New 2021 Daiwa 月下美人 “Alphas” Air TW PE Special

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
ibinsned
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Re: New 2021 Daiwa 月下美人 “Alphas” Air TW PE Special

Post by ibinsned » Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:20 pm

Out of curiosity - has anyone actually damaged one of these BF spools (OEM or aftermarket like Roro) in a way to where the reason for the damage can be attributed to monofilament line? Even with shrinkage etc. I have a hard time understanding how 50 yards of 3 or 4 lbs line can produce enough force to squash a round object. I would be worried much more about doing damage with 12 lbs PE line....

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:58 pm

I have used FC, mono and braid on bfs spools from daiwa, shimano, abu, roro, rays, amo/momo, ktf etc - relatively thick diameter. Pulled snags loose again and again. Never an issue… I guess damage may occur, but the risk is low IMO.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:42 pm

jvelth74 wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:57 am
So, in Gekkabijin is much greater Magforce brake?

In stream fishing ‘1’ was OK? And how does Gekkabijin brake force compare to Alphas Air? What is good Magforce setting for Alphas Air in stream fishing?

Anybody knows from where strong brake force comes in Gekkabijin?

Diameter of line stack is obviously a little smaller and therefore revolutions of spool is slightly more in similar cast, and spool speed increases a little brake force, but in my opinion this shouldn’t create big difference.

I think I saw in ‘The Reel Test’ video that inductor movement is shorter in Gekkabijin, correct? But inductors appears similar or near similar? Is Gekkebijin inductor more inside in the magnetic field when inductor is retracted? Or is there stronger magnets in Gekkabijin?

In my opinion it would be great if good Magforce setting would be in the middle of dial. That is always sad if good setting founds in the low or top end of dial, because then fine adjustment might be impossible or magnetic brake appears always a little insufficient.
I have to do more testing but, I think the increased braking is from the magnets on the Gekkabijin and not so much the spool. I used the Alphas AIR TW spool and saw a small difference. Back end of the cast was better with the Gekkabijin spool and the spool was controlled more overall but, not a real difference in distance.

I got my Roro spool in the Gekkabijin today stream fishing with 5lb VARIVAS Super Trout Advance Twitch Master. Seems a lot like it was in the Alphas AIR TW. The casting was a lot more "stream-like" than the Gekkabijin spool. You will see it's performance in action soon!!
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:20 pm

Thanks for reply Hobie! If it's up to magnets, hopefully magnets from Alphas Air are swappable to GekkaBijin! I think parts costs something $33 @ plat...

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:56 am

jvelth74 wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:20 pm
Thanks for reply Hobie! If it's up to magnets, hopefully magnets from Alphas Air are swappable to GekkaBijin! I think parts costs something $33 @ plat...
I am not exactly sure. I would have to look into part numbers and do more testing.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:08 am

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:56 am
jvelth74 wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:20 pm
I am not exactly sure. I would have to look into part numbers and do more testing.
Take you time - I appreciate effort that you have done and giving information so far and also nice BFS videos overall :)

I just realized that it's not end of world if there's too strong magnets, and whether those can be changed to weaker or not. Anyway there is available Ray's DIY inductor, which mass might be less than GekkaBijin std. inductor, and inductor can be modified by sanding it to narrower / lighter...

I looked Digitaka, only 286 € - I would have ordered, but Out of stock...
But in my opinion it's always nice to see that BFS reels are sold out of stock :D

trevor60
Angler
Angler

Post by trevor60 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:09 pm

Take 2
Wrote a lengthy review only to get timed out.

Thanks for the video HWK very informative
Dallenif nice fish tough way to end your fishing day

Received the reel on Oct 12th and got to fish it most of the weekend i was lake fishing in a boat.

Onto my review.
I posted earlier that I bought this reel for jerkbait fishing. I dismissed Daiwa recommendation for line size and lure weight.

I put this reel on a 6"11 M/F jerkbait rod with a lure rating 3/16oz (5g) to 1/2 (14g)

I spooled up Yo-zuri superbraid 20lb 23mm which has a PE around 2.0
I filled to the max depth approx. 70yards without over spooling; the line laid nice and tight, however on a couple of occasions when twitching the rod in the 3-9 o'clock position it did load the spool on the 3 o'clock side...next cast and the problem was gone.
Distance is subjective, I never was able to spool the reel but i did get down to the last several raps of line

The lure for the weekend was megabass 110 1/2oz (14g).

I was concerned the reel could not handle such a heavy lure and set the brake to max 20 for the initial casts, to my pleasant surprise the braking was strong and dialing in the spool showed its optimal performance set on 11. Setting the brakes lower to 10 started to produce a line loop between the spool and TWS guide and 9 was dicey.

I managed to catch 12 fish over the weekend the largest being a 2 lb pike and a 1 1/2 lb LMB, both took line the 7.5lb (3.5kg) drag is 1/2 the drag power of my normal jerkbait reels. The softer drag felt smooth with no jerky start up or stop / start during the run; the drag clicker buzzed nicely. I attribute the smoothness of the drag to the lower max rating for this 50 size reel...a little thumb pressure increased the drag as needed.

I have large hands and was able to cover the entire reel which required my middle finger to rest under the 8.5 decal. It was weird at first but once adjusted felt comfortable for the reminder of the weekend.

I did manage to catch weeds and, in those instances, pointing the rod tip at 10 o'clock and giving quick naps to break free the lure did not do any ill affects to the reel or spool

the only negative was the handle size, although jerkbait fishing does not require 100m handle to bring in slack line, the stock 80mm is a little too short and i think it (or I) could benefit from an 85mm or possible 90mm version.

I have ordered the 28mm DIY HLC spool the non-honeycomb version as insurance incase this spool can't manage larger fish and the bonus of spooling more line but it may not get here before the lakes turn to ice to test.

Edit. This combination is LITE the reel at 5.8oz 165g and my rod at 3.5 (99g) made jerkbait fishing a pleasure for hours at a time; and made my other combos feel heavy

Cheers
Trevor

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:40 pm

Thank you for the review Trevor.
Will have to try the yozuri braid :-)

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:42 am

Yeh, nicely wrote Trevor!

In my current BFS setups is 25 - 30 m of this line:
Spider.JPG
Spider.JPG (51.7 KiB) Viewed 3398 times
as a casting line. I put new line 30 m, and when it shortens to 25 m, I replace it. And usually in the same time line coating is worn out, and line is bad to cast especially when it rains.
As a backing I use a lot of thinner line, strength about half of my main line.

Hoping and believing that the GekkaBijin can accomondate my lines :)

No, I haven't oredered yet.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:17 am

trevor60 wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:09 pm
Take 2
Wrote a lengthy review only to get timed out.

Thanks for the video HWK very informative
Dallenif nice fish tough way to end your fishing day

Received the reel on Oct 12th and got to fish it most of the weekend i was lake fishing in a boat.

Onto my review.
I posted earlier that I bought this reel for jerkbait fishing. I dismissed Daiwa recommendation for line size and lure weight.

I put this reel on a 6"11 M/F jerkbait rod with a lure rating 3/16oz (5g) to 1/2 (14g)

I spooled up Yo-zuri superbraid 20lb 23mm which has a PE around 2.0
I filled to the max depth approx. 70yards without over spooling; the line laid nice and tight, however on a couple of occasions when twitching the rod in the 3-9 o'clock position it did load the spool on the 3 o'clock side...next cast and the problem was gone.
Distance is subjective, I never was able to spool the reel but i did get down to the last several raps of line

The lure for the weekend was megabass 110 1/2oz (14g).

I was concerned the reel could not handle such a heavy lure and set the brake to max 20 for the initial casts, to my pleasant surprise the braking was strong and dialing in the spool showed its optimal performance set on 11. Setting the brakes lower to 10 started to produce a line loop between the spool and TWS guide and 9 was dicey.

I managed to catch 12 fish over the weekend the largest being a 2 lb pike and a 1 1/2 lb LMB, both took line the 7.5lb (3.5kg) drag is 1/2 the drag power of my normal jerkbait reels. The softer drag felt smooth with no jerky start up or stop / start during the run; the drag clicker buzzed nicely. I attribute the smoothness of the drag to the lower max rating for this 50 size reel...a little thumb pressure increased the drag as needed.

I have large hands and was able to cover the entire reel which required my middle finger to rest under the 8.5 decal. It was weird at first but once adjusted felt comfortable for the reminder of the weekend.

I did manage to catch weeds and, in those instances, pointing the rod tip at 10 o'clock and giving quick naps to break free the lure did not do any ill affects to the reel or spool

the only negative was the handle size, although jerkbait fishing does not require 100m handle to bring in slack line, the stock 80mm is a little too short and i think it (or I) could benefit from an 85mm or possible 90mm version.

I have ordered the 28mm DIY HLC spool the non-honeycomb version as insurance incase this spool can't manage larger fish and the bonus of spooling more line but it may not get here before the lakes turn to ice to test.

Edit. This combination is LITE the reel at 5.8oz 165g and my rod at 3.5 (99g) made jerkbait fishing a pleasure for hours at a time; and made my other combos feel heavy

Cheers
Trevor
I like those Ray's long cast spools. Did you get the SV brake or fixed inductor LC? I have 3 in 34 mm. The fixed inductor 34mm short shaft for my 1016 reels and a wide 34mm long cast SV brake one for my old Tatula Type R as well as a 34mm shallow LC with SV brake for my Fuego CT. All 3 are different. The fixed inductor has a thin spool construction that makes it very light and both SV brake LC use a thick construction to the spool to make it heavier on purpose. What I have found is that if you make hard long bombing casts the heavier SV like spools with the stiff springs casts the furthest. If you toss baits more gently as a normal casting stroke then the light weight fixed inductor cast further. Chances are that if you have the reel handle on the left then you will probably prefer the fixed inductor.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:29 am

Jukka, if you ditch the backing, you can either get more braid on or keep the amount unchanged for an overall lighter spool+line.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:00 am

I have thin braid backing, not mono backing :D. it's just weight oriented setup: 0.13 mm Spiderwire can't put more than max 30 m without sacrificing BFS capabilities of reel / spool. But 0.06 mm Spiderwire weights so little that ~50 m of it doesn't have basically any effect to spool performance. 5 m of 0.06 m weights same amount than 1 m of 0.13 mm. And in practical I think my backings are still more lighter than equation tells, because those are old worn-out and coatings are off...

trevor60
Angler
Angler

Post by trevor60 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:42 am

LowRange wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:17 am
I like those Ray's long cast spools. Did you get the SV brake or fixed inductor LC? I have 3 in 34 mm. The fixed inductor 34mm short shaft for my 1016 reels and a wide 34mm long cast SV brake one for my old Tatula Type R as well as a 34mm shallow LC with SV brake for my Fuego CT. All 3 are different. The fixed inductor has a thin spool construction that makes it very light and both SV brake LC use a thick construction to the spool to make it heavier on purpose. What I have found is that if you make hard long bombing casts the heavier SV like spools with the stiff springs casts the furthest. If you toss baits more gently as a normal casting stroke then the light weight fixed inductor cast further. Chances are that if you have the reel handle on the left then you will probably prefer the fixed inductor.
I bought the SV spool, reading on here (thank you Tackletour) the differences between SV and fixed with the fixed inductor being used for lighter baits.
I bought the spool before I received the reel, anticipating that I wouldn't be able to use the reel for Jerkbaiting with 14g baits.

Trevor

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:49 am

I appreciate the other users giving their input of performance. The Gekkabijin AIR TW has been quite nice to me. I replaced the stock bearings with Roro Hybrid Ceramic Micro Bearings and also the spool with the Roro AX24 Thickened brake BFS spool.

After the tune, I really like the Gekkabijin for stream casting. I feel short range distance/accuracy was easier to achieve. The braking profile of the Roro leads to a faster, flatter casting trajectory and still has control. Stock spool will do better in open water.

Below is a video I did with the Gekkabijin tune I did. It is a casting compilation so, no talking but, still entertaining.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:08 am

trevor60 wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:42 am
LowRange wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:17 am
I bought the SV spool, reading on here (thank you Tackletour) the differences between SV and fixed with the fixed inductor being used for lighter baits.
I bought the spool before I received the reel, anticipating that I wouldn't be able to use the reel for Jerkbaiting with 14g baits.

Trevor
If the 28mm Ray's LC SV brake is like my Tatula Ray's LC then it is a heavier thick wall construction SV spool with a stiff spring. I've done some side by side comparision with a Fuego CT with a Tatula Elite spool which is considered one of the better distance spools out there right now and the Ray's LC beats it I'm raw distance with a jerkbait I have found. My old Tatula Ray's LC is even spooled with 12# flouro and the Fuego CT Elite long cast is spooled with 40# 8 carrier braid. Interestingly despite being and SV brake vs the Magforce Z of the Elite the Ray's is not as skip friendly as the Elite. The elite is also lighter and does better with lighter baits too. Go figure. This is the Ray's long cast for the old tatula/tatula 150. The Tatula CT rays LC spool is more of a deeper and heavier regular shallow Ray's spool.

From the pictures the 28mm Long Cast looks like my Tatula Long Cast spool in that it is not ported and is deep.
viewtopic.php?f=65&t=85993
Last edited by LowRange on Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.