New 2021 Daiwa 月下美人 “Alphas” Air TW PE Special

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: New 2021 Daiwa 月下美人 “Alphas” Air TW PE Special

Post by jvelth74 » Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:35 am

My Roro AX24 Red&Standard arrived. Spooled 30 m / 0.20 mm / 3,6 kg / 8 lbs FC to it, because it's winter in here now... Fished with it for two short days. It is very good spool! I found Magforce ' 8 ' was good setting for casting 5 g bottom jig, in a severe conditions, I don't want puzzle. Or Magforce ' 10 ' for sure. Standard inductor in Roro is nice, because brake force is that low that it allows to fine tune Magforce. Still there is sufficient brake force in my opinion. This might become my favorite stream fishing spool. Right now hard to say because testing conditions are so severe:

(During shooting this video I didn't yet has Roro. It's Chamelleon spool in there.)

Freddie
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Freddie » Fri Dec 24, 2021 7:24 pm

jvelth74 wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:35 am
My Roro AX24 Red&Standard arrived. Spooled 30 m / 0.20 mm / 3,6 kg / 8 lbs FC to it, because it's winter in here now... Fished with it for two short days. It is very good spool! I found Magforce ' 8 ' was good setting for casting 5 g bottom jig, in a severe conditions, I don't want puzzle. Or Magforce ' 10 ' for sure. Standard inductor in Roro is nice, because brake force is that low that it allows to fine tune Magforce. Still there is sufficient brake force in my opinion. This might become my favorite stream fishing spool. Right now hard to say because testing conditions are so severe:

(During shooting this video I didn't yet has Roro. It's Chamelleon spool in there.)
Nice! I’m sure you will enjoy the AX24 as much as I do. I’m discovering that I much prefer the Standard over the Thicken version…at least for the lighter baits like <1.5 g. It feels like the Standard version is more easily adjusted to the best Magforce setting. IMO

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Sat Dec 25, 2021 4:34 am

Yes ... It allows to dial Magforce ~2x stronger than Original spool so it allows to adjust Magforce ~2x more precisely. And that's very good, if person likes to adjust Magforce presisely :)

Video of testing AX 24. I like it, and I like it a lot:

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:28 pm

If I want a reel to stick on a Dobyns 74 UL, load with 6lb braid, and use to bomb 1/8 oz spoons for white perch in tidal rivers, this is the reel for me, correct?

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:02 pm

Houndfish wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:28 pm
If I want a reel to stick on a Dobyns 74 UL, load with 6lb braid, and use to bomb 1/8 oz spoons for white perch in tidal rivers, this is the reel for me, correct?
It would be a very good choice.

I use it and the regular Alphas Air TW for similar applications, and while brakes are different you will not go wrong with either IMO.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:34 am

Dalleinf wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:02 pm
Houndfish wrote:
It would be a very good choice.

I use it and the regular Alphas Air TW for similar applications, and while brakes are different you will not go wrong with either IMO.
I have been farting around trying to get to a happy place with an UL casting combo for a few years now am ready to spend the money for something that just works. I have a few Pixies/spools and have tried a ton of combinations and have never found anything that will let me do what I want. I have been using a Pixy/DIY Spool w/ 6lb J-Braid this winter and it works fine for a while but after 1-4 dozen casts the line gets loose on the spool and it all goes to hell. It works fine when I only load 50-75y of line on so I think I am ready for a dedicated reel.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:53 am

What's the point of this weird spool with the shelves on either side? Does it mitigate line getting stuck between the spool and frame?

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:16 am

My opinion of this 'Brenious' style spool is to optimize spool effective width for long casting in bottom jigging at sea. Make line side movement smaller => less drag in line guide. Another possibility to do that would be to use spacers or create narrower body. Obviously this style spool was cheapest. And now all Air spools will fit to all current Air reels :) Also this style makes spool strong, as long as line is properly winded.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:23 pm

Houndfish wrote:
Yes!!! I have had great results using the Dobyns/Gekkabijin. Bomb casts and versatile enough for small pond bass as well as bigger fish. Casts a wide variety of lures with this setup and the fine line of control/fun is perfect. Does well for walleye too.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:47 am

BFSmidwest wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:13 pm
I use chameleon spool as well. The spring it comes with is weaker than stock daiwa springs. Same time the inductor don't slide as well. So weaker spring = faster braking. What I did to mine that improves is take out the spring and stretch it then put it back it. It will increase more spring tension preventing fast braking = improve casting.
Yesterday I cast too long with my GekkaBïjin, and found new underwater tree. Only thin backing was left. So I changed to spare spool, Chamellon.

I have earlier changed to it Ray's inductor:

There was little different angle in inductor ramp, so I machined Ray's ramp to fit to Chamelleon spool.

I haven't fished much with this Chamelleon spool, just tested it works. Shortly I casted it with NTY Windshadow: viewtopic.php?f=65&t=88258 and didn't like it too much, but this slow fully parabolic rod is best with fixed inductor anyway.

But now was time to test Chamelleon with Kuying Freestyle Walker UL: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=84536 . This Chamelleon spool with Ray's inductor casts lures very good! In casting distance there was actually no difference to GekkaBijin std. spool! But other differences there is. With Chamelleon (with Ray's inductor) Magforce can be turned to lower setting. And which is fun, this Chamelleon spool allows to cast with controlled overrun. (With GekkaBijin std. spool overrun leads to backlash.) Longest casts with Chamelleon (with Ray's inductor) are higher trajectory than GekkaBijin std. spool. Chamelleon spool has some sound and vibrations, so it's not the highest quality spool.