Fenwick Golden Wing series fishing rod?

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
QED
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Fenwick Golden Wing series fishing rod?

Post by QED » Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:49 pm

I just purchased a new-old-stock (NOS) Fenwick Golden Wing ultralight spinning rod on a whim (it hasn't yet arrived). I have an old Fenwick HMG version of this rod, which I use often. Did a google search but didn't find much in the way of history or other information on the former line of rods. Also, it appears that the over time there may have been more than one iteration of this particular rod series. Anyone have some basic background history on the Fenwick Golden Wing rod series? Thanks in advance for your help.

oops
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Fenwick Golden Wing series fishing rod?

Post by oops » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:51 pm

Haven't heard these rods mentioned in a long time. I was fairly young when these came out, but they're the rods my dad and I got into bass fishing with. He got Fenwick/Pure Fishing stuff at wholesale so that's largely what we used.

I couldn't tell you all the details on Golden Wing rods, but as I recall, the first many rods we had from the series had a very glossy finish. Later on, the rods had a matte finish, similar to the couple HMG rods we had. I couldn't tell you anything about the technical differences when this changed occurred, if any. I personally think the glossy ones look amazing and the matte ones are a bit run of the mill. They are wonderful rods in my opinion, though obviously they have a lot of sentimental value to me. It's been some time since my father passed away, but I kept all our Golden Wing/Techna AV rods and they still perform well on the rare occasions they come out of storage to play. I have everything from UL spinning rods to the telescopic flipping stick. I don't own a ton of modern rods in that price range, but of the few I own or have owned, I'd say that Golden Wings feel about middle of the pack. The standout rods in that price range absolutely out perform them, but the oldies are just as good if not better feeling than a lot of stuff as well.