MB Hyuga 72H/Super Red Demon, what rod sits in between?

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
evilcatfish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: MB Hyuga 72H/Super Red Demon, what rod sits in between?

Post by evilcatfish » Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:12 am

Houndfish wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:17 am
Ordered a Black Rose this morning, thanks again all for the advice. It was neck and neck between it and the Outtrack, but I couldn't find the latter in stock anywhere.

I need to sort out a reel for it. I am going to try a Ryoga 1520 and a SV103 first, if neither of them work out I will have to buy something. I am going to be using 40lb PP on it so I don't need a super deep spool.
Let us know what you think once the rod arrives! I experimented with a Steez A HLC and SV103XS on mine and the 103 is the winner. The Black Rose is such a versatile rod that I could probably sell 3-4 of my other setups and be fine with just it.

Steez A HLC will go probably go on another upcoming Evergreen rod.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:05 pm

evilcatfish wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:12 am
Let us know what you think once the rod arrives! I experimented with a Steez A HLC and SV103XS on mine and the 103 is the winner. The Black Rose is such a versatile rod that I could probably sell 3-4 of my other setups and be fine with just it.

The sv103 won out, the rod is too light to stick the heavier Ryoga on it. The rod throws 3/40z total-weight swimjigs as well as it throws the ~2oz BoomBoom. It's impossible how light it is while having so much power. While the SRD has roughly the porpations of a "normal" bass rod, it feels super tip heavy and you are know you are holding the fishing equivalent of a sawed off shotgun. While the Black Rose is a good bit less powerful, it feels in hand like my FMJ or a 844c, the slightly longer handle being the only thing that hints at its power. In power I don't yet feel like it's much more than the Hyuga 72H, but the faster taper is instantly noticeable. I think it's going to be a great "twin" for that rod, the Hyuga mover over to days where I think trebles are going to be the main deal and the Black Rose for days where it's single hooks, but with both rods being able to cover the other side well enough. So far I have yet to get a single bite on the BoomBooms, but my experiences so far make me very optimistic that the BR will be up to setting that hook. The sensitivity is leagas ahead of the Hyuga to the point where I can use the BR on days where I would like to pick my FMJ, but think the cover/conditions/other presentations make me want to use braid rather the fluoro.

I hit a local pond the other day that still has a lot of shallow pads left. I started with the BoomBoom but they were not having it, but somehow a 1/2oz-4.5" swimjig was getting them. I caught like 6 bass between 1.5-2.5 pounds, a lot of them at the far end of the cast. Now these are not large bass, but even ~30y out I was able to yank the bass up and ski them in without even really feeling like I was leaning on the rod. It would load into the mid section and just stop and the bass would come shooting up. The largest bass of the day did hit right on splashdown and I really loaded into the hook set and ran her in. When I got here released I realized I had bent the my jig hook. Now, I am a big finesse guy and I have never even managed to bend a little thin hook on a bass before unless it was well into the 3-4lb range. I don't really do power-hooksets, but the BR is really sneaky powerful.

I am glad I took the plunge and want to thank everyone for their input.

evilcatfish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by evilcatfish » Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:05 pm

Beautiful combo my friend! Makes me want to get some purple accent parts like that for my 103xs

hmnginmn
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by hmnginmn » Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:13 am

I use my Megabass Black Jungle Power Versatile for similar presentations and it can handle both soft bats and hard baits pretty well granted I am using braid. Shorter handle is better for close quarter casting too but not much leverage for casting the bigger baits. I got the butt of rod extended 3 inches and it comfortably casts 1/2oz to 4oz, definitely my favorite rod to skip 8 inch mag drafts on. Just throwing it out there.
Long live the Jerkbait

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:08 pm

hmnginmn wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:13 am
I use my Megabass Black Jungle Power Versatile for similar presentations and it can handle both soft bats and hard baits pretty well granted I am using braid. Shorter handle is better for close quarter casting too but not much leverage for casting the bigger baits. I got the butt of rod extended 3 inches and it comfortably casts 1/2oz to 4oz, definitely my favorite rod to skip 8 inch mag drafts on. Just throwing it out there.
Skipping 8 inch swimbaits? Neat. But why?

poot04
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by poot04 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:56 pm

LowRange wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:08 pm
hmnginmn wrote:
How else you gonna get it under a dock?

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:22 pm

poot04 wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:56 pm
LowRange wrote:
hmnginmn wrote:
And here I was thinking I was pushing the envelope of dock fishing skipping a 3/8 dark sleeper. That sounds awesome. You get bit doing that?

hmnginmn
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by hmnginmn » Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:49 pm

Just once by a pike 🤣. I like that it's a little different than what everyone else is skipping under then docks.
Long live the Jerkbait

poot04
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by poot04 » Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:52 am

LowRange wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:22 pm
poot04 wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:56 pm
LowRange wrote:
hmnginmn wrote:
Watch some Zaldain and Oliver Ngy megabass video clips of what the do with the mag draft and the islide and you will be amazed at where you can put these things.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:37 pm

Houndfish wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:58 pm
Right now my heaviest two rods are the pair in the title. My most thrown "big bait" is a Optium BoomBoom on a 8/0oz Beast hook, weighing in at like 1.5oz total. Both rods will cast and fish this presentations, but neither is ideal. The 72H is a little slow for such a thick hook, I have caught dozens and dozens of bass with the BoomBoom on it, but I have some that got off that still haunt me. The SRD is feels overpowered for the presentation and I can't get super good accuracy with it, which matters for some of the fishing I do with it.

I want to start looking for a rod in the middle of these two. I think at 7'6" the SRD is as long as I want to go, any longer it becomes annoying to transport. I am primarily looking for a rod for larger single hooked lures, but would also want to be able to fish some glides and wakes in the same 1-2oz range as the BoomBoom, so a little versatility would be nice. I would like a rod with some sensitivity, it's nice to get good feedback when fishing in pad fields where I am getting a "hit" every half handle crank.

I don't really have a price range in mind, this is not an urgent issue so there is time to save. If I am being honest with myself I should sell the SRD as I never really put it to it's full use, but I am like the dumb thing and it's nice to have it around.
If you are still in the market you might want to look at the Legit Designs72H+ Wild Side. I haven't fished mine yet but it certainly seems Ike a more powerful stick than the Hyuga. It has a faster tip that seems softer but once it loads the rod shuts off and it is more powerful in the mid section of the rod than the Hyuga. I'll have to throw 3oz to see how it handles it. That's where the Hyuga gives up. The tip handles it but 3 oz loads a Huyga too deep into the blank IMO. 2.7 oz and its done.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:38 am

Friggin' NOICE!

Can't wait to read your thoughts on it. Cal's review was actually very positive overall on this rod, the aramid veil aside, it weighs a bit less than other JDM rods in this price range unless you get into the $600-$700+ stratosphere.

I really use a lot of rods that can handle 3/4-1.5 with ease but don't want a meat stick. Mostly I want it to handle 1-2 oz total weight spinnerbaits and topwaters/wakes with some 1/2-1 jigs + trailer.

I'll mostly be using 15-17 lb CXX or 40 lb braid.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:21 am

dragon1 wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:38 am
Friggin' NOICE!

Can't wait to read your thoughts on it. Cal's review was actually very positive overall on this rod, the aramid veil aside, it weighs a bit less than other JDM rods in this price range unless you get into the $600-$700+ stratosphere.

I really use a lot of rods that can handle 3/4-1.5 with ease but don't want a meat stick. Mostly I want it to handle 1-2 oz total weight spinnerbaits and topwaters/wakes with some 1/2-1 jigs + trailer.

I'll mostly be using 15-17 lb CXX or 40 lb braid.
I don't think this stick is for you. This is a fairly common taper in Japan so you have lots of options if you are willing to import a rod. I'll PM you a link to a used JDM rod site I lurk in a bit. The problem with the 72H+ Wild Side is that it is very heavy even compared to the Hyuga. It Hyuga floats in your hand compared to the Wild Side. It does appear to be able to cast baits that are significantly heaver than the Hyuga so that weight increase is forgivable in my opinion but the rod is overkill for the baits you want to throw so you'll be paying that weight penalty for no reason. The good news is that there are impossibly light weight and crisp sticks that will throw the baits you want and its just a matter of finding one that fits your budget.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:25 am

I don't have a scale. Maybe Houndfish can weigh his 72H Hyuga? I wouldn't have thought the Hyuga was especially light weight for a H+ since it was a $150 stick that was basically a 2015 JDM Levante but it certainly balances out more tip up than the 72H+ Wild Side without a reel on either rod.

Anyways what you want is the poor man's Back Rose. Don't know what that is but jts not the 72H+ Wild Side (way too heavy) or 72H Hyuga although it is closer in the weight department but too slow of a taper and balance/weight to be a pleasant to fish "jig stick". The Hyuga is excellent at 1-2 oz big treble hook baits with braid or flouro/mono. Maybe lurk the forum for some used rods to show up or put out a WTB thread. I think there a few Megabass sticks rated to 3 oz that fit the bill but I forget their names.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:47 pm

Koolio, I appreciate your feedback.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Sun Jul 31, 2022 3:28 pm

LowRange wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:25 am
I don't have a scale. Maybe Houndfish can weigh his 72H Hyuga? I wouldn't have thought the Hyuga was especially light weight for a H+ since it was a $150 stick that was basically a 2015 JDM Levante but it certainly balances out more tip up than the 72H+ Wild Side without a reel on either rod.
I can try, but my scale maxes out quickly. I will update if it works.