Advice on DRT jointed rod

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
swimbaitrookie
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Advice on DRT jointed rod

Post by swimbaitrookie » Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:34 pm

Yesterday I purchased a DRT-Studio Composite "for the beast" rod from a local. The rod was disassembled and in the carry bag when he arrived. I checked out the rod, brought it home and assembled the sections, or attempted to. The ferrule joint is very tight and the upper section stopped about half an inch short of full depth. I didn't twist the sections as I assembled them, just aligned and pressed in. The sections don't want to come apart now, nor do they want to let me close the gap. I seem to be at an impasse.

So, how do I get the sections apart, or how do I get that gap to close? I won't need to take the rod apart for storage or transportation but it would be nice to know that I could!

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Advice on DRT jointed rod

Post by Cal » Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:51 pm

The gaps do not close. That's how the ferule joints work.

To disassemble if too tight, sit down and hold a section of the rod in each hand. Hold the rod so it's at the base of your knees as your sitting with your forearms on the outside of your legs. Then spread your legs slowly as you're holding each section of the rod firmly... you should be able to separate the sections with the strength of your legs on a straight pull. Assuming that all makes sense.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:02 am

Apply a little clear candle wax to the male side of the ferrule, helps stop the carbon to carbon bind and any "fly away". These ferrule designs of late have a certain amount of wear designed into them, which allows for wearing in over the years.

I've heard of people applying gentle heat to the female side of the ferrule, and ice to the male side to allow slight expansion / cooling to release the ferrule if they've bound up - the candle wax alleviates this all.

swimbaitrookie
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by swimbaitrookie » Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:41 am

Thank you both.

Shadowcaster1969
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Shadowcaster1969 » Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:04 pm

Spigotted ferrule joints are not suppose to go all the way in until the 2 rod sections touches each other. Most of my spigotted ferrule rods would tighten to about 3/4 or 4/5 of the way.

I second the recommendation of applying ferrule wax to the ferrule so that they fit better, and the wax will also prevent them from getting stuck. But I would be careful to select the correct type of wax. Some candle wax has additives that actually makes the ferrule more sticky and picks up dust and sand that may cause damages to your ferrule. I had used Angler's Image ferrule wax for many years and it had served me well : https://pacificflyfishers.com/products/ ... errule-wax

For stuck ferrules, the "hands behind the knee method" works for me everytime, here is a video that shows how it's done : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUwVEEfkR8g

Good luck!