Any reviews on the 2021 Shimano Conquest vs the 19 Conquest DC?

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Shadowcaster1969
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Any reviews on the 2021 Shimano Conquest vs the 19 Conquest DC?

Post by Shadowcaster1969 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:47 am

freelancer27 wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:32 am
Had some time with my 2021 CC 101HG (on a NRX+ 893c, 14lb sunline sniper camo).

First impressions: this thing is tiny. Like really tiny. I was a bit worried first that this reel would be too fragile. I was wrong.

The reel is really smooth, maybe a tiny bit smoother even than my Antares 70. Its a different smoothness than a Steez SV TW though. While the Shimanos always give you this feel of a Rolex (when you screw down one), the Steez are much free feeling and remind me a bit more of a Porsche. I like both feeling with a slight preference for the Steez.

While my 4year old Steez SV TW is still as smooth as the day i got it (after countless bank fishing trips, where i dont really baby my gear), the Shimanos have yet to proof their long term smoothness. I sold a 2019 CC DC 201HG because it lost its smoothness after a few months. My 2018 Antares DC MD feels pretty geary (and i took this reel apart multiple times for full cleans) My 2108 CC 401 is still smooth, though makes a really weird sound when I cast it).

Performance wise the 2021 CC 101 HG is a solid performer. It casts 3/8oz lures far enough, has more than enough drag and palms nicely (i have larger hands) with the NRX.
Verybclose to the Antares 70 in my opinion. It really comes down to which form you prefer.

It is a bit more finicky in varying wind and lure consitions, than a Steez SV TW. The Steez you basically set to 4-6 and forget it. The CC requires a bit more adjusting. I have to add though that my experience is impacted by the Sunline FC camo line. This line feels quite a bit stiffer than a comparable 14lb line of Tatsu or Sniper FC.

Would I buy it again? Yes, since it just feels like such a solid piece of engineering!

I was even debating to get the 201HG for my chatterbait rod. Decided then to try something new and different and went with the 2021 Antares DC XG.

Cheers y'all!
Glad you like your new toy! :D

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:45 pm

Shadowcaster1969 wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:47 am
freelancer27 wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:32 am
Had some time with my 2021 CC 101HG (on a NRX+ 893c, 14lb sunline sniper camo).

First impressions: this thing is tiny. Like really tiny. I was a bit worried first that this reel would be too fragile. I was wrong.

The reel is really smooth, maybe a tiny bit smoother even than my Antares 70. Its a different smoothness than a Steez SV TW though. While the Shimanos always give you this feel of a Rolex (when you screw down one), the Steez are much free feeling and remind me a bit more of a Porsche. I like both feeling with a slight preference for the Steez.

While my 4year old Steez SV TW is still as smooth as the day i got it (after countless bank fishing trips, where i dont really baby my gear), the Shimanos have yet to proof their long term smoothness. I sold a 2019 CC DC 201HG because it lost its smoothness after a few months. My 2018 Antares DC MD feels pretty geary (and i took this reel apart multiple times for full cleans) My 2108 CC 401 is still smooth, though makes a really weird sound when I cast it).

Performance wise the 2021 CC 101 HG is a solid performer. It casts 3/8oz lures far enough, has more than enough drag and palms nicely (i have larger hands) with the NRX.
Verybclose to the Antares 70 in my opinion. It really comes down to which form you prefer.

It is a bit more finicky in varying wind and lure consitions, than a Steez SV TW. The Steez you basically set to 4-6 and forget it. The CC requires a bit more adjusting. I have to add though that my experience is impacted by the Sunline FC camo line. This line feels quite a bit stiffer than a comparable 14lb line of Tatsu or Sniper FC.

Would I buy it again? Yes, since it just feels like such a solid piece of engineering!

I was even debating to get the 201HG for my chatterbait rod. Decided then to try something new and different and went with the 2021 Antares DC XG.

Cheers y'all!
Glad you like your new toy! :D
Yep, I do so much, I just ordered a 201 HG as well. I think these Conquest reels will (hopefully) stay in my possession for a very long time. I dont think that there is much that the guys at Shimano can really improve on this platform anymore. They might shave off some additional weight, add an additional bearing here or there, but I think that we have reached the end of the evolution (and to be quite honest, that applies to most reel lines these days).

kakaryan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by kakaryan » Sat Feb 11, 2023 3:03 am

DrPerf wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:52 pm
In March I purchased the most recent Conquest DC 101HG. My hope was to replace my OG Conquest 101DC since the new version was a smaller frame size.

I tested the casting performance of the new reel at a “casting park” where I have distances and targets marked. With the same rods, the OG 101DC outperformed the new reel with casting weights as low as 3/8 oz. up to 1 oz. (Full disclosure: the OG 101DC has been fully tuned by myself and stock spool bearings replaced with excellent German ceramic bearings.)

So, I was hoping for at least close to comparable casting performance with the Conquest DC 101HG. Even with all braking (internal and external) turned off on the new reel, the OG 101DC consistently cast further with each weight used.

The Conquest DC 101HG was so smooth and such a good looking reel that I decided to fish with it anyway for a few trips. The reel performed well with the rod (MB 71H Valkyrie, I believe) it was paired with and I caught several good fish with jigs.

But at the “end of the day” I decided to sell the reel primarily due to the weight to performance ratio for me. Due to issues with my wrist/hand, I am sensitive to the weight of a rod/reel combination. And the 8.6 oz. weight of the new Conquest DC 101HG was not offset by the casting performance of the reel.

The “fit and finish” of the reel is outstanding and it is a gorgeous reel. I almost kept it anyway just for those reasons. So, while an excellent reel in many aspects, it did not meet my expectations and the OG 101DC remains “in rotation”.

Now the new Antares HG has been a different story for me. Casting performance has been outstanding, so the weight of 8.8 oz. is offset by that casting performance. And it has performed well “on the water” for the two fishing trips where it was used.

Regards,
Doc
Hi Doc

For your OG Conquest DC do you mean the 2003 or the 2010 version? Thanks