MB Hyuga 72H/Super Red Demon, what rod sits in between?

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

MB Hyuga 72H/Super Red Demon, what rod sits in between?

Post by Houndfish » Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:58 pm

Right now my heaviest two rods are the pair in the title. My most thrown "big bait" is a Optium BoomBoom on a 8/0oz Beast hook, weighing in at like 1.5oz total. Both rods will cast and fish this presentations, but neither is ideal. The 72H is a little slow for such a thick hook, I have caught dozens and dozens of bass with the BoomBoom on it, but I have some that got off that still haunt me. The SRD is feels overpowered for the presentation and I can't get super good accuracy with it, which matters for some of the fishing I do with it.

I want to start looking for a rod in the middle of these two. I think at 7'6" the SRD is as long as I want to go, any longer it becomes annoying to transport. I am primarily looking for a rod for larger single hooked lures, but would also want to be able to fish some glides and wakes in the same 1-2oz range as the BoomBoom, so a little versatility would be nice. I would like a rod with some sensitivity, it's nice to get good feedback when fishing in pad fields where I am getting a "hit" every half handle crank.

I don't really have a price range in mind, this is not an urgent issue so there is time to save. If I am being honest with myself I should sell the SRD as I never really put it to it's full use, but I am like the dumb thing and it's nice to have it around.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MB Hyuga 72H/Super Red Demon, what rod sits in between?

Post by Cal » Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:21 pm

Houndfish wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:58 pm
I am primarily looking for a rod for larger single hooked lures, but would also want to be able to fish some glides and wakes in the same 1-2oz range as the BoomBoom, so a little versatility would be nice.
You realize these are really two different rods, right? For the glides and wakes, you want something more moderate for the treble hooks/moving baits, but for the single hook, you want something fast like a rod for jigs.

Having said that, if cost isn't an issue, one stick to consider is the Evergreen International Black Rose ... Megabass's P5 Tequila Baccarac is similar in spec, but I've not fished that stick to be sure and is listed as moderate taper. However, since the Boom Booms you're rigging are only 1.5oz, it might work out ok. A sleeper in this category is Legit Design's WSC72H+ ... sleeper because it costs less, has similar versatility, and is available, but sensitivity might be its weakness. It's good, just not as good as the SRD.

That's what I have off the top of my head based on your needs... Gan Craft's Dead Sword or Dead Sword Magnum would be another pair to look at with the Magnum maybe a tiny bit too much stick for what you need.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:02 pm

Cal wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:21 pm
You realize these are really two different rods, right? For the glides and wakes, you want something more moderate for the treble hooks/moving baits, but for the single hook, you want something fast like a rod for jigs.
I know, but so far I have had great luck using both those rods for both singles and trebles by trying to mitigate the rods' weaknesses as I can in terms of hook selection and hooksetting/fighting force. The Hyuga, despite being on the Mod side of ModFast, is great with frogs and more reasonable single hooked lures, but those 8/0 Beasts are much heavier than anything else I use. I can usually get good hooksets with the 72H, but there have been enough close calls that I know it's not ideal.

The Tequilla Baccarac is on my radar but I have not found a lot of info about it yet. The Black Rose looks amazing, the versatility and shorter length are right up my alley. I don't know much about Evergreen but have been looking for a rod to dip my toe in with for a while, so it bears looking into more. I had actually looked at the Wild Side rods last year when I was hunting for a shorty frog rod, but ended up with a BLX. I couldn't find much any info on them, but it looks like now there is a US distributor, so hopefully I can find some info. Lots to read up on, thanks!

I have also been looking at the various MB While Python rods, a few of them seem like they would be a good fit and the C40 F7-76ti version still seems to be available.

GOOD YEAR 71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by GOOD YEAR 71 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:08 pm

:big grin:
Last edited by GOOD YEAR 71 on Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
PEACE

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:15 pm

GOOD YEAR 71 wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:08 pm
If I may, the specific model Gan Craft you will find most appropriate here is Outtrack KG-00 6-730EXH. To keep this short, consider it a 'modernized' version of Dead Sword. It's within about three quarter inch length, maybe half inch handle length, and provides a faster presentation. It is not glide/wake specific like Dead Sword (which excels at it) where Outtrack is rather adept while being considerably more well rounded to general use. The two sticks are remarkably unique in comparison.
Of course you may! I can only talk about stuff I've fished, so glad you have another Gan Craft stick to suggest! Sounds interesting =D> =D>
Cal, Managing Editor

evilcatfish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by evilcatfish » Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:23 am

I was finally able to get a Black Rose about a month ago, and must say its an amazing rod so far. Its very light and nimble in the hand to the point you'll underestimate its power. There are other Evergreen rods from the Kaleido and Phase series you may want to consider as well

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:36 pm

evilcatfish wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:23 am
There are other Evergreen rods from the Kaleido and Phase series you may want to consider as well
I have been trying to find some info on Evergreen but even stuff like the basic hierarchy of their various lines is hard to come by. I can figure out a little bit by reading their site, but as always the machine translation from Japanese to English leans heavily into poetic gibberish. Any suggestions on where else to look? I have done a lot of searching here but a lot of the info is years old and I don't have a good idea about how often Evergreen refreshes their lines.

evilcatfish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by evilcatfish » Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:48 am

Like you I’m pretty much using Google translate to find out about evergreen stuff. I have found some useful info on German and Italian forums, but once again, translation can be a little goofy

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:00 am

Going off the top of my head, from top to bottom with the Evergreen JDM rod hierarchy:

Kaleido - Seems to have been replaced by Kaleido Inspirare
Heracles - discontinued
Orion - introduced in the last year or two
Combat - discontinued?
Synergy
Cal, Managing Editor

poot04
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by poot04 » Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:38 pm

This one fits the bill I believe!

RSC-611XMH Grand Cobra RS
Grand Cobra RS
concept
Overwhelming lightness due to the special setting, sensitized sharpness,
but T1100G 100% blanks power that is not lost.
Grand Cobra RS
Using 100% of high-strength, high-modulus carbon "Treca ® T1100G", which is an innovative material once every 20 years, it can be used freely from 3 ounce class big bait to swim bait, spinner bait, rubber jig, Texas rig, on land. Based on the same blanks as Grand Cobra BK Limited , a dream all-purpose bait rod that you can take out with this one, as a tournament rod that requires continuous use for a long time, we have taken thorough weight reduction measures in response to the demands of professional angler Katsutaka Imae. Grand Cobra RS Limited.

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:44 pm

poot04 wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:38 pm

Grand Cobra RS
concept
Grand Cobra RS
Using 100% of high-strength, high-modulus carbon "Treca ® T1100G", which is an innovative material once every 20 years, it can be used freely from 3 ounce class big bait to swim bait, spinner bait, rubber jig, Texas rig, on land. Based on the same blanks as Grand Cobra BK Limited , a dream all-purpose bait rod that you can take out with this one, as a tournament rod that requires continuous use for a long time, we have taken thorough weight reduction measures in response to the demands of professional angler Katsutaka Imae. Grand Cobra RS Limited.

Yes; I have this rod and it does fit well as you suggest right between the two rods the OP posted. I was meaning to chime in earlier. Only thing is it’s a bit under 7ft. I have really enjoyed the rod and use it primarily for single hook moving baits in that weight range the OP is looking for. It’s remarkably versatile, however. I don’t use it for glides as I feel it’s too short to get the leverage I want after hooking a fish with trebles. But with a single hook swimbait, the rod is fantastic. It’s super sensitive, which actually works well with a slow moving swimbait for me. I usually make a short pause after the take on a big swimbait to make sure the big girls eat it before I set the hook and the rod gives one a great sense of what’s going on if it’s a subtle eat. But even in cases when the sensitivity is overkill, it’s just great both casting and fighting fish. At 611, it should be good for a yack and it’s a heavy duty build made to last. It’s not dainty in any way. My only complaint with the rod is I wish I had all of its characteristics in a 74-76 length.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:41 am

poot04 wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:38 pm

Grand Cobra RS
concept
Grand Cobra RS
Thanks, this looks like another likely candidate.
Cal wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:00 am
Going off the top of my head, from top to bottom with the Evergreen JDM rod hierarchy:

Kaleido - Seems to have been replaced by Kaleido Inspirare
Heracles - discontinued
Orion - introduced in the last year or two
Combat - discontinued?
Synergy
Thanks for the info, this gives me a good starting place.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:53 am

I have started looking at this again and think I am going to order either the Black Rose or the Dead Sword. I am leaning towards the Black Rose as I think it will fit my needs better, but I do admit that the price tag is going to add some nervousness to my hike-in fishing trips. I would go for the Outtrack but I can’t find one in stock anywhere.

I think I am going to take the Ryoga 1520 off of my Super Red Demon and stick it on the new rod. Can anyone comment on how a heavy reel like that would balance either of those two rods?

poot04
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by poot04 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:37 pm

Houndfish wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:53 am
I have started looking at this again and think I am going to order either the Black Rose or the Dead Sword. I am leaning towards the Black Rose as I think it will fit my needs better, but I do admit that the price tag is going to add some nervousness to my hike-in fishing trips. I would go for the Outtrack but I can’t find one in stock anywhere.

I think I am going to take the Ryoga 1520 off of my Super Red Demon and stick it on the new rod. Can anyone comment on how a heavy reel like that would balance either of those two rods?
Maybe this will ease your soul. This is used in the blank for the rs/gt and Orion rods. "Treca ®" T1100G "" & "Nano Alloy ® Technology"
High-strength, high elastic modulus carbon fiber "Treca ®" T1100G "" with "Nano Alloy ® Technology" applied carbon prepreg is used for all lamination from tip to bat Regular taper with a bend curve without stagnation. Demonstrate tremendous restoring force.
https://youtu.be/gI3iGOufRQk

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:17 am

Ordered a Black Rose this morning, thanks again all for the advice. It was neck and neck between it and the Outtrack, but I couldn't find the latter in stock anywhere.

I need to sort out a reel for it. I am going to try a Ryoga 1520 and a SV103 first, if neither of them work out I will have to buy something. I am going to be using 40lb PP on it so I don't need a super deep spool.