Daiwa Exist 18

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
robertjb7771
Angler
Angler

Daiwa Exist 18

Post by robertjb7771 » Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:33 am

Considering purchasing the Daiwa Exist 18 in either the 2000 or 2500 sizes, but what I'm worried about is that it might be due for a refresh soon. Does anyone have a rough estimate on when they think the next Exist will debut?

Canga-
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Daiwa Exist 18

Post by Canga- » Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:21 am

no idea when there will be a new one, but with this exist being the first off the specific platform i wouldnt imagine it would be a major update when they do, more or less and incremental upgrade. i dont own the current exist, the prvious zaion model, and they are amazing reels, super smooth, super light. i also own the Luvias Airity, and while a little less expensive than the current exist i cant imagine that the exist is that much better!

robertjb7771
Angler
Angler

Post by robertjb7771 » Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:07 pm

You'r right on the fact that there would be no major updates ,except maybe more cosmetic. I cant think of any major technological innovations that they could add to the exist, as it is now , its pretty close to perfect ( performance/build/weight). i see that as well with Shimano , i think 2017-2018 was peak reel and now its mostly cosmetic with a few insignificant changes and a heavy dose of marketing.

I also just purchased the luvias Airity, which is 98% actually a exist ,save for one less bearing ( bushing on the reel shaft which i plan to replace with a exist bearing), no anti reverse and reel shaft that was swapped out for aluminum to cut down on weight. There are videos from youtube that discuss the slight differences between reels. Spools are also interchangeable between models. Im sure alot of people are sleeping on the Airity but when they realize that its pretty much an exsit for $300-$400 less then the price will go up. One pro to the exsit is the insane usa warranty , which is LIFETIME warranty on any defects which includes FREE lifetime service/clean of the reel as well. Thats why i want one for inshore use, i'll use the Airity for freshwater.

JWY
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by JWY » Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:48 am

robertjb7771 wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:33 am
Does anyone have a rough estimate on when they think the next Exist will debut?
Most likely 2022, with 95% confidence interval. :mrgreen:

The cycle for the popular models is generally 4 years.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:36 am

Canga- wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:21 am
but with this exist being the first off the specific platform i wouldnt imagine it would be a major update when they do, more or less and incremental upgrade.
Wouldn't that argue for a major redesign since it was the first MQ freshwater platform? Esp now that the Luvias Airity is basically a carbon copy of the Exist. I expect at the very least a new body frame but like others I can't imagine how they could improve on the functionality and design of the current Exist - thing is just perfect lol.

Daiwa hit a homerun with the MQ spinners esp the Certate and Exist, Shimano spinners look incredibly awkward to me now with all the bulges and sharp angles.

Canga-
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Canga- » Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:41 am

reason162 wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:36 am
Canga- wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:21 am
but with this exist being the first off the specific platform i wouldnt imagine it would be a major update when they do, more or less and incremental upgrade.
Wouldn't that argue for a major redesign since it was the first MQ freshwater platform? Esp now that the Luvias Airity is basically a carbon copy of the Exist. I expect at the very least a new body frame but like others I can't imagine how they could improve on the functionality and design of the current Exist - thing is just perfect lol.

Daiwa hit a homerun with the MQ spinners esp the Certate and Exist, Shimano spinners look incredibly awkward to me now with all the bulges and sharp angles.
agreed, i have 3 of the certates and a luvias airity, probably picking up another airity when i eventually find a wind buster in stock somewhere! and might take a look at the new ballistic lt mq for a different rod.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:15 am

robertjb7771 wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:07 pm
One pro to the exsit is the insane usa warranty , which is LIFETIME warranty on any defects which includes FREE lifetime service/clean of the reel as well. Thats why i want one for inshore use, i'll use the Airity for freshwater.
This alone is worth the price difference in comparison to Luvias Airty in my opinion. Luvias Airty is a magsealed reel so unfortunately parts are difficult if not impossible to acquire which will be an expensive lesson for buyers of this reel in the future. I have one presently because I wanted to check it out but it will find a new home in favor of another Exist LT.

In terms of a refresh of 18 Exist LT, I don't know, it will happen eventually, but I agree with Roger - the reel is as close to perfection in a spinning reel as I've ever used. I have no issue whatsoever ordering another one now even if I knew they were changing it up next year. That Executive Service on US models is so incredibly valuable over time that it is hard to ignore.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Canga-
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Canga- » Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:58 am

bronzefly wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:15 am
robertjb7771 wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:07 pm
One pro to the exsit is the insane usa warranty , which is LIFETIME warranty on any defects which includes FREE lifetime service/clean of the reel as well. Thats why i want one for inshore use, i'll use the Airity for freshwater.
This alone is worth the price difference in comparison to Luvias Airty in my opinion. Luvias Airty is a magsealed reel so unfortunately parts are difficult if not impossible to acquire which will be an expensive lesson for buyers of this reel in the future. I have one presently because I wanted to check it out but it will find a new home in favor of another Exist LT.

In terms of a refresh of 18 Exist LT, I don't know, it will happen eventually, but I agree with Roger - the reel is as close to perfection in a spinning reel as I've ever used. I have no issue whatsoever ordering another one now even if I knew they were changing it up next year. That Executive Service on US models is so incredibly valuable over time that it is hard to ignore.
i wish i could own a new exist, i picked the 2 i have (2015 model) on clearance, and i love them! however at 800 for a new one i probably wont be able to afford one. i love high end gear but have to work my ass off for every piece of gear i have, and the luvias airity (currently around 450) is a super nice reel, seemingly built on the same platform as the exist. for the price ill stick to my airity and certates, but i envy those that can get the exist, it looks amazing!