JDM Rod for DD Crankbaits, Perhaps Small A Rig

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
DarkShadow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

JDM Rod for DD Crankbaits, Perhaps Small A Rig

Post by DarkShadow » Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:41 pm

Guys,

As I try to round out my arsenal, a rod that is missing from the rotation is a rod that can handle deep diving crankbaits (Norman DD22s, Megabass Deep Six, e.g.). I was also looking to see if this rod can double as a small A-Rig rod as well.

Any ideas to throw around for rods that can be found relatively easily?

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: JDM Rod for DD Crankbaits, Perhaps Small A Rig

Post by LowRange » Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:07 am

Orochi X4 711 or black python maybe? That's what I use for those same baits. http://www.tackletour.com/reviewmegabassfx71181x4.html

evilcatfish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by evilcatfish » Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:11 am

Maybe a P5 tequila baccarac? I haven’t fished one, but it seems to get a lot of praise as being a very versatile heavy application rod

Jnkoepp
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jnkoepp » Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:27 pm

Not JDM but an Orochi Launcher is perfect for this

Shadowcaster1969
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Shadowcaster1969 » Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:12 pm

Hi DarkShadow,

I have 2 JDM rod recommendations for you. Besides the DD22, I use these two rods to work heavy cranks like the Duo Realis C87 20+, the Storm Arashi Deep 25+ and Evergreen Gold Digger 600 (20ft++).

My go to crank rod is the Zenaq Expedition 67. https://www.tomostackle.com/zenaq-exped ... avel-rods/
It's a sensitive, light weight but powerful rod to drive and work those heavy crankbaits down at 20++ft. It has an amazingly sensitive yet responsive rod tip that allows you to feel every twitch the bait is making but yet powerful enough to set the heavy Sz1 hook into the hard jaw of a big fish. It also comes in a convenient 3-piece configuration for travel.

My second recommendation is the Tenryu Rockeye Vortex RV78B-HH. https://www.plat.co.jp/shop/catalog/pro ... pping.html
This JDM rod has very similar characteristic as the Zenaq but 13inch longer for better reach. Despite the length, it is also lighter but without any sacrifice for power.

I must qualify that at where I am based currently I do not fish for largemouth bass. Rather, I use these rods to crank the depth for big Snakeheads in freshwater lakes and reservoirs, and also for Groupers in salwater coastal rocky areas. These powerful fish can get quite sizable so naturally, lifting power and fish turning powere are also key elements that I look for in this class of rods. In some way my requirement for fishing lifting and turning power may compromise other aspects such as light weight and sensitivity that may be more important for other types of fishing. That's something to keep at the back of your mind.

Good luck in your quest for a new Crankbait rod!

KP Duty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KP Duty » Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:51 am

I have the poison glorious 7-3"mh-g, and it handles dd22's well. It's rated up to 35 grams, but I keep it at 1oz or lighter. For large cranks AND A-rigs, you might look at the Luxxe effreet 7-6" XH regular (1/2-4oz). Rod weighs only128g.
https://jdmtackleheaven.com/products/ga ... 9f51&_ss=r

DarkShadow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DarkShadow » Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:22 pm

I ended up getting a Dobyns Champion 765CB, far from a JDM rod, but a good rod nonetheless.

KP Duty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KP Duty » Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:04 am

DarkShadow wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:22 pm
I ended up getting a Dobyns Champion 765CB, far from a JDM rod, but a good rod nonetheless.
Word. I like my imx-pro crankers as much as any I own.