Pixy Secret

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Pixy Secret

Post by goldrod » Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:18 pm

Man have I discovered something.
Hate to keep you guys in suspense but I can’t type it all at the moment

Pxtr + airy red spool = 🍌
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Pixy Secret

Post by goldrod » Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:40 pm

So I have a pxtr and I put my airy red spool in it and I put it on my Megabass DTC rod. If you know this is that one rod that simply out performs many different sticks with that flat side OSP hpf 5/16 crank.

I’ve used a conquest bfs
Steez 100ha with RCS 1012sv G1 spool
Px68 finesse spool

And the pxtr airy spool combo simply out distanced everything
I was trying to wrap my head around the why as the conquest bfs has the fts brake which is magnetic as well.
But still can’t give me the distance that I’m getting with my little pxtr. The px68 doesn’t even compete. So there you have it. The secret is out.
I’m not here to convince you and hope that someone else will post their findings. Not all magnetic 🧲 braking systems are the same. Oh and if you ever used the osp hpf crank without the weight you KNOW that it’s light and flat and my guy it’s just bananas how far I can cast it and without ANY over runs. This simply blew my mind
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:04 pm

The Airy Red spool is a screamer. Basically the HLC of Pixy spools but a little better behaved than an HLC. Mine lives in a Silver Mica. Speedy little spool. I can cast a full spool of 20# braid off of it with a 1/10 head and TRD. I bet my Casitas MGL isn't too far behind though.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:25 pm

LowRange wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:04 pm
The Airy Red spool is a screamer. Basically the HLC of Pixy spools but a little better behaved than an HLC. Mine lives in a Silver Mica. Speedy little spool. I can cast a full spool of 20# braid off of it with a 1/10 head and TRD. I bet my Casitas MGL isn't too far behind though.
This combo is what I’ve been looking for and to think I had it the whole time 😂
But I’m so blown away by the casting distance, controllability, effortlessness
That I was going to sell five reels that for now have no home but as it would be the Steez 100ha looks superb upon this Kaleido Inspirare especially with the reel having the 95 swept slp carbon handle and cork knobs.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:55 am

goldrod wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:25 pm
LowRange wrote:
This combo is what I’ve been looking for and to think I had it the whole time 😂
But I’m so blown away by the casting distance, controllability, effortlessness
That I was going to sell five reels that for now have no home but as it would be the Steez 100ha looks superb upon this Kaleido Inspirare especially with the reel having the 95 swept slp carbon handle and cork knobs.
It's a good pitching spool if you like a fast spool for pitching. I go a lot of casting and pitching of ned rigs on mine. Dosen't skip without blowing up though. That's why I have to have a ned also tied into an Alphas SV when working docks on a ned bite.

Jeep
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Jeep » Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:52 am

Thanks for the info. I have a pixy I would like to turn into a 1/4 crankbait reel. Would you happen to know what the highest gear ratio gear set is for a pixy? From what I understand its 6.8:1?

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:14 am

Jeep wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:52 am
Thanks for the info. I have a pixy I would like to turn into a 1/4 crankbait reel. Would you happen to know what the highest gear ratio gear set is for a pixy? From what I understand its 6.8:1?
The SV105HS gear set is 7.2:1 and is a nice drop in for the Pixy. The Tackle Trap has them in stock... there are 3 pages of gear sets to go through though, so look through them.

Daiwa Gear Sets @ The Tackle Trap
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:13 am

I've tried them all on pixies. Tried the airy red spool with a faster R tuned inductor from the tdz type r as well. My fav setup is the finesse special spool with ceramic hybrids (or the air bfs bearings) in any of the pixies. The furthest casting spool and also the one that handles the lightest of lures.

Jeep
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Jeep » Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:57 am

bronzefly wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:14 am
Jeep wrote:
The SV105HS gear set is 7.2:1 and is a nice drop in for the Pixy. The Tackle Trap has them in stock... there are 3 pages of gear sets to go through though, so look through them.

Thanks G your the man that would be a fantastic gear ratio for my pixy. Thanks Goldie for your info also

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:30 pm

LowRange wrote:
a little better behaved
Hah, I would say it's the spiciest Pixy spool I have tried. It's not "wild", but it punishes me every time I get cocky and try to make some snazzy one-handed cast at the edge of my ability. It's a caster for sure though, I have mine in an Airy Red Pixzilla on a p3 Criffhanger and it's great to be able to get such distance with a shorter rod.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:47 pm

Jeep wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:57 am
bronzefly wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:14 am
Jeep wrote:

Thanks G your the man that would be a fantastic gear ratio for my pixy. Thanks Goldie for your info also
No Problem , my pleasure. Discovering new things is an awesome thing
I have a px68 and it’s on my super rakkai
I’m working with it though.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:34 pm

Houndfish wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:30 pm
LowRange wrote:
a little better behaved
Hah, I would say it's the spiciest Pixy spool I have tried. It's not "wild", but it punishes me every time I get cocky and try to make some snazzy one-handed cast at the edge of my ability. It's a caster for sure though, I have mine in an Airy Red Pixzilla on a p3 Criffhanger and it's great to be able to get such distance with a shorter rod.
Wait until you try a TD Zillion HLC. Its like a Airy Red spool but for 1/2 oz to 1 oz baits and insane. Airy Red is quite tame by comparison.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:04 pm

SSS wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:13 am
I've tried them all on pixies. Tried the airy red spool with a faster R tuned inductor from the tdz type r as well. My fav setup is the finesse special spool with ceramic hybrids (or the air bfs bearings) in any of the pixies. The furthest casting spool and also the one that handles the lightest of lures.
The I'ze finesse special casts further than the airy red in your experience? With the same weights? I felt like I wasnt getting good distance with the I'ze finesse special so I was planning on swapping it out with an airy red spool. Might be a line/lure weight issue so I'll have to give it another shot I guess.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:35 pm

chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:04 pm
SSS wrote:
The I'ze finesse special casts further than the airy red in your experience? With the same weights? I felt like I wasnt getting good distance with the I'ze finesse special so I was planning on swapping it out with an airy red spool. Might be a line/lure weight issue so I'll have to give it another shot I guess.

Call me crazy but
My tuned pxtr spool cast further than my finesse special spool as well
My px68 not so much but still the performance I get from the I’ze finesse spool is just ok

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:36 am

chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:04 pm
SSS wrote:
With 10lb braid, i find that the i'ze factory casts further than all r and r+ tuned spools that i have tried, and i have tried them all except the one from the ringa sss. I have never taken accurate measurements of course, but i'm used to my setups and know their average distance. The I`ze spool casts insanely far for some reason. I always thought a fixed inductor spool would be inferior for distance, but that is so far from being true. I am kinda curious of trying it on the same rod and line against a met dc to see which one casts further.