Looking for suggestions: Calcutta Conquests with Megabass Triza’s

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
robxc80
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Looking for suggestions: Calcutta Conquests with Megabass Triza’s

Post by robxc80 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:00 pm

Hello all. I’m becoming a bit of a travel rod junkie as I’m looking to fish a lot more while I travel with the wife and kids. I picked up a few of the new Megabass Triza rods and am hoping to get some versatility from them. I fish fresh and salt currently and want something that can work both.

I picked up the following three rods:
- Triza Thunderbird MH F4
- Triza Stympalides H F5
- Triza Dragoon XH F7

I also picked up two reels and need advice on the third .
- Shimano Calcutta Conquest 100HG (to pair with the Thunderbird)
- Shimano Calcutta Conquest 200HG

My question is which size Calcutta Conquest I should get as my third. Still wondering if I should pair the 200HG with the F5 Stympalides, or if it should pair with the F7 Dragoon.

I’m looking for these three casting setups to be used to cover the majority of my FW bass fishing trips but also to double as inshore rods (though the Thunderbird would probably be too light). The dragoon for 3oz and under swimbaits and heavy jig/worms. The Stympalides for frogging, heavy cranks, and worms/jigs. And the Thunderbird for cranks, worm/jigs, top water, etc…

So my question, how should I pair the reels and what should I get for the third reel? Would the 200HG Conquest be too much for the F5 Stympalides? Should I get a 300 Conquest for the Dragoon?

Reason I’m leaning to a conquest is the need to be able to fosh the salt but I am open to suggestions.

Thank you

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Looking for suggestions: Calcutta Conquests with Megabass Triza’s

Post by Cal » Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:36 pm

I’d base your decision on size with the line capacity you need for the given line you intend to fish.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

robxc80
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Looking for suggestions: Calcutta Conquests with Megabass Triza’s

Post by robxc80 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:37 pm

Thanks Cal. I’m looking for versatility more than anything. I guess the main question is what reel would be best for that dragoon. Plan to use it primarily for smaller swimbaits when FW fishing with the occasional heavy jig and worm. Calcutta 300 pr ryoga 1520. When in salt, would be throwing plastics and irons under 3oz.