adjuster factory set, set the mag dial at 10 and started casting and wow. Great control, great distance, and a level of fluidity that I've come to know and love in a high end Daiwa reel.

Despite the undeserved stigma of being built in a Daiwa owned and operated factory outside of Japan, the US Zillion SV TW G has my utmost attention at this point. So much so that I've moved out a few excellent specimens that I have enjoyed and used for some time now in order to make room for a few more once the supply catches up to the demand. I've always had a preference for brass gears despite the additional weight. We see a LOT of reels move through the reel repair shop from various manufacturers, and if I can get a reel with brass gears as an option, that is my preference based on experience both on and off the water. This new Zillion G is impressive in terms of both performance and price point. I've fished it on a prototype 69MH with spinner baits, vibrating jigs, swim jigs, and skipping jigs, a 73MH with much the same and some tungsten casting jigs, a 69M with jerk baits, square bills, mid-depth cranks like a DT-10, shaky heads, finesse jigs, and so on. While it isn't quite as capable on the finesse side as say a Steez CT or SV TW, this reel gets it done as a work horse all around great fishing reel, but still handles lighter stuff reasonably well paired with the right rod and line. I very much enjoy the palming profile, the casting distance, control, and it actually skips better than I thought it would.

I wanted to take a few minutes to share some of my initial thoughts and experiences with these three specific reels that I know aren't widely distributed at this point in hopes that it may offer a little insight and kick off a conversation on your experiences, or what you may expect in them if you haven't had the opportunity to grab one yet. Please chime in with anything you may have to offer and let's get out there, enjoy this Spring 2021 and catch some fish!!
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: My SV Boost reels, so far...

Post by SSS » Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:29 pm

Have not tried them, but i hope they aren't as disappointing (for distance casting) as all the standard SV spools are.

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:31 pm

You sir, are a jerk [-X . Just when I thought I could get out of the high end game. But that Zillion sure has me rethinking things :-k.

Bravo on the impressions =D>

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:57 am

SSS wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:29 pm
Have not tried them, but i hope they aren't as disappointing (for distance casting) as all the standard SV spools are.
I own 17 Tatula SV, 20 Tatula SV, 16 Zillion SV TW, 16 Steez SV TW to name a few SV reels and they are all proficient in terms of casting distance. The shortest casting of them all for me is the 17 Tatula, but again, with some adjustment and a frog or lipless bait for example, I could cast it perfectly acceptable distances. Granted, I have a lot of time on the water with these reels and I also understand (and don't complain about) the fact that SV technology isn't intended to be the longest casting reel on the market, rather a platform with fantastic back lash control, excellent skipping capabilities, and impressive overall ease of use. Casting distance is only one component, and frequently isn't the most important component when selecting a reel for an application or a set of applications.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:23 am

I really like the new Zillion especially at the price point.
Ditto the Steez A HLC, which I hadn't even noticed came with boost technology.
Both are beautiful reels and I love the audible drag when line is taken out.

Initially placed an order, but then cancelled said order, for the Steez limited. I consider myself enthusiast and may end up buying the reel, but the price is a bit much when you get such good reels in the new Zillion, "old" Steez, the Morethan and other reels that are at least a bit cheaper.

If you had asked me 10 years ago, Daiwa would not have been my favourite reel producer. Today, Daiwa is undoubtedly top choice when it comes to baitcasters, at least in my book. You and others on this site have persuaded me ;)

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:32 am

I have a 21 Zillion 6.3 that I've used the past 2 weekends. I also have a 7.1 and 8.5 on backorder from Tackle Trap. My opinion so far on the 6.3 is positive. I have a couple OG Zillions and several SV103's in my lineup. The 21 Zillion is an ounce lighter and palms better. It casts and pitches better, except for a 50th Ann. Zillion with a TDZ 100M spool that I have. It's on par with this reel. The 21 Zillion does not feel over braked like the SV103. As you can tell, I like the 1st gen Zillion but have never had the desire to purchase any of the new variants. They felt bulky and there was never enough buzz about them to make me seek one out. The new Zillion has changed that for me. I feel like Daiwa finally offered a new Zillion worth trying.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:13 pm

bronzefly wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:57 am
SSS wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:29 pm
I own 17 Tatula SV, 20 Tatula SV, 16 Zillion SV TW, 16 Steez SV TW to name a few SV reels and they are all proficient in terms of casting distance. The shortest casting of them all for me is the 17 Tatula, but again, with some adjustment and a frog or lipless bait for example, I could cast it perfectly acceptable distances. Granted, I have a lot of time on the water with these reels and I also understand (and don't complain about) the fact that SV technology isn't intended to be the longest casting reel on the market, rather a platform with fantastic back lash control, excellent skipping capabilities, and impressive overall ease of use. Casting distance is only one component, and frequently isn't the most important component when selecting a reel for an application or a set of applications.
If you're fishing from a boat, you really don't need much distance in most cases, but i can tell you that fishing from the bank, an R+ spool compared to the orange RCS Steez spool or the Steez SV TW stock spools (as a few examples) are so far behind. I see a lot of people praising them because you can "thumb free" SV spools. Well, if they're this overbreaked, why won't you be able to thumb free them? Outside of skipping, i really don't see the point of SV spools, personally.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:08 pm

SSS wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:13 pm
If you're fishing from a boat, you really don't need much distance in most cases, but i can tell you that fishing from the bank, an R+ spool compared to the orange RCS Steez spool or the Steez SV TW stock spools (as a few examples) are so far behind. I see a lot of people praising them because you can "thumb free" SV spools. Well, if they're this overbreaked, why won't you be able to thumb free them? Outside of skipping, i really don't see the point of SV spools, personally.
I fish from a boat often, and I fish from the bank often in the ponds. There are instances where I'm boat fishing flats with a lipless, burning a spinner bait, tossing a swim bait, deep cranking, fishing a football jig, and other instances where distance is very important, and frequently. I understand the characteristics of my reels and choose accordingly, SV equipped reels included. I've never considered them "over braked" rather controlled by design, but even that is easily managed for distance with the brake dial and or cast control/zero adjuster. One can free up an SV reel enough using those two easily manipulated controls to absolutely need a trained thumb when casting, and achieve more than adequate distance. Steez A HLC or even Tatula Elite Long Cast distance with ease, no, of course not, but that's also by design.

I do agree that the orange RCS Steez spool is less than impressive as it comes, but it can be tweaked to make it palatable, even enjoyable. I couldn't stand it when I first fished it, but after the tweaks made by Bryan at TT, it's significantly improved in terms of overall performance. I'm also a big fan of the R+ platform and have a TD-Z 103ML R+ that is beat up, has landed some serious fish in its life, and is my go to bank fishing reel for both sentimental and performance reasons.

The point of SV spools lies in the basic concept that names them, "stress free versatile." Set up a 2020 Tatula SV TW with a factory zero adjuster and 15 on the brake dial and sling away thumb free, it really doesn't backlash much at all unless you slam a dock piling mid-cast. Granted, you won't get epic distance, but back off the zero adjuster, drop it down to 5 and that is an entirely different story. SV spools by design and concept are NOT made for achieving the longest distance casts possible, nor are they or will they ever be marketed as such. They are intended to offer both beginning anglers ease of use without endless backlashes, but also advanced anglers who understand the concept behind them to take advantage of tossing a jerk bait into a stiff wind, skipping a jig up under a dock, fighting a nasty cross wind with a high resistance spinner bait, and yes, tossing lighter baits with far less problems than many non-SV equipped reels. They aren't for everyone, but they are exactly what they are intended to be.

Back to the original point, SV Boost takes into consideration the concept of "stress free versatile" and adds an overall "boost" when it comes to casting distance. I am still in the early stages of playing around with this new technology, but have considerable time on the water with the previous generation of SV reels. What I'm seeing so far is that Daiwa has figured out a way to "boost" the distance, while keeping many of the attributes that have made the SV concept so popular and widely accepted among both advanced anglers, as well as new anglers. I'm looking forward to a great spring of fishing with these reels, and as stated, I'll be adding to my 2021 Zillion G SV TW arsenal as soon as supply starts to catch up, in the meantime, i"ll be working my one heavily!
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:47 pm

Excellent. I still prefer my Steez SV TW with the Zpi Nrc001-m spool. I guess the main reason is that I find it more universal - it will allow me to cast down to 1/8 with relative ease. Though I do like the new Zillion footprint a bit better. And as always, I'm going to try some spool swapping soon. Gonna try the boost spool in some different Steez platforms, along with a few TDZs. I want to try the KTF Neo versatile spool, SV1012, Mag Z 1012, and the Neo in the new Zilly. Ya just never know.

Bbrotz
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bbrotz » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:40 am

bronzefly wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:46 pm
I've been fishing these three reels on various prototype Daiwa rods over the past few weeks, both on the lakes and in the ponds where I have immediate and easy access.
I’m more interested in these prototype Daiwa rods you were using :-k I wonder when they will revamp the Daiwa AGS line. I would definitely be first in line for a couple spinning rods if they ever do.

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:28 am

Gary, will the TT carry the SV Boost spools?

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:23 am

Bbrotz wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:40 am
bronzefly wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:46 pm
I've been fishing these three reels on various prototype Daiwa rods over the past few weeks, both on the lakes and in the ponds where I have immediate and easy access.
I’m more interested in these prototype Daiwa rods you were using :-k I wonder when they will revamp the Daiwa AGS line. I would definitely be first in line for a couple spinning rods if they ever do.
:whistle: :big grin:
HobeyBaker wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:28 am
Gary, will the TT carry the SV Boost spools?
Absolutely. Unfortunately, new spools, gear sets, and other parts for new platform reels often take 4 to 6 months to be available for order. TT has already requested these items from Daiwa and announcements will be made on social media platforms as soon as they are in stock.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

DrPerf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DrPerf » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:19 pm

The SV Boost spool(s) are scheduled to be available in May via a Japanese vendor (not sure about posting the link here) and can be pre-ordered now. The vendor is also listing parts for the new Zillion.

Antonese
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Antonese » Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:08 am

bronzefly wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:08 pm
SSS wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:13 pm
I fish from a boat often, and I fish from the bank often in the ponds. There are instances where I'm boat fishing flats with a lipless, burning a spinner bait, tossing a swim bait, deep cranking, fishing a football jig, and other instances where distance is very important, and frequently. I understand the characteristics of my reels and choose accordingly, SV equipped reels included. I've never considered them "over braked" rather controlled by design, but even that is easily managed for distance with the brake dial and or cast control/zero adjuster. One can free up an SV reel enough using those two easily manipulated controls to absolutely need a trained thumb when casting, and achieve more than adequate distance. Steez A HLC or even Tatula Elite Long Cast distance with ease, no, of course not, but that's also by design.

I do agree that the orange RCS Steez spool is less than impressive as it comes, but it can be tweaked to make it palatable, even enjoyable. I couldn't stand it when I first fished it, but after the tweaks made by Bryan at TT, it's significantly improved in terms of overall performance. I'm also a big fan of the R+ platform and have a TD-Z 103ML R+ that is beat up, has landed some serious fish in its life, and is my go to bank fishing reel for both sentimental and performance reasons.

The point of SV spools lies in the basic concept that names them, "stress free versatile." Set up a 2020 Tatula SV TW with a factory zero adjuster and 15 on the brake dial and sling away thumb free, it really doesn't backlash much at all unless you slam a dock piling mid-cast. Granted, you won't get epic distance, but back off the zero adjuster, drop it down to 5 and that is an entirely different story. SV spools by design and concept are NOT made for achieving the longest distance casts possible, nor are they or will they ever be marketed as such. They are intended to offer both beginning anglers ease of use without endless backlashes, but also advanced anglers who understand the concept behind them to take advantage of tossing a jerk bait into a stiff wind, skipping a jig up under a dock, fighting a nasty cross wind with a high resistance spinner bait, and yes, tossing lighter baits with far less problems than many non-SV equipped reels. They aren't for everyone, but they are exactly what they are intended to be.

Back to the original point, SV Boost takes into consideration the concept of "stress free versatile" and adds an overall "boost" when it comes to casting distance. I am still in the early stages of playing around with this new technology, but have considerable time on the water with the previous generation of SV reels. What I'm seeing so far is that Daiwa has figured out a way to "boost" the distance, while keeping many of the attributes that have made the SV concept so popular and widely accepted among both advanced anglers, as well as new anglers. I'm looking forward to a great spring of fishing with these reels, and as stated, I'll be adding to my 2021 Zillion G SV TW arsenal as soon as supply starts to catch up, in the meantime, i"ll be working my one heavily!
Very very well said Gary! I totally agree. There are some that refuse to touch the "zero adjuster" and are not experiencing all the abilities of this tech/design.

Fran87
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Fran87 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:18 pm

I just tried my Steez Sv boost limited this past week and by the way I was experimenting more dificulties in terms of skipping...

The reel is awesome and looks impressive but I think the normal SV are better in terms of skipping...

Maybe I need more time with it in the water but these are my first impressions.

Regards