New 2021 Daiwa 月下美人 “Alphas” Air TW PE Special

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: New 2021 Daiwa 月下美人 “Alphas” Air TW PE Special

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:59 pm

ss30378 wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:09 pm
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:18 pm
50 meters, braid only. Daiwa loves the color red. I wonder how other 28mm spools might play in this reel.
But this new spool is designed like the brenious so it looks like it will have a narrow stroke levelwind. You would probably have to swap that out to use the other 28mm spools.
Most likely. And we all know that same diameter spools don't always run smoothly in every accommodating reel.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:51 am

Level wind dimensions (Alphas Air vs. Alphas TW PE) seems similar when comparing screenshots in Autocad. But worm gear can't be seen in screenshots. If there is difference in Level wind travel, it can be made by different worm gear...

I comparised dimensions of spools of Alphas Air vs. Alphas TW PE by screenshots in Autocad. Both are D28 mm spools. Diameter of spool bottom seems ~22 mm in TW PE and in Air it seems ~23 mm. Width of line stack is in TW PE ~15 mm and in Air it's ~19 mm. Seems there's ~8% bigger volume in Air.
Air vs. PE.JPG
Air vs. PE.JPG (29.45 KiB) Viewed 7524 times
Difference of spool volumes is smaller than I thought. But in Daiwa Japan site there is picture of spooled line in TW PE. IT's not spooled evenly. It looks like there is more line in the sides and less in the middle. => Less line volume. And Standard Alphas Air level wind? In this picture is shown how line spools and how near edge of reel frame level wind goes:

Air TW PE price in Japan site is 45,400 yen
ALPHAS SV TW 800 price in same site is 32,300 yen
In JapanTackle ALPHAS SV TW 800 price is $225.00

=> Air TW PE might be sold at ~$316?

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:02 am

Now that is what a modern Japanese fishing reel should look like.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:20 am

Yes! I like the look of it very much!
Spool weight vs. Alphas Air spool weight interests me a lot.
And also that will other 28 mm spools fit without issues.
And I'm interested in to see what the retail price actually will be.

Pastrmka
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Pastrmka » Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:10 am

I also like the look compared to my alphas air tw, mainly red accent pieces on adjuster and handle base versus black plastic. So main changes are cosmetic differences, new spool, 12 bearings vs 6, drag clicker, spring with felt washer at the spool bearing (silent tune?), PE line only, gear ratio 8.5 vs 8.6 and 5 grams heavier than current alphas

dennis_rf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dennis_rf » Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:59 pm

Hold on a second. Super narrow spool. Made for very thin braid. And a T-Wing? With that spool and that intended line you could use a needle hole and wouldn’t compromise casting distance :D

I mean I see how they wouldn’t come out with yet another frame for a tiny niche application, but doesn’t it look super weird having so much reel around such a tiny spool? The proportions seem so off.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:00 am

In my opinion narrowed TW PE Alphas (without Breniuous -style spool) wouldn't look that bad...:
Narrowed TW PE.JPG
Narrowed TW PE.JPG (39.19 KiB) Viewed 7393 times

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:35 am

jvelth74 wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:00 am
In my opinion narrowed TW PE Alphas (without Breniuous -style spool) wouldn't look that bad...:
Narrowed TW PE.JPG
A lot easier for Daiwa to adapt changes to the current Alphas frame versus doing a new design. That would be more $$$
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:06 am

Yes, sure it is... But pictures are easy to modify, so I just checked what narrower TW PE might look like :-)

Jbc88
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Jbc88 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:37 am

jvelth74 wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:51 am
Level wind dimensions (Alphas Air vs. Alphas TW PE) seems similar when comparing screenshots in Autocad. But worm gear can't be seen in screenshots. If there is difference in Level wind travel, it can be made by different worm gear...

I comparised dimensions of spools of Alphas Air vs. Alphas TW PE by screenshots in Autocad. Both are D28 mm spools. Diameter of spool bottom seems ~22 mm in TW PE and in Air it seems ~23 mm. Width of line stack is in TW PE ~15 mm and in Air it's ~19 mm. Seems there's ~8% bigger volume in Air.

Air vs. PE.JPG

Difference of spool volumes is smaller than I thought. But in Daiwa Japan site there is picture of spooled line in TW PE. IT's not spooled evenly. It looks like there is more line in the sides and less in the middle. => Less line volume. And Standard Alphas Air level wind? In this picture is shown how line spools and how near edge of reel frame level wind goes:

Air TW PE price in Japan site is 45,400 yen
ALPHAS SV TW 800 price in same site is 32,300 yen
In JapanTackle ALPHAS SV TW 800 price is $225.00

=> Air TW PE might be sold at ~$316?
I was quoted $360 with shipping included

cjbaguio
Angler
Angler

Post by cjbaguio » Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:40 pm

Got my order in line. Will be using mine for its the purpose built targets of aji and mebaru-like species in the salt. I cringe that some folks will be using this for... bass or trout or the sort lol, but to each their own. AATW has been great but I always felt it kind of fell short as a saltwater reel. I use PE0.3~PE0.4 and it always urked me that thin PE would never evenly spool up to the edges of the AATW spool. The new Gekkabijin's (actually translates to the queen of the night cactus flower) narrow spool will seem to exquisitely manage thin PE way better than the AATW. Moreover, the assurance I can run a little more length of PE is a major plus. I have always kept the AATW spooled to Daiwa's 限界巻糸量 (Genkaimakiitoryou) or max line capacity of 45 meters. I try to be nice and let owners know to try not to spool over Daiwa's recommendation, without being a total know-it-all snob lol. Its written on the side of the box and in the instructions manual. But back to the Gekka, knowing I can run up to 100 meters of braid is great. I wont go near that, perhaps only 50m-60m. Per Daiwa's new caveats, as long as you do not spool beyond the ridge of the spool, and not over 100m of line (regardless of line diameter because wounded pressure is what matters) then you should be good. Lastly, Daiwa also stated to not use flourocarbon or ester because it can damage the spool. The spool is precisely setup for PE hence the name sake. You risk damaging the spool that way. Maybe filaments may spool beyond the line groove causing unnecessary pressure distribution to the wrong areas of the spool? We will only know once we get the reel. But for now, if you plan to use flouro/ester/mono - stick to the AATW. I am so eager to get this reel - It is precisely the reel us saltwater bait finesse users need. cheers! :)

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:56 am

Thanks for info cjbaguio!

I think or hope risk of damaging spool with fluoro or ester is because it's thin walled spool and fluoro / ester could be spooled too tightly, and when fished line is wet and when it dries, it will be shorten / shrinked and light spool can be deformed / chrushed.

I'm thinking to order this reel, and probably I will buy it instead of Alphas Air, but only if other 28 mm spools will fit. By regardless of that line capacity probably is OK to me. Yes, I'm looking for Trout reel :-) I have less than 50 m of fishing line, but I have 50 m of thin backing line, just for in case... But I'm not total pervert. Sometimes I bottom jig Perches from a sea and therefore I'm certified to buy this Air TW PE Special :D

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:59 am

Its funny how for years Daiwa was telling us not to use braid on their bfs spools, but now they're just telling us the opposite :laugh1:

I have always used whichever one i wanted, and never had any issues.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:02 am

SSS wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:59 am
Its funny how for years Daiwa was telling us not to use braid on their bfs spools, but now they're just telling us the opposite :laugh1:

I have always used whichever one i wanted, and never had any issues.
X2

cjbaguio
Angler
Angler

Post by cjbaguio » Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:59 am

jvelth74 wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:56 am
Thanks for info cjbaguio!

I think or hope risk of damaging spool with fluoro or ester is because it's thin walled spool and fluoro / ester could be spooled too tightly, and when fished line is wet and when it dries, it will be shorten / shrinked and light spool can be deformed / chrushed.

I'm thinking to order this reel, and probably I will buy it instead of Alphas Air, but only if other 28 mm spools will fit. By regardless of that line capacity probably is OK to me. Yes, I'm looking for Trout reel :-) I have less than 50 m of fishing line, but I have 50 m of thin backing line, just for in case... But I'm not total pervert. Sometimes I bottom jig Perches from a sea and therefore I'm certified to buy this Air TW PE Special :D

Interesting way of looking at it! Definitely a possibility on why Daiwa says to not spool filaments. September/October just needs to hurry up so we can know for sure haha.

I kinda take back what I said about not using the reel for what it was designed for. I do use a lot of bass reels in the salt LOL.