My SV Boost reels, so far...

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
y2k88
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: My SV Boost reels, so far...

Post by y2k88 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:42 pm

For me, the boost spring feels like it has been most helpful in taming the big rpm spike at the start of the cast so there is less chance of a backlash, and any cast is longer than a backlash :lol: . Helps with taming the initial fluff in the absence of a well trained thumb. Still feels a little choked towards the end of the cast, but m I'm getting the distance i need anyway.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:06 am

DrPerf wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:29 am
While working on my new Zillion, I inadvertently 'lost' the little SV Boost spring. And that specific part will not be available until the end of May.

As an experiment, I tried casting without the SV Boost spring, and was total surprised. Casting distance performance was identical to with the spring, in both cases outstanding. I have a "casting park' with locations and targets marked so that I can, to a significant degree, quantify changes with different combinations, components, tuning, etc. rather experimenting when I am 'on the water'.

My preliminary observation is that there is no difference with or without the SV Boost spring in my usage. Other users/usage may have a different experience.

I have used the Zillion without the SV Boost spring in three club tournaments and casting performance at all distances has been exactly what I expected.

When I acquire a replacement SV Boost spring, I will repeat the comparison with a tad more rigor because the current comparison was not "back to back" and relied on my memory of the performance with the SV Boost spring present.

Doc
Do you use left hand reels? You you use the same grip on the rod to cast as you do when palming? I have a theory that the boost spring is there to deal with those who cast hard and whip the cast (pretty standard for US right hand anglers) and find the SV spools choked off at the end of the cast when running middle of the dial settings.

DrPerf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DrPerf » Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:09 pm

LowRange wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:06 am
DrPerf wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:29 am
While working on my new Zillion, I inadvertently 'lost' the little SV Boost spring. And that specific part will not be available until the end of May.

As an experiment, I tried casting without the SV Boost spring, and was total surprised. Casting distance performance was identical to with the spring, in both cases outstanding. I have a "casting park' with locations and targets marked so that I can, to a significant degree, quantify changes with different combinations, components, tuning, etc. rather experimenting when I am 'on the water'.

My preliminary observation is that there is no difference with or without the SV Boost spring in my usage. Other users/usage may have a different experience.

I have used the Zillion without the SV Boost spring in three club tournaments and casting performance at all distances has been exactly what I expected.

When I acquire a replacement SV Boost spring, I will repeat the comparison with a tad more rigor because the current comparison was not "back to back" and relied on my memory of the performance with the SV Boost spring present.

Doc
Do you use left hand reels? You you use the same grip on the rod to cast as you do when palming? I have a theory that the boost spring is there to deal with those who cast hard and whip the cast (pretty standard for US right hand anglers) and find the SV spools choked off at the end of the cast when running middle of the dial settings.
Yes, I use LH reels and cast with my right hand. I do not use the same grip on the rod to cast as when palming the reel. My casts do not have a "whipping" motion, move of a "smooth stroke", which I have found, after my "cleaning/tuning/re-lubrication" process, more than sufficient to cast any distance desired.

Doc

abbor
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by abbor » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:47 am

I've done some initial testing with Zillion 1000H SV TW, I really like the new SV Boost spool. The SV spool has always been a very capable spool platform, but the brake profiles have limited the performance. With a different inductor, like the Ray's inductor, or with a stiffer spring the spools have casted very well. SV Boost is the first time Daiwa is offering a brake which is demonstrating the potential of this spool platform.

SV Boost brake profile is more progressive than the previous attempts. To get maximum casting distance the spool need to get maximum speed initially without overrunning and stay with a slight tendency to line lift throughout the cast. Maximum distance can't be obtained by thumbing, it has to be based on the casting brake of the reel. SV boost is combing a stronger brake force in the start of the the cast if a lot of force is used with lower brake force in the mid and end phase of the cast. With a SV boost spool I either had to have too high brake setting for the mid and end phase of the cast to avoid overrun during the start or to limit the casting force (spool speed) in the start of the cast. With SV Boost I can use a lot of force initially to set a high spool speed with low risk for backslash without having an overbraked reel during the mid and end phases of the cast.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:37 pm

It is still more braked at the end of the cast than a pure centrifugal system like an SVS Shimano is it not? Those brake early in the cast then fade out mid cast and are on free spool at the end of the cast. The SV Boost should brake more at the mid and end of the cast than a centrifugal reel but still be much more free than a typical SV spool.
Last edited by LowRange on Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

abbor
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by abbor » Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:24 pm

Yes, it's more braked in the end of the cast than a centrifugal brake, which is actually good. With only a centrifugal brake you will have to thumb towards the end of the cast.

The reel I've spent most time optimizing is Ambassadeur 6500 CS Mag which has 6 centrifugal brake blocks and a linear magnetic brake. I have a bunch of these reels, all of them which I use have every tuning part available from UT Reel Technology. With the 6 centrifugal brake blocks it's easy to optimize the brake for the first phase of the the cast, I only use 1 or 2 magnets and have the magnetic dial very low, this is giving me the braking for the last phase of the cast. What's left is the mid phase, the centrifugal don't have much effect because the rotation speed is relatively low, the magnetic brake optimized for the end phase is not very efficient for the mid phase either. But it's possible to adjust the braking for this phase as well, it's done by the viscosity and amount of oil in the spool bearings. I think this is more efficient for the larger bearings used in an Ambassadeur than in the Daiwa SV spools. I use TG's Rocket Fuel Yellow Label oil for the Ambassadeur reels.

There is an interesting article about different braking systems at Japan Tackle

https://japantackle.com/tackle_topics/brake_system.htm

Bay_Bassin86
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bay_Bassin86 » Thu May 13, 2021 5:55 pm

bronzefly wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:46 pm
I'm the proud owner of three brand new Daiwa technology SV Boost, Hyperdrive reels. I have the US Zillion SV TW G, the Steez Limited SV TW, and the Steez A TW HLC. I've been fishing these three reels on various prototype Daiwa rods over the past few weeks, both on the lakes and in the ponds where I have immediate and easy access. I've primarily been focused on FC lines, namely J-Fluoro Samurai, but I've also fished YGK and Samurai braid. I've thrown a wide range of baits on these combos, played around with the brake settings, worked on skipping, long distance casting, used various degrees of high and low resistance baits, and done as much as I could in a short amount of time across the spectrum.

I am unapologetically a fan of Daiwa reels and have been using their reels primarily for many years now. I have had the pleasure and fortunate opportunity to fish most all of them from the Fuego to the Steez CT, from stock to tricked out to the max. These new reels i am fishing bone stock as I always do with new reels, especially those that feature such significant changes as the SV Boost and Hyperdrive.

While it is an impressive reel that I have no intention of parting with anytime soon, the Steez Limited strikes me as almost not worth the price of admission. Almost, unless you're a crazy enthusiast like me and just have to try it out or you want to complete a collection, or some other justification enthusiasts use to get the latest and greatest. Yes, it's a limited Steez, has the new technology, and is absolutely beautiful in person, performs as one would expect a premium limited Steez with all the newest bells and whistles, but, side by side with my tricked out US Steez SV TW with the ZPI PG spool, ZPI bearings, star, zero adjuster, etc... yes, retail $225+ in ZPI parts alone on top of a $550 retail reel, it hasn't blown my skirt up like I thought it might :lol: I'm not taking anything away from this reel, it's a joy to fish and look at indeed, but again, almost not worth the price of admission unless you fall into one of the aforementioned categories. I'm not selling it though and look forward to a lot more time on the water with this piece.

The Steez A TW HLC, now that's been interesting so far. On a 79H with 18# J-Fluoro Samurai and a 1 oz Dark Sleeper, this thing feels like the line is flowing off the spool to a point where I wondered if I could set the hook when it hit the bottom in 20' at that distance. Mag-Z Boost has me genuinely intrigued coming from a big fan of Mag-Z spools for distance casting, having years on the water with other HLC spools, and many Mag-Z variants, I know this new version is something that gets it done. I left the zero adjuster factory set, set the mag dial at 10 and started casting and wow. Great control, great distance, and a level of fluidity that I've come to know and love in a high end Daiwa reel.

Despite the undeserved stigma of being built in a Daiwa owned and operated factory outside of Japan, the US Zillion SV TW G has my utmost attention at this point. So much so that I've moved out a few excellent specimens that I have enjoyed and used for some time now in order to make room for a few more once the supply catches up to the demand. I've always had a preference for brass gears despite the additional weight. We see a LOT of reels move through the reel repair shop from various manufacturers, and if I can get a reel with brass gears as an option, that is my preference based on experience both on and off the water. This new Zillion G is impressive in terms of both performance and price point. I've fished it on a prototype 69MH with spinner baits, vibrating jigs, swim jigs, and skipping jigs, a 73MH with much the same and some tungsten casting jigs, a 69M with jerk baits, square bills, mid-depth cranks like a DT-10, shaky heads, finesse jigs, and so on. While it isn't quite as capable on the finesse side as say a Steez CT or SV TW, this reel gets it done as a work horse all around great fishing reel, but still handles lighter stuff reasonably well paired with the right rod and line. I very much enjoy the palming profile, the casting distance, control, and it actually skips better than I thought it would.

I wanted to take a few minutes to share some of my initial thoughts and experiences with these three specific reels that I know aren't widely distributed at this point in hopes that it may offer a little insight and kick off a conversation on your experiences, or what you may expect in them if you haven't had the opportunity to grab one yet. Please chime in with anything you may have to offer and let's get out there, enjoy this Spring 2021 and catch some fish!!
Question about the Steez A TW HLC. I have a Irod Kaimana 764H that I use for an all around reel fishing the bay in my kayak. That rod tosses 3/8oz underspins, jack hammers, 1/2 dark sleepers and spinner bait all they way up to the Megabass deep six on it. How well would the Steez A TW HLC do with this weight range of baits?

Thanks

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Mon May 17, 2021 9:34 am

Bay_Bassin86 wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 5:55 pm
Question about the Steez A TW HLC. I have a Irod Kaimana 764H that I use for an all around reel fishing the bay in my kayak. That rod tosses 3/8oz underspins, jack hammers, 1/2 dark sleepers and spinner bait all they way up to the Megabass deep six on it. How well would the Steez A TW HLC do with this weight range of baits?
It will be in the zone with those baits. I've thrown the Deep Six on a Daiwa Steez 8'MHRB with the HLC and while the Tatula Elite can run with it in terms of pure distance, which is impressive to say the least, the level of Steez refinement is noticeable. Taking nothing away from the Elite Long Cast, because it is an extremely impressive distance casting reel, especially at its price point, the Steez A TW HLC is deservedly on a different level of refinement.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

jwfflipper14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jwfflipper14 » Sat May 22, 2021 1:43 pm

I was told there is a new rod coming out around ICAST possibly starting with the letter "Z"
Can't confirm it though
RiverValleyCrankbaits
Picasso
K-9 Flourocarbon

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue May 25, 2021 6:23 am

I am still lost. Want a new setup before our first child, either a ML or M with about 10ln fluoro. Not sure if the Zillion or Alphas would be better...

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue May 25, 2021 7:34 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 6:23 am
I am still lost. Want a new setup before our first child, either a ML or M with about 10ln fluoro. Not sure if the Zillion or Alphas would be better...
How strongly do you value casting distance?

DrPerf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DrPerf » Tue May 25, 2021 1:43 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Here is my "take" on the new Alphas SV TW.
viewtopic.php?f=63&t=85745#p691375

It is an excellent reel and available at a great price. It has replaced my supertuned PX 68L for jerkbaits, unweighted/moderately weighted plastics and even drop shots "in a pinch".

That said, the new Zillion is also now one of my favorite reels and just ordered a second one. Depending on intended use, either reel could be a good choice.

Regards,
Doc

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:58 am

LowRange wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 7:34 am
DirtyD64 wrote:
Well distance is important, but the SV105 and old Zillion SV cast plenty far for me. My issue is should I buy a ML or M casting rod, and if the Zillion SV TW would be okay with 8-10 lb fluoro...

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:12 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:58 am
LowRange wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 7:34 am
DirtyD64 wrote:
Well distance is important, but the SV105 and old Zillion SV cast plenty far for me. My issue is should I buy a ML or M casting rod, and if the Zillion SV TW would be okay with 8-10 lb fluoro...
If you are happy with the sv105 Alphas SV casting distance then I can't see the Alphas TW being a whole lot different.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:09 pm

I'd agree with that, Lowrange. I just got an Alphas SV TW. It's a great reel, but it hasn't blown me away regarding casting distance. It's a superb reel all around, though.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.