Evergreen Orion "The Degel"

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Evergreen Orion "The Degel"

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:10 am

Anyone have experience with this 6'7ml finesse rod?

evilcatfish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Evergreen Orion "The Degel"

Post by evilcatfish » Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:15 am

I have not fished the degel but do have a black rose and really like it. The Orion rods are beautiful in a modest way and I have been impressed with mine. I was recently considering the “lightnin strike” but have yet to pull the trigger. The listed weight range on this series is pretty crazy to me, especially on the lighter rods

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:11 am

evilcatfish wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:15 am
I have not fished the degel but do have a black rose and really like it. The Orion rods are beautiful in a modest way and I have been impressed with mine. I was recently considering the “lightnin strike” but have yet to pull the trigger. The listed weight range on this series is pretty crazy to me, especially on the lighter rods
Yes, the weights listed are definitely a bit odd. Kinda like some Daiwa rods I've had that state 1/8 oz to 1 oz 🤷‍♂️. I read somewhere on here that the new Evergreen rods rolled with the T1100 material aren't all that sensitive. What are your thoughts? As for the line and lure ratings, would you say they swing more to the top or bottom of the listed range? Thank you for the help.

evilcatfish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by evilcatfish » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:35 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:11 am
evilcatfish wrote:
Yes, the weights listed are definitely a bit odd. Kinda like some Daiwa rods I've had that state 1/8 oz to 1 oz 🤷‍♂️. I read somewhere on here that the new Evergreen rods rolled with the T1100 material aren't all that sensitive. What are your thoughts? As for the line and lure ratings, would you say they swing more to the top or bottom of the listed range? Thank you for the help.
I'll say sensitivity is pretty good on the Black Rose but perhaps not top tier. I've been using mine deep water dragging football jigs and worms a bit this summer and its been sensitive enough for me.

I think the specified weight range is a little generous on the high end and couldn't see myself throwing anything much heavier than maybe 2oz on this rod. Most of the baits I've thrown have been in the .5 to 1.5 ounces range, though with a different reel than what I'm using (Steez A HLC) going down to say a .25oz t rig or something would be no problem

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:14 pm

evilcatfish wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:35 pm
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:11 am
evilcatfish wrote:
I'll say sensitivity is pretty good on the Black Rose but perhaps not top tier. I've been using mine deep water dragging football jigs and worms a bit this summer and its been sensitive enough for me.

I think the specified weight range is a little generous on the high end and couldn't see myself throwing anything much heavier than maybe 2oz on this rod. Most of the baits I've thrown have been in the .5 to 1.5 ounces range, though with a different reel than what I'm using (Steez A HLC) going down to say a .25oz t rig or something would be no problem
Thank you. I can't decide if the Degel or Lightning Strike is what I'm after. The listed ratings make zero sense, especially compared to the line ratings.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Apr 22, 2022 5:50 pm

Bump - Has anyone picked any Orions? I'm going to grab the ML Degel or ML+ Lightning Strike some time before summer hits.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:55 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Fri Apr 22, 2022 5:50 pm
Bump - Has anyone picked any Orions? I'm going to grab the ML Degel or ML+ Lightning Strike some time before summer hits.
This instagram account has been posting some stuff about the lightning strike.

https://instagram.com/finesse_anglers?i ... MyMTA2M2Y=

Jbc88
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Jbc88 » Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:43 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
I have the lighting strike model and I mostly have been using it for jerkbaits but there was a time where I did use it for bottom contact and its pretty sensitive to me. The ratings on the rod is pretty crazy for a ML and after a few times out with it, I do believe it's that one rod that can do it all.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:20 pm

Jbc88 wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:43 am
Hogsticker2 wrote:
I have the lighting strike model and I mostly have been using it for jerkbaits but there was a time where I did use it for bottom contact and its pretty sensitive to me. The ratings on the rod is pretty crazy for a ML and after a few times out with it, I do believe it's that one rod that can do it all.
Outstanding. I'd be using it for Flick Shakes and other finesse worms, wacky rigged. Is 1/8 oz plus small plastic too light for it? I wouldn't be throwing anything over 3/16 oz plus small plastic on it. Would I be better served with the Degel? I believe that the Lighting Strike was designed for both hard and soft baits, so I'm assuming it's a little softer in the tip section.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:21 pm

Houndfish wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:55 pm
Hogsticker2 wrote:
This instagram account has been posting some stuff about the lightning strike.

https://instagram.com/finesse_anglers?i ... MyMTA2M2Y=
Thank You

Mike son
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike son » Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:35 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Hog, did you end up picking up the Degel? It has my attention as a versatile river smallmouth rod.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:43 pm

Mike son wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:35 pm
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Hog, did you end up picking up the Degel? It has my attention as a versatile river smallmouth rod.
I actually snagged the Lightning Strike model. The Degel has too little power for what I intended. What type of presentations do you want it for? Any current in the areas of the river you intend to fish?

Mike son
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike son » Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:09 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:43 pm
Mike son wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:
I actually snagged the Lightning Strike model. The Degel has too little power for what I intended. What type of presentations do you want it for? Any current in the areas of the river you intend to fish?
1/16oz-1/8oz plus small plastic bottom contact and single+treble baits around 3/8-1/2oz total weight. The rod sounds lower end versatile. I fish a lot of current, I wade small to large rivers. I carry two rods at the moment, one strapped to a pack. Carrying two rods isn't a big issue and this is Tackletour so I'm always looking for something new :lol:

City17Banner
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by City17Banner » Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:36 am

Mike son wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:09 am
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Mike son wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:
1/16oz-1/8oz plus small plastic bottom contact and single+treble baits around 3/8-1/2oz total weight. The rod sounds lower end versatile. I fish a lot of current, I wade small to large rivers. I carry two rods at the moment, one strapped to a pack. Carrying two rods isn't a big issue and this is Tackletour so I'm always looking for something new :lol:
I will echo Hogsticker2's assertion that the Degel may be too light for your river fishing requirements. I have two of the EG Orion Lightning Strikes and they have been fantastic for presenting everything from the 3/16oz EG Super Sledge micro-jerkbait, the 1/4oz Megabass X-Nanahan jerkbaits, and even the larger 3/8oz LC Pointer 78s. In addition, it has no issues with presenting a 1/8oz Megabass Okashira Screwhead Jig with a 3" Spark Shad for fishing shallow weedy flats for smallmouth bass during the summertime as well.

I'd imagine that it would suit your requirements for a versatile river fishing ML+ casting rod better than many options that are out there as it has an ideal combination of great casting capability, excellent sensitivity, and plenty of power to move fish out of rocky wing dams, woody laydowns, and other types of riverine impediments.

Good luck with your rod search and please have a great day!
Last edited by City17Banner on Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
2022 Vexus VX20/Mercury 250 Pro XS | 2021 Vexus AVX 1980/Mercury 150 Pro XS

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:15 am

Mike son wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:09 am
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Mike son wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Yep, you will definitely want the Lightning Strike. It will handle your needs without issue. The Degel won't do half ounce moving baits very well, and it's good to have that additional reserve power in the current. Especially with hard fighting smallies over 15 inches, up to five pounds. It's more of a traditional USDM medium light imo.