2020 JDM Metanium performance

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Dman
Angler
Angler

2020 JDM Metanium performance

Post by Dman » Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:42 pm

Just a few questions on new 2020 JDM Metanium after unboxing. The spool was very tight when turning the handle. When spinning the handle the spool would only rotate a couple times. I have the spool tension set loose! I set the internal brakes to two off! When I set the external brakes to a number one the Metanium simply launches the lure (3/8 to 1/2 oz). However, when I set the external brakes to three the lure barely drops at all and the casting distance is greatly diminished. At a 4, 5 or 6 the distance is horrible. Is anyone else having this issue with the JDM version. I have a 2017 Scorpion and a 2017 Chronarch and both reels are incredible on all brake settings with incremental changes in casting distance. I put some oil on the bearings but have not disassembled the reel to check the drag gears! The reel feels smooth overall but the upper range external brake settings are basically useless at this point! Any ideas as to what I can do to loosen this reel up? Thank you in advance.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: 2020 JDM Metanium performance

Post by SSS » Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:47 pm

Before you put some new oil in the spool/side plate bearings, you have the flush the original oil or grease that got inside. When you untighten the cast control, do you feel any lateral movement of the spool? Its not normal that a bait barely drops when the cast control is untightened.

Dman
Angler
Angler

Post by Dman » Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:15 am

Thank you SSS for responding! Yes, there is plenty of side to side movement when the cast control knob is loosened! On a brake setting of one the lure falls very quickly and I can bomb cast it! On a number two it falls slowly. Three; it barely moves! How do I go about flushing out the gears? Is there a particular product you recommend? I've only taken the reel out once. Should I just let it break in before flushing? Thanks again!

dennis_rf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dennis_rf » Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:39 am

The external, numeral dial shouldn’t have any effect on the falling speed of the lure, as the centrifugal brake only starts working at considerable rpms. I don’t know what’s causing this, but it’s gotta be somewhere around the axle, maybe there’s something off in the threading of the brake cone?

As for reference: I fish my JDM met with PE 1.0, minimal side to side play, 2 break pins active and 2-4 on the external dial depending on the aerodynamics of the lure. The straight fall speed is never effected.

Dman
Angler
Angler

Post by Dman » Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:26 am

Ok thanks for responding! This is baffling to me! I don't feel real comfortable taking a brand new reel apart. I live in Massachusetts! Is there anyone in this general area who works on Shimano reels? I purchased it from Japan Lure shop. This is actually my second Metanium reel. I returned the first one as it was far worse! I've had plenty of experience with Shimano reels. Bought my first one about 30 years ago and never had an issue. It's disappointing since I've heard how great these reels are! Is anyone else out there having similar issues with these JDM reels. I don't want to bad mouth Japan Lure Shop as I've had good experiences with them in the past!

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:47 am

Its not normal how your lure barely drops with 3 brakes on. The problem must be related to the braking blocks. When you turn them on, do they wobble/move up and down freely? If they're somehow stuck and don't move freely, there must be friction. Maybe the whole plastic disc with all the braking blocks isn't seated correctly on the spool? But then again, if this is your 2nd reel in a row, i am not too sure how this is even possible.

Dman
Angler
Angler

Post by Dman » Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:16 pm

Yes! They move freely! But I agree. Something is sticking in there! I'm probably going to bring it someplace to be serviced. These kinds of issues shouldn't occur on brand new reels!

Dman
Angler
Angler

Post by Dman » Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:22 pm

Thanks to all who responded! I found the issue! Two of the brake pins were stuck! when I freed them it was like a new reel. It casts like a charm now!