How do you work a Prop Darter 80?

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

How do you work a Prop Darter 80?

Post by John G » Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:34 pm

I cast out and if it twitch my rod tip very softly, the bait will stay straight and the prop spins. If I twitch a little harder, it dives and then comes up and goes off to the side.
Is either one of these retrieves correct or is it something different entirely?

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: How do you work a Prop Darter 80?

Post by John G » Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:55 pm

I'm posting this again in the hardbait section. I tried to delete this post but it won't let me and I only posted it here because it is a JDM bait. Sorry about that.

mbleming
Angler
Angler

Post by mbleming » Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:31 am

When I first tried out the Prop Darter 80 it had me scratching my head...so much so that I kind of put it away and forgot about it. I picked it up again this fall and now it's been a go to bait for me when fishing at night. I'm not sure what the "proper" way to fish this bait would be but I've been working it with a combo of retrieve, stop, twitch, retrieve, twitch...it's been a lot of fun to fish this thing once I gave it some time. I feel that most of my strikes have been coming when the bait is steadily moving on the retrieve, but whatever it is, it's been producing for me. It's an odd bait for sure, but works really well in the shallow areas I fish in. The Prop Darter 80 and also the Megabass Anthrax have both been great for me this year, though the Anthrax seemed to catch more during the summer months...

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:12 am

Thanks for the reply. To be honest, I haven't used it since I posted this. LOL
For some reason, this seems to be a lure the panfish like to hit. The last fish that I caught was a nice Shellcracker and I know someone else who routinely catches panfish with it.