Anyone send their reel back to Japan?

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
jrk
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Anyone send their reel back to Japan?

Post by jrk » Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:19 am

For me, being able to send my reel(s) into Shimano here in the USA has always been a serious convenience and Shimano has always been a pleasure to deal with.
I wish Shimano sent their new Calcutta Conquest 2021 200 HG to the States. This would be perfect for me. I'm also eyeballing the new Antares DC, but hesitate as I'm no expert in maintenance and parts replacement.
Has anyone sent their reels purchased from Japan back to the shop purchased from to get maintenance/issues taken care of? If so, costs involved?

Thanks for the help...

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Anyone send their reel back to Japan?

Post by ss30378 » Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:01 pm

You wouldn’t need to send the reel back to Japan to be serviced. Parts can be ordered from Japan and places like the tackle trap can service the reel.

Most of my reels are JDM and getting parts shipped in is pretty easy. Other than the specific HG gear set other parts should be domestically available.

jrk
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jrk » Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:08 pm

Thanks for the reply and info.
Was not aware of that service by TT. I though they were a Daiwa only these days.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Sun Jul 11, 2021 5:33 am

The Tackle Trap is a Daiwa Warranty center and is one of the few Exist LT Executive Service certified dealers in the country. Bryan works on many brands, Shimano included, and TT can source Japan parts for JDM reels as well. Check out the "Reel Service" page below for more information.

Reel Repair, Cleaning, and Tuning @ The Tackle Trap
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

jrk
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jrk » Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:37 am

bronzefly wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 5:33 am
The Tackle Trap is a Daiwa Warranty center and is one of the few Exist LT Executive Service certified dealers in the country. Bryan works on many brands, Shimano included, and TT can source Japan parts for JDM reels as well. Check out the "Reel Service" page below for more information.

Reel Repair, Cleaning, and Tuning @ The Tackle Trap
Huge thank you for the information BF! I'll look into this.
Ideally, it'd be nice to have the 2021 CC in 200 size. If I can rely on servicing here in the States, keeping all original over time, that makes it all the better.

jrk
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jrk » Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:43 am

I've been meaning to reply to this thread for a few weeks. I simply wanted to report that I called TT after getting responses above and spoke directly with Bryan...I was impressed and surprised...
I don't recall, at least in a long while, experiencing such great customer service over the phone.
I called just prior to TT closing evidently, but this didn't stop Bryan from answering all of my rather ambiguous questions...of varying topics. And I never once got the impression I was bothering or keeping him from closing...quite the opposite actually...felt like speaking with a friend about a topic both were extremely passionate about.
I've not dealt with TT in the past, but have heard it mentioned on this site quite a bit over the years. I plan to do so however, and look forward to it.

It's nice to know this place exists, and people like Bryan work there. Very impressive...