mid strolling and small hardbait spinning rod

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
jerkbait22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

mid strolling and small hardbait spinning rod

Post by jerkbait22 » Tue May 25, 2021 7:25 pm

Looking for a spinning rod that can handle mid-strolling (popular technique in Japan where they fish a small soft plastic and a very light jighead and reel while continuously bouncing the rod tip) and some small hardbaits. I figure I can use it for hair jigs and smaller weightless plastics too.

I was looking at some of the legit design spinning rods like the 6'9 light plus and then the 6'7 light plus. Problem with the 6'7 is it only lists a max weight which is 3/4oz (21G) and makes me question what it can do on the low end. I've inquired with the importer about it but haven't received an answer yet.

So that got me wondering what else is out there and lead me to post here. I see Jackall has a revoltage 6'5UL made for the technique rated 1.8G - 7G as an example. Anyone have suggestions or feedback?

Allsorts
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: mid strolling and small hardbait spinning rod

Post by Allsorts » Thu May 27, 2021 11:49 pm

Not sure what weight range you have in mind for small hardbaits but I've been very happy with an Evergreen Serpenti Spin Serpent. It's rated to 3/16 but I routinely use 1/4 or slightly more on it. Neds, SPs, finesse jigs and sweeping shad baits like OSP Dunk 48 etc, handles everything brilliantly. Read up on the design concept - basically a BFS blank with a baitcasting handle. Solid tip is perfect, not nooldly or soft, guide train is designed for PE lines, I use PE0.6 to 1.2 with max 10lb leader. Is one of my top 3 favourite rods of all time. With a good braid, like Varivas Super Trout Advance, casting distance is no issue even though rod is 6"4'.

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: mid strolling and small hardbait spinning rod

Post by John G » Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:28 am

Did you ever find your 'Mid Strolling' rod? I was checking out the Fenwick Japan website last night and I saw three mid strolling rods in their Aces lineup. JDM Fenwicks are expensive and nice. I would post a link here but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to. If you're interested, send me a private message and I'll send you the link if you can't find it yourself.