Are you still using any of the OG Alphas?

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Are you still using any of the OG Alphas?

Post by SSS » Sat May 22, 2021 6:06 pm

I find myself using the Alphas Ito more often than most of the newer reels that i own. Are y'all still using any of the older (pre Alphas VS TW) alphas reels? If so, which ones in particular?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Are you still using any of the OG Alphas?

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat May 22, 2021 7:06 pm

I have an alphas type f and an sv 105 that go almost every time out (and 4 nib Sols that never get used). I have been slowly going back to older reels like the Alphas, TDZ and og steez.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat May 22, 2021 7:12 pm

Use both my Alphas SVs frequently

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat May 22, 2021 8:09 pm

Use my SV105 CONSTANTLY. It is on a ML casting rod, and I finesse a lot. This is why I am torn, if I should get the new Alphas on a ML rod or just buy a new Zillion and use it on a ML rod anyways...

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Mon May 24, 2021 3:32 am

I use my R Edition with a Zonda 10R spool to crank and use my heavily modified Finesse Custom with R Edition spool for all kinds of ML duties. I also love my Alphas CT SV for when I only want to take one casting setup with me. It's so versatile.

fishonsc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by fishonsc » Mon May 24, 2021 9:46 am

adam lancia wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 3:32 am
I use my R Edition with a Zonda 10R spool to crank and use my heavily modified Finesse Custom with R Edition spool for all kinds of ML duties. I also love my Alphas CT SV for when I only want to take one casting setup with me. It's so versatile.
The Daiwa Alphas CT SV is one sweet reel. I was amazed how far I coukd throw a 1/4 oz crankbait with that reel.

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Mon May 24, 2021 1:07 pm

Sold most of mine. kept the Type R for casting Pop R's and SV for my grandson.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Mon May 24, 2021 4:09 pm

adam lancia wrote:
How's the Zonda 10R spool? Just bought one myself. Is the inductor tapered? Compared to the R edition spool, is there any difference in casting? I am not too satisfied with all the older Alphas spools that i've tried :?

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Tue May 25, 2021 6:04 am

SSS wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 4:09 pm
adam lancia wrote:
How's the Zonda 10R spool? Just bought one myself. Is the inductor tapered? Compared to the R edition spool, is there any difference in casting? I am not too satisfied with all the older Alphas spools that i've tried :?
I haven't had a lot of time on the water with either reel, but they both cast really well. The 10R spools inductor isn't tapered, it's straight like a TD-Z Type R spool. I can definitely cast lighter weights with the R Edition spool. What I would really like is to try a KTF Neo spool and a Megabass Honeycomb spool. A semi-deep spool like the Ray's Studio HLC TD-Z spool would be amazing in an Alphas for the fishing I do.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Tue May 25, 2021 6:47 am

adam lancia wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 6:04 am
SSS wrote:
adam lancia wrote:
I haven't had a lot of time on the water with either reel, but they both cast really well. The 10R spools inductor isn't tapered, it's straight like a TD-Z Type R spool. I can definitely cast lighter weights with the R Edition spool. What I would really like is to try a KTF Neo spool and a Megabass Honeycomb spool. A semi-deep spool like the Ray's Studio HLC TD-Z spool would be amazing in an Alphas for the fishing I do.
Might want to check for one from Cosugi Works, these perform extremely well for light lures.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue May 25, 2021 7:36 am

adam lancia wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 6:04 am
SSS wrote:
adam lancia wrote:
You can always Ray's inductor swap an Alphas SV spool.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue May 25, 2021 8:18 am

Alphas SV for me. I been using it as a BFS reel with Roro BFS spool but, I really need to run the stock spool and throw topwater and smaller moving baits for bass.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

staten island angler
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by staten island angler » Wed May 26, 2021 2:15 am

6B574EDB-D7EA-456C-ADB9-8919EDA522C0.jpeg
6B574EDB-D7EA-456C-ADB9-8919EDA522C0.jpeg (39.74 KiB) Viewed 4989 times
Still in my everyday lineup.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed May 26, 2021 4:45 am

Fyi, the Zonda 68R/10R spools are deeper than any other Alphas spool out there. I think it's around 100 yds/14# line. With braid, it does great with 1/4 oz and up. I havent used mono or flouro on it before, though.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Wed May 26, 2021 4:51 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 4:45 am
Fyi, the Zonda 68R/10R spools are deeper than any other Alphas spool out there. I think it's around 100 yds/14# line. With braid, it does great with 1/4 oz and up. I havent used mono or flouro on it before, though.
Yeah, that's what I like it for cranking. I have 15# Yo-Zuri hybrid on it and have tons of capacity. I could even strip a fair amount of line off to reduce the IPT and still have lots of capacity.