JDM frog rod for moderate cover?

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
evilcatfish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

JDM frog rod for moderate cover?

Post by evilcatfish » Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:50 am

Hey all, looking to add a new JDM frog rod to the arsenal. Primary use will be for fishing frogs around sparse cover (pads, bushes, laydowns, etc) and skipping up under docks/overhangs. Secondary use will be some light pitching and flipping. Looking to stay under 7'1" length, and get a rod that isn't a broom stick. Currently looking at the Deps Sidewinder "Bush Viper" and the Megabass Orochi XXX "Mat Bucker Type L." Anybody have experience with either of these rods? Are there any others I should consider?

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: JDM frog rod for moderate cover?

Post by LowRange » Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:08 pm

Big fan of the gen 1 orochi PP for that. It's both my primary frogging stick and pitching stick. Not sure how the new one stacks up. I hear they are softer and slower than the gen 1. I assume this is due to the loss of the carbon wrap in place of whatever the heck kabt is supposed to be.

Sore Thumb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Sore Thumb » Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:14 pm

Does the new Steez Top Gun fit the bill.

evilcatfish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by evilcatfish » Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:42 pm

I do have the gen 1 XX perfect pitch currently, and it is definitely a good frog rod. Just interested in trying something new.

That Steez Top Gun is gorgeous, but just a we bit longer than I'm wanting to go

jmb27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jmb27 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:12 pm

Been using the MB P5 Super Destroyer for frogs/horny toads, and of course, the rod can do a lot more. :)

MCROUT14
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by MCROUT14 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:22 pm

X4 Mat Bucker all day

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:28 pm

The Mat Bucker Type L is a good choice. It has a nice JDM action, good power for the kind of frog fishing you've described, and good enough sensitivity for some bottom contact fishing. The Tackle Trap just got one back in stock, but it won't last long I'm sure!
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:09 pm

evilcatfish wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:50 am
Looking to stay under 7'1" length, and get a rod that isn't a broom stick.
At the end of 2019 I picked up a Daiwa BLX LG 631MHFB-FR.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (26.21 KiB) Viewed 2435 times
It fished like a sawed-off and a little slower 844c GLX and while it's not as sensitive, it's up there. It's not a traditional Heavy frog rod at all, but for open water or light pads, it's more then enough. The length makes walking stuff a dream and along with the slower taper makes it a very accurate caster. It's becoming one of my favorite rods and if I can make myself go out more, I am going to buy a second one for yak use as it's such a versatile "MH+/MF" kind of thing.

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:33 pm

My favorite is the Evergreen Super Stallion GT. I've had a great hookup ratio with it and it walks frogs so precisely. It's one of my favorite rods I've ever owned. Every pop of the rod tip and movement of the frog is like a deep hollow thump all the way through the handle there's nothing like it.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:35 am

domthewon wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:33 pm
My favorite is the Evergreen Super Stallion GT. I've had a great hookup ratio with it and it walks frogs so precisely. It's one of my favorite rods I've ever owned. Every pop of the rod tip and movement of the frog is like a deep hollow thump all the way through the handle there's nothing like it.
Incoming PM
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

evilcatfish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by evilcatfish » Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:56 am

domthewon wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:33 pm
Interesting. I recently got the black rose which seems to be close to the super stallion, may have to give it a shot but it seems a little overkill in the power department for my application.

Lots of good suggestions here otherwise, will do more research after I get back home from my sturgeon bay trip