Any reviews on the 2021 Shimano Conquest vs the 19 Conquest DC?

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Shadowcaster1969
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Any reviews on the 2021 Shimano Conquest vs the 19 Conquest DC?

Post by Shadowcaster1969 » Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:38 pm

Hi,

A couple of tackle shops near me is beginning to carry the brand new 2021 Conquest. If you had managed to cast and fish with one, can you share your experience? I'm currently using a 2019 Conquest DC 201HG. I am considering adding a 101HG size reel, and is still deciding between the 19 DC 101HG or the 2021 mechanical Conquest model... The drag and all other mechanism seems to be identical between the 2019 DC and the 2021 Conquest model, so I guess the difference is just between the casting quality, and the color.

Your comments and recommendations would be much appreciated!

Best Regards

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Any reviews on the 2021 Shimano Conquest vs the 19 Conquest DC?

Post by ss30378 » Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:23 pm

If you plan on casting anything 1/4oz or less the MGL spool is the way to go. Other changes with the 21 is the 7.4 ratio vs the 6.8, infinity drive (really does give effortless cranking, the 7.4 felt like it had cranking reel power) and the 21 sits a little lower than the older models.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:46 pm

ss30378 wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:23 pm
If you plan on casting anything 1/4oz or less the MGL spool is the way to go.
The latest Conquest DC also has an MGL spool ;)
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Shadowcaster1969
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Shadowcaster1969 » Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:46 pm

Cal is correct, the Conquest DC I'm using currently has the original MGL spool, but I also noticed that the 21 Conquest MGL spool is a version III. Wonder if there are significant performance improvement between MGL Ver 1 and Ver III? :D

SS30378, Do you feel that the "Infinity Drive" feature is indeed a noticeable improvement? One of the thing I noticed on my 2019 Conquest DC is that there is still just a very slight back-play on the reel handle. It's not noticeable nor does it affect the reel performance while fishing but if you really pay special attention and scrutinize for it, the back-play is there. Reels like the Daiwa Morethan PE and the Ryoga has close to zero back-play. Does the "Infinity Drive" feature eliminate this back-play issue?

I guess the above 2 differences between the 19 Conquest DC 101HG and the 2021 Conquest 101HG is probably not very significant and on the margin at best. :? The real feature I probably have to decide between is DC casting versus SVS casting...

I've not used an SVS reel for the last 10++ years, having only fished with Shimano DC reels and Daiwa Magforce Z reels since 2005. Do you think the latest SVS would measure up to at least the Magforce Z or the DC cast control in terms backlash control in windy condition and casting distance? I don't cast small and light lures most of the time, my usual lures are crankbaits, jerkbaits and Z-Man plastics just to provide a context.

Thanks in advance for your advise and sharing.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:12 pm

Shadowcaster1969 wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:46 pm

I guess the above 2 differences between the 19 Conquest DC 101HG and the 2021 Conquest 101HG is probably not very significant and on the margin at best. :? The real feature I probably have to decide between is DC casting versus SVS casting...
Infinity SVS equipped reels with MGL spools are just as capable as DC ... DC is not about distance, but ease of control.
Cal, Managing Editor

Shadowcaster1969
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Shadowcaster1969 » Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:23 pm

Thanks Cal for your comments. Sounds like the 2021 Conquest might be worth a try! :)

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:53 am

Shadowcaster1969 wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:23 pm
Thanks Cal for your comments. Sounds like the 2021 Conquest might be worth a try! :)
This is not the place to visit if you want to be talked out of a purchase ;) :lol:
Cal, Managing Editor

Shadowcaster1969
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Shadowcaster1969 » Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:09 pm

Cal wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:53 am
Shadowcaster1969 wrote:
This is not the place to visit if you want to be talked out of a purchase ;) :lol:
I kind of knew that when I first wrote this post... perhaps I was looking for an excuse for the purchase... :lol:

TravisNY
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TravisNY » Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:47 pm

Cal wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:53 am
Shadowcaster1969 wrote:
:lol:

jrk
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jrk » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:09 pm

You must be a brother from another mother!
I've been looking into the exact decision making process based on very similar thoughts.
Distance is huge for me, and currently love this little 2020 CC 100 DC. I had the 200 prior and think the 100 might edge it out in casting 1/2oz and heavier, but this might simply come down to one model's bearings being slightly less oiled, etc.
I've had many other DC reels as well...and have been using since they were first introduced. All have been incredible, but did not like the 2016 Antares that much...felt it was over braked.

And like you, I have not spent much time with the newer SVS breaking, but threw my son's new Metanium the other day and was pretty surprised with the distance...after seeing distance I was getting with brakes tuned to 2 on 2 off and dial set to middle of the road, I'm pretty sure I could beat out the little 100 DC. I agree with Cal...in the right hands, a non-DC reel could beat out a DC reel, but most will probably get more distance on average easier using the latter. I will say that I've really come to enjoy the sound of the DC over the years, but I believe this is simply due to the feeling that I'm not hearing manual brakes rubbing against the race. DC is not "quiet", but for me feels like the reel is free of any friction sound impeding the cast.

Having rambled off above, my experience with Daiwa is much more limited. But I believe I might be able to outcast all of above with my older Coastal 200 TW. Some feel the TWS is ugly and does not make a difference. I feel the opposite. When really throwing something with speed and force, the TWS and its wider aperture simply provides less resistance/friction. After experience with this, I bought the Morethan when it came out a year or so ago. Weird...did not like this reel...felt it to finicky no matter how I set it up and what line types I tried. After trying the Lexa HD, I believe I've come to the conclusion that I'm a fan of the Magforce Z breaks over the standard Magforce used in the Tatula 300 and Lexa. But...my experience with Daiwa is limited.

Love to try out the new non-DC 100 since its sold here in the States. Wish the 200 sold here was offered in the higher ratio. Just hate to buy and end up selling not used, etc.
A demo program would be HUGE!

Sorry to ramble on. Be interested to hear others' thoughts on this and these reels.

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:58 pm

Shadowcaster1969 wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:38 pm
Hi,

A couple of tackle shops near me is beginning to carry the brand new 2021 Conquest. If you had managed to cast and fish with one, can you share your experience? I'm currently using a 2019 Conquest DC 201HG. I am considering adding a 101HG size reel, and is still deciding between the 19 DC 101HG or the 2021 mechanical Conquest model... The drag and all other mechanism seems to be identical between the 2019 DC and the 2021 Conquest model, so I guess the difference is just between the casting quality, and the color.

Best Regards
HI!

Which CC did you end up choosing? I am thinking of maybe getting the 2021 101HG as well for my senko rod. Since distance and cast control is important to me as well, I would love to hear your (and others?!) experience.

I have a Antares 70HG that I can compare with.

Shadowcaster1969
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Shadowcaster1969 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:46 am

freelancer27 wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:58 pm
Shadowcaster1969 wrote:
Hi,

Best Regards
HI!

Which CC did you end up choosing? I am thinking of maybe getting the 2021 101HG as well for my senko rod. Since distance and cast control is important to me as well, I would love to hear your (and others?!) experience.

I ended up with the centrifugal Conquest HG, but not because I think the Conquest DC is not as good, but because I also got myself a 21 Antares DC, so a mechanical Conquest would be a better distribution of investment. :). As for the casting capabilities, the Conquest is capable of of incredible distance, just like the Antares DC in X mode, but requires more care and smoothness especially when casting less dense lure into a head wind. The Antares DC in any mode other than the "X" mode lets you get away with a lot of sloppiness, but trades off in just a little bit of distance. I like the new "X" mode although it is less forgiving because it allows you un-shackle from the more restrictive DC control previously and really get your lure way out there when the conditions requires it. In terms of built and smoothness, the Conquest HG is still unrivaled in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, the 21 Antares DC is smooth as butter, no slop in the gear at all and a vast improvement over the 18 Antares DC MD, but the Conquest has a more solid feel to it. The out-going drag clicker on the Conquest is another feature I wish the Antares has!

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:28 am

Shadowcaster1969 wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:46 am
The out-going drag clicker on the Conquest is another feature I wish the Antares has!
If memory serves me correctly - and who knows about that these days - I'm pretty sure the Conquest DC has it ;) :lol:
Cal, Managing Editor

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:33 am

Shadowcaster1969 wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:46 am
freelancer27 wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:58 pm
Shadowcaster1969 wrote:
Hi,

Best Regards
HI!

I ended up with the centrifugal Conquest HG, but not because I think the Conquest DC is not as good, but because I also got myself a 21 Antares DC, so a mechanical Conquest would be a better distribution of investment. :). As for the casting capabilities, the Conquest is capable of of incredible distance, just like the Antares DC in X mode, but requires more care and smoothness especially when casting less dense lure into a head wind. The Antares DC in any mode other than the "X" mode lets you get away with a lot of sloppiness, but trades off in just a little bit of distance. I like the new "X" mode although it is less forgiving because it allows you un-shackle from the more restrictive DC control previously and really get your lure way out there when the conditions requires it. In terms of built and smoothness, the Conquest HG is still unrivaled in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, the 21 Antares DC is smooth as butter, no slop in the gear at all and a vast improvement over the 18 Antares DC MD, but the Conquest has a more solid feel to it. The out-going drag clicker on the Conquest is another feature I wish the Antares has!
Thanks for taking the time to reply. Would you think that the 2021 conquest is a good choice to throw 1/4 - 3/8oz jigs and plastics?

Thanks again!

DrPerf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DrPerf » Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:52 pm

In March I purchased the most recent Conquest DC 101HG. My hope was to replace my OG Conquest 101DC since the new version was a smaller frame size.

I tested the casting performance of the new reel at a “casting park” where I have distances and targets marked. With the same rods, the OG 101DC outperformed the new reel with casting weights as low as 3/8 oz. up to 1 oz. (Full disclosure: the OG 101DC has been fully tuned by myself and stock spool bearings replaced with excellent German ceramic bearings.)

So, I was hoping for at least close to comparable casting performance with the Conquest DC 101HG. Even with all braking (internal and external) turned off on the new reel, the OG 101DC consistently cast further with each weight used.

The Conquest DC 101HG was so smooth and such a good looking reel that I decided to fish with it anyway for a few trips. The reel performed well with the rod (MB 71H Valkyrie, I believe) it was paired with and I caught several good fish with jigs.

But at the “end of the day” I decided to sell the reel primarily due to the weight to performance ratio for me. Due to issues with my wrist/hand, I am sensitive to the weight of a rod/reel combination. And the 8.6 oz. weight of the new Conquest DC 101HG was not offset by the casting performance of the reel.

The “fit and finish” of the reel is outstanding and it is a gorgeous reel. I almost kept it anyway just for those reasons. So, while an excellent reel in many aspects, it did not meet my expectations and the OG 101DC remains “in rotation”.

Now the new Antares HG has been a different story for me. Casting performance has been outstanding, so the weight of 8.8 oz. is offset by that casting performance. And it has performed well “on the water” for the two fishing trips where it was used.

Regards,
Doc