Your Path to the Dark Side ...

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Your Path to the Dark Side ...

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:53 pm

Reel: IDK if it counts but, the Daiwa PX Type R got me looking overseas for reels. It really opened my eyes to BFS and enthusiast tackle. This forum also fed that addiction.

Rod: I don't really remember. I think the NRC 852c got me going. I could have had the Steez Fle X Lite before that but, it's is all a blur. Oddly enough, maybe the Carrot Stix rod I had got me looking into nicer rods. I did everything with that rod. 7ft Medium Moderate. I frogged, jigged, lipless baits, topwater, spinnerbaits...everything.

On my list is the "perfect" BFS trout rod. I have bought them, built them and all that to find it. It has eluded me thus far. The Tsurinoya Ares is the closest I have been. I just need a smidge more backbone and possibly a hair more power in the tip to cast 5gr lures as well. I mostly do brook trout so, I have to have a limber enough rod to still enjoy the fight and also keep them pinned.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:20 pm

Started with a Daiwa Morthan (OG) and MB Javelin Combo and I have ran through most if the highest end reels and rod brands since.

Wish list: Red Mono Block with a custom Designo with titanium/ruby guides :D

KlingerNOK
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KlingerNOK » Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:14 am

Somewhere in the '98-2000 range I took a test ride in a new Skeeter at the Grand Challenge. When the boat driver was showing the compartment layout I noticed these beautiful maroon Curados(actually Scorpions) in the rod locker. With a mischievous grin the guy talked about the JDM stuff he loved. I started shopping for the JDM stuff immediately thereafter. A Scorpion 1001 or 1501 was my first taste- I can't remember which one I got first. A Metanium XT followed shortly.
It's funny how some peoples eyes seem to glaze over with boredom when talking about some limited or import only item, while a very few get genuinely excited.
My budget won't allow me to too far down the rabbit hole, but I still have about half my arsenal filled with JDM reels and custom rods.

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:24 pm

My first JDM reel was a OG Conquest 100 bought from Japan Tackle and my first JDM rod was a Major Craft MSX Limited 6'7"L BFS.
On my wish list is either the 6'10" L Poison Ultima or an equivalent length JDM Fenwick BFS model paired up with a KTF Aldebaran.

Jeep
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Jeep » Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:56 am

My first JDM reel I bought used on here. A Megabass Zonda 68 green illusion with a Megabass honeycomb spool installed. That reel setup is just killer. My first JDM rod was a Megabass Destroyer Faust. I'm hooked for life now. Fishing JDM equipment is a blast. On my wishlist is a Megabass monoblock and a Evergreen casting rod

robxc80
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by robxc80 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:05 pm

Just started in January with a JDM Certate and a JDM Daiwa travel rod for the surf. Since then picked up three Megabass Triza and two Conquests. Damn the tackle monkey.

tincanary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tincanary » Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:38 am

I started last year with a Daiwa ASC and Major Craft Troutino 4'10". Fast forward a year and now I have an Alphas CT, Millionaire CT, Conquest BFS, and Revo BF7 on top of the ASC plus a fair amount of Major Craft, Kuying, and Tsurinoya rods. You're all a bunch of bad influences, but I like it lol.

hmnginmn
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by hmnginmn » Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:29 pm

Don't have a gateway reel but recently picked up a antares dx md xg.

Gateway rod was the US Gen 1 Orochi XX Flatside special which I used mostly for jerkbaits. Found a great deal on a US Destroyer 110 special then ventured on eBay and found a Black Jungle Power Versatile then purchased a Gen 2 Super Red Demon, broke the SED by being dumb, purchased a MINT Gen1 SRD, sold it, purchased a TS Destroyer Blackjack and am contemplating the TS poker for a heavy jig rod.
Long live the Jerkbait

G40
Angler
Angler

Post by G40 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:03 pm

My gateway started with baits. I've been modifying and tinkering with baits since I was a kid. I don't really fish to catch fish, I fish to experiment with stuff. Megabass was the first to really spark my interest in JDM design. As the US market became boring and now continues to remain creatively stagnant, JDM tackle filled the void for new and interesting ideas.

Now its exploded into a full arsenals of JDM rods, reels and upgraded parts. Silly Style, JDM hand made baits etc. They generally put a lot more thought into their products, I even have a small private Facebook group dedicated to specifically JDM enthusiasm.

My wish list: A custom Wrapped Big bait rod, wrapped by Capt. G in Japan :big grin:

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:00 am

My first high end reel was a Daiwa Millionaire CVZ 203A in the late 90's I believe. I had several and used them for inshore and freshwater. I wish I would have kept one for inshore fishing. The rod that led me to the dark side was a Kistler Helium 2 LTX. It had a strange grip material that made the rod pretty sensitive, it just was uncomfortable for me and I sold the rod after a couple seasons. Wish list - I got a Daiwa Exist at the beginning of this season and want a couple more. I would also like to get a Steez bottom Contact to compare to my NRX's.

Bmauldin22
Angler
Angler

Post by Bmauldin22 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:56 am

Reel: Shimano Core
Rod: G Loomis 873 CRR

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:58 pm

Does a greenie Curado count? It was an expensive reel for me at the time and it's only gotten more expensive. :lol:

Junk Fisherman
Angler
Angler

Post by Junk Fisherman » Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:39 am

Steez 761

I have used GLXs (843, 844) for years and a variety of Dobyns Champ (XP and HP) rods. But last fall I wanted to get a high-end dropshot rod. It came down to a Loomis and the Steez. I went with the Steez due to the "unicorn" description and the 1/16 to 3/4 oz weight range. I was initially impressed at its lightness and overall craftsmanship when it arrived but the first time I threw my standard 1/16th oz jig and TRD with it I was blown away. The crispness and sensitivity of the rod when paired with the YGK Sol is fantastic. Throw that Ned in riprap and you feel everything. It is easily the best rod I have ever used and a couple levels up from the Dobyns 741 HP that had been my Ned rig rod. Now I am looking to get the new 761 but I don't really have a need for it.

I am mostly a smallie guy so I focus on spinning rigs. Spinning reels don't do much for me. All my Daiwa reels from Ballistics to Procyons to Tatulas are all comparable to me. But I now have a much greater lust for top of the line spinning rods and it all started with the Steez.

Mehtasaab
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Mehtasaab » Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:17 am

the real love came from OG Steezs going on sale at TW

vidrine_3
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by vidrine_3 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:09 pm

Late to the game but for me....