Your Path to the Dark Side ...

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Your Path to the Dark Side ...

Post by LowRange » Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:42 am

Daiwa Alphas SV. Reels were just winders and spools were just things that hold line. I watched Teal do amazing skips with the Alphas SV doing what I required spinning tackle to do and the reel had no spool tension too. It was insane to think that was possible. I realized that spools in reels were more like an engine in a car than just a thing that holds line and the SV spools were purpose built finesse and skipping machines. I got one and was wowed by how small, smooth and how I could send just about anything flying under a dock with ease without even knowing what I was doing. I couldn't get over how affordable it was too by buying from Japan. I payed like $185 for mine in the summer of 2015 just months after it was launched. This led to getting more of the older coveted Daiwa platforms and tuning parts.

Megabass rods with their mix of good looks, perfect taper for the application and often times surprising versatility sold me on them. Every loopis/saint nick/twisler rods all look the same to me now. Bizarrely ancient, crude and downright unfinished looking by comparison. I hear they dont break as easy boat flipping so they have that going for them. Modern MB seems a little fragile these days but we have a thread for that.

j2015
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by j2015 » Sat Feb 26, 2022 3:06 pm

I was a big fan of St Croix and GLoomis (still am) but the one that got me was the megabass rattle viper type f, it blew me away with its taper balance and build quality. It opened the door for all kinds of shenanigans and ways to spend lots of money.

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:54 am

Only a sith deals in absolutes. Haha. I Got to try a steez 71compile-x and daiwa fuego around 2010. My friend said he got the rod off an eBay auction for $300. It ruined me, the sensitivity, the way it handled fish was, so much better than the BPS rods I had. I immediately started researching and found TT. My path to the dark side and quest for the perfect Texas rig had begun.

I didn't have much cash at the time I was roofing houses and was able to stash around $500 I ended up getting a glx 803 JWR from Bronzefly and a curado 200e. I thought the sensitivity was amazing. I was big on Texas rigging tubes and floating worms at the time combo worked well for that but as I started throwing beeffier creature baits I wanted something with a bit more power and the flashy JDM stuff caught my eye.

My 2nd combo was a Megabass Diablo 5.5 evolution 68xti I got from Hungrycow, paired it with an alphas sv105. I loved the rod but kinda missed, it had a bit more overall power than 803 but not much. Now I have a steez sv 6.3 on it. The 6.3 gold accents match awesome with the evo. It's my favorite rod to this day but I use it for vision 110's, and dark sleepers, senkos.

It took about 10yrs but I have found 4power Loomis is my jam for T-rigging!! I also have a fleet of enthusiast tackle at least two combos for every technique. It's safe to say I'll forever be a gear enthusiast, my problem is I also hunt and ski, the dark side has crept it's way into my other hobbies aswell. I guess I have to thank TT in part for that, even though I'm not sure thank us exactly the right word.

Heitman
Angler
Angler

Post by Heitman » Thu May 05, 2022 1:49 am

Reel: Shimano Scorpion 1000 4X4, and Scorpion Quickfire

Rod: MegaBass P5 Super Destroyer

DaveT63
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by DaveT63 » Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:55 pm

The reel that started it for me was the red Scorpion XT1001. That led to a purple Alphas, then an Alphas Ito, which then led to a PX68L Pixy.

The rod was a G Loomis MBR842 GLX I picked up new at a wholesaler for $200. It was more than twice what I had ever paid for a rod, but I didn't hesitate at the chance to but that rod at that price. I had only read about the Loomis GLX rods up to that time.

The reel I would like to find is a TD-Z Ito. I love and use my TD-Zs regularly, and that metallic green color is just killer.

Senkobass1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Senkobass1 » Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:49 pm

The reel that got me over to the dark side was the TD-Z. The Og was a great reel, and jumping into the type R after was a treat. The reels are older but still show up in my lineup today. Still hold their own vs a lot of the top reels and I’ll take them at day over the midrange reels we have now.

Rod that got me going down the rabbit hole was the OG GLX. Finding out there was better sensitivity than that was mind boggling to me. Now to find another racing design to add to my collection…

John2204
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by John2204 » Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:47 am

I started with the original Scorpion, then went to the Conquest DCs and I just got worse from there…..

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:43 pm

First high end beyond a Lightning Rod...

Circa 1990 Shimano Fighting Rod, 6'6" Med. 2-piece below the first guide IIRC...paired with a dark blue Daiwa autocast spinning with a digital cranking speed readout on the back of reel, and below the handle stem.

First GLoomis GL3 CR724 (Delta Bait and Tackle Manteca CA) was a very stout stick and I was amazed at the crispness and power of it. Paired up with a Daiwa Magforce Procaster.

My first higher tiered combo was a GLoomis MBR783 IMX from Delta Bait and Tackle paired to the OG Pearl White Chronarch 100A. Outdoor Sportsman in Stockton CA circa 1995...that was the opening to several GLoomis IMX and GLX models to come.

First JDM circa 1999 was the OG Burgundy Red 🦂 1000 from Japan Tackle and paired with a Falcon Expert 6'9"L.

What a long strange trip it's been...and hopefully continues to be for many years to come.
Last edited by dragon1 on Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Sun May 28, 2023 2:39 pm

The tackle bug really struck when I purchased a new daiwa alphas the original purple powerhouse, then found tackle tour forums back in the mid 2000s and found out about Pixies etc and reel mods. before that it was just round ABUs and millionaires for me.
I Blame TackleTour.

lzeil
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by lzeil » Sun May 28, 2023 8:54 pm

It started for me with a shimano ch100a (late 90's), then found this site years later, now I have 50+ reels and 50+ rods :lol:. The journey continues...

Smalleyez
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smalleyez » Mon May 29, 2023 6:58 am

Another original Scorpion victim. I couldn’t believe how much nicer it cast compared to the reels I used at the time. I became aware of them on the old BFHP forum.
RRR (Round Reels Rule!)

oops
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by oops » Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:04 am

Price wise, NRX 893c and Calais DC in 2010. I was 24-25 and doing exceptionally well financially. My dad bought all our fishing stuff and we fished Fenwick Techna AV rods with Chronarch 100A and 100SF reels. It was already great stuff but I wanted to gift us a pair of what the internet seemed to think was the best of the best for senkos and light trigs which was the majority of our fishing. He liked the rod and fell in love with the reel. The rod felt like the ultimate cheat code to me to the point I couldn't believe I had ever been fishing without it and I honestly was pretty meh on the reel, but the damage had been done and there was no going back.

Fast forward 13 years and pops is unfortunately no longer around but what is around is my bass arsenal which consists of literally 100% NRX rods (5 I take with me every trip and the rest I leave at home as I deem unnecessary for the day ahead). Looking to branch out into some Megabass stuff if I start leaning into fishing hardbaits again. My in use reels are JDM Metaniums with a Vanquish and Excense for spinning. Irresistible with the exchange rate. I do have my workhorse Chronarch G as my single in use USDM reel. My UL lineup is two JDM rods, a GLoomis TSR rod and a JDM reel...that I really want to upgrade to a Vanquish. Like I said, the damage has been done and there's no going back. I have the Valkyrie 71MH, Windbuster, NRX 872s, 782s, 803c and a couple Triza rods currently on my radar. If I ever got into big baits again I'd get rid of my Dobyns rods and replace them with Valkyrie World Expedition rods as multipiece is something I've really come to appreciate in the past few years of traveling and fishing. Considering moving to the midwest to retire somewhat soon and that's gonna throw 901s/902s onto my radar. I'd really like to find a spinning rod that feels just a hair less powerful but otherwise very similar to my 903c to take with me for redfish this fall and for general inshore use near home. The good news is I'm more than willing to sell stuff as it sort of gets phased out of relevance in my arsenal. The bad news is for every $500 worth of stuff I might sell, I have $1000 worth of plans to buy :lol: