Evergreen SFX Cougar Elite 7GT

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
i_am_R2
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Evergreen SFX Cougar Elite 7GT

Post by i_am_R2 » Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:31 pm

I don't have the GT but I did pick up the RS version a couple of months ago based on the rod's description as a power baitfinesse/universal smallish hardbait rod. I have only had the chance to fish this once for a couple of hours however I will try my best to describe it based on that. For starters, like others mentioned about Evergreen, it has that feeling of wanting to be fished hard which I enjoy and the sensitivity as always is top notch in my hands.

In regards to the spineless blank, this rod definitely has a unique feel and is actually pretty trippy at first. Not sure if it is due to the actual lack of spine or the blank's materials/composition but perhaps the best way to describe it is it has this sensation of elasticity or lack of structure if that makes any sense. I haven't noticed until now that with other rods, when I load up for a cast I can feel a "stop" or sort of a point where it kind of wants to "roll over" or bend in a certain direction. With the Cougar its not there and loads up/casts in any direction. Of course I wasn't used to this so in the first couple of casts I made some weird sideway casts on accident because of the way the rod can load haha. Its almost like you are throwing the bait with your arm. For baits I tied on an X-80 jr and was able to cast it ok (the wind was howling so it was blowing the bait all over the place) so I think the lower end is pretty accurate. I had a Met DC on the rod for this test run (which feels about spot on) but might try something else next time to better test the low end. Since it was so windy I gave up on that and tied on a 1/2 oz red eye shad and was able to launch it effortlessly. The rod loads really smoothly without any feeling of resistance which took a minute to get used to also. I didn't test the upper limits of the rod's weight range. Also tried a light trig and casted around some light vegetation and got it caught up a few times to test its power because I never catch anything lol. I would say the rod has a regular taper which bends about halfway into the blank, and has some decent power once you get into its backbone. I have to use the rod more but from what I experienced in that short outing would say techniques suited for the rod are small/medium jerkbaits and cranks, dropshot/power shotting, lightwire trigs/finesse jigs (though you may need to jack them on the hookset), light wire open hook presentations (swimbaits, small spinnerbaits, stealth blade).

Some last notes, the blank on the butt end is thicker than some other EG rods which is likely where the weight is and it uses a bigger ECS seat which is shorter lengthwise, uses a longer reel seat hood, and feels a little thicker/taller. As others have mentioned as well about EG rods, despite stated rod weights the rod feels very light and balanced in hand without feeling artificially weighted.

Sorry for so many words and hope this helps.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:52 pm

i_am_R2 wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:31 pm
I don't have the GT but I did pick up the RS version a couple of months ago based on the rod's description as a power baitfinesse/universal smallish hardbait rod. I have only had the chance to fish this once for a couple of hours however I will try my best to describe it based on that. For starters, like others mentioned about Evergreen, it has that feeling of wanting to be fished hard which I enjoy and the sensitivity as always is top notch in my hands.

In regards to the spineless blank, this rod definitely has a unique feel and is actually pretty trippy at first. Not sure if it is due to the actual lack of spine or the blank's materials/composition but perhaps the best way to describe it is it has this sensation of elasticity or lack of structure if that makes any sense. I haven't noticed until now that with other rods, when I load up for a cast I can feel a "stop" or sort of a point where it kind of wants to "roll over" or bend in a certain direction. With the Cougar its not there and loads up/casts in any direction. Of course I wasn't used to this so in the first couple of casts I made some weird sideway casts on accident because of the way the rod can load haha. Its almost like you are throwing the bait with your arm. For baits I tied on an X-80 jr and was able to cast it ok (the wind was howling so it was blowing the bait all over the place) so I think the lower end is pretty accurate. I had a Met DC on the rod for this test run (which feels about spot on) but might try something else next time to better test the low end. Since it was so windy I gave up on that and tied on a 1/2 oz red eye shad and was able to launch it effortlessly. The rod loads really smoothly without any feeling of resistance which took a minute to get used to also. I didn't test the upper limits of the rod's weight range. Also tried a light trig and casted around some light vegetation and got it caught up a few times to test its power because I never catch anything lol. I would say the rod has a regular taper which bends about halfway into the blank, and has some decent power once you get into its backbone. I have to use the rod more but from what I experienced in that short outing would say techniques suited for the rod are small/medium jerkbaits and cranks, dropshot/power shotting, lightwire trigs/finesse jigs (though you may need to jack them on the hookset), light wire open hook presentations (swimbaits, small spinnerbaits, stealth blade).

Some last notes, the blank on the butt end is thicker than some other EG rods which is likely where the weight is and it uses a bigger ECS seat which is shorter lengthwise, uses a longer reel seat hood, and feels a little thicker/taller. As others have mentioned as well about EG rods, despite stated rod weights the rod feels very light and balanced in hand without feeling artificially weighted.

Thank you for the response. These rods certainly seem interesting.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:53 pm

Polkfish1 wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:19 pm
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:00 pm
dennis_rf wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:20 am
I handled the latest 610 medium Adrena just recently - for it‘s power/stiffness it felt like floating off my hand. Quite a lasting impression. The next day I played around with a friends Stallion and Super Cougar. Not floaty in the tip at all but that said feeling of rigidity
The new generation Adrenas are quite impressive imo. Light with excellent sensitivity and feedback. Unfortunately, I sold both of mine. There is zero tact from the handle - much too slippery. I actually prefer that light feeling from a rod. Another example would be the Point Blank rod blanks. They have this sort of hollow feel that really increases the strength and longevity of vibration and sensation. Is this not something I'm going to experience with Evergreen? I'm familiar with this robust type of feel you guys are relating to the Evergreen sticks. This is how I would describe my Daiwa Heartland, but it's not necessarily what I prefer.
I only have experience with one kaleido inspirare rod, the grand cobra rs. It transmits ‘electric’ feeling vibrations as advertised via the really solid cork. The blank is really sensitive and that cork transmits vibration seemingly well. I’ve had my eye on the rapid gunner since it came out as that one is supposed to be one of the most electric of the bunch. It’s a wish list rod.

I also sold my adrena, but the difference in sensitivity between it and the grand cobra was noticeable when I had both; there is no subjectivity when comparing the feeling between the two in my opinion. The inspirare is superior despite the carbon hollow grip on the adrena. It does not make up.

I’ve not yet had a chance to fish a heartland, but another rod I’d compare the inspirare rods related to robustness are Tulala rods. They give a sense of confidence, like you could chop wood. I’d also say the grand cobra is not a burden to fish given said rigid feeling. It’s quite agile and responsive.
Sounds pretty awesome.

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:36 am

i_am_R2 wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:31 pm

Thanks for your review. From Evergreens description of baits to use this rod for it seemed like more of a versatile rod to throw spinnerbaits and smaller jigs with. Your description and using it for smaller hard bait rod makes more sense having the spineless tip. Sounds like a cool rod.

amso4
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by amso4 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:32 pm

For those who have this rod, how is the bottom contact sensitive as compared to a NRX 853 or even an 893? I am looking to get a high end JDM rod for ML/M bottom contact and I am trying to figure out if this is the one? I am also on the look out for M or MH. I want to get something that is noticeably better and different than NRX.

I know you guys who have had a ton of experience and I am just starting down the non-NRX road. I hope to get some insights.

jprice92
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jprice92 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:31 pm

amso4 wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:32 pm
For those who have this rod, how is the bottom contact sensitive as compared to a NRX 853 or even an 893? I am looking to get a high end JDM rod for ML/M bottom contact and I am trying to figure out if this is the one? I am also on the look out for M or MH. I want to get something that is noticeably better and different than NRX.

I know you guys who have had a ton of experience and I am just starting down the non-NRX road. I hope to get some insights.
I’d recommend the Black Raven Extreme RS, I was in your same position a couple months ago and ordered the black raven based on feedback from here. I came from an nrx 893c and the evergreen seems to be more sensitive but I wouldn’t say its super noticeable, I’m not sure there is rod out there that is noticeably more sensitive than the nrx. The build quality, balance and looks far surpass the NRX in my opinion. I’ve used it for senkos all the way to 3/8 ounce jigs, It’s a much shorter rod though but that hasn’t bothered me, I don’t bomb cast those baits anyway. It’s alot of fun to fish but the only problem is now I want more kaleido rods 🤣

amso4
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by amso4 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:11 pm

I saw that rod and I thought it would be too short. That is why I thought the Cougar Elite may be better. What am I missing. Is the 6'6" blank special or better balanced. Don't get me wrong, I will probably order one based on all the glowing reviews.
Curious why everybody holds this rod is such high regard.

jprice92
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jprice92 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:30 pm

amso4 wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:11 pm
I saw that rod and I thought it would be too short. That is why I thought the Cougar Elite may be better. What am I missing. Is the 6'6" blank special or better balanced. Don't get me wrong, I will probably order one based on all the glowing reviews.
Curious why everybody holds this rod is such high regard.
I was a little apprehensive about the length as well but it hasn’t been an issue for how I fish with it. Maybe some other guys will chime in that own multiple evergreen rods, I only have experience with the black raven. The balance is dead on the front of the reel with the 20 metanium and the rod is very sensitive. I wouldn’t use it for throwing into heavy cover but for lighter jigs and finesse plastics it’s an amazing rod and I wouldn’t go back to nrx if that helps at all.

amso4
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by amso4 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:40 pm

Thanks for the information. I hope that other folks have more evergreens can clarify if its the Black Raven thats so special or the longer Cougar Elite is as special.

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:45 pm

amso4 wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:40 pm
Thanks for the information. I hope that other folks have more evergreens can clarify if its the Black Raven thats so special or the longer Cougar Elite is as special.
I don’t have a Cougar Elite, but there’s a review in German on YouTube. You can do closed caption translate for English subtitles. The tip looks pretty soft and the rod has a regular fast taper. I’m not sure if I’d use it for bottom contact presentations based on how the taper looked. Maybe more of a single hook moving bait rod like 1/4-3/8 spinnerbaits and 3.8 Keitech rod.

Cranky
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Cranky » Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:03 am

ML-MH bottom contact it’s definitely the Black Raven Extreme. MH-XH look at the Rapid Gunner. That’s what those rods are designed for and both are works of art that you can fish with. If you’re hung up on certain lengths, get away from Evergreen. They design specific rods and don’t care if you want it an inch or two shorter or longer (like USDM rod makers obsess over). You just get what you get.

The Cougar Elite was designed as more of a high end moving bait rod. From the Evergreen Cougar Elite page: “ Bladed jigs, spinner baits, crankbaits, swimbaits, shads, and rubber jigs, various worm rigs, wild finesse, and even poppers to large topwater plugs”

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:39 am

I’ve had a few of the older JDM EG rods. I’ve kept 2. The “Pantera” and the “Spin Cobra”. I’ve sold 2 or 3, the “Dengeki - Gunning Shaft” and a fiberglass crankbait rod (will try and find documentation).
I liked the “Dengeki” but I liked my original or second gen G-Ax more.

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:55 am

Cranky wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:03 am
ML-MH bottom contact it’s definitely the Black Raven Extreme. MH-XH look at the Rapid Gunner. That’s what those rods are designed for and both are works of art that you can fish with. If you’re hung up on certain lengths, get away from Evergreen. They design specific rods and don’t care if you want it an inch or two shorter or longer (like USDM rod makers obsess over). You just get what you get.

The Cougar Elite was designed as more of a high end moving bait rod. From the Evergreen Cougar Elite page: “ Bladed jigs, spinner baits, crankbaits, swimbaits, shads, and rubber jigs, various worm rigs, wild finesse, and even poppers to large topwater plugs”
I agree with this. It seems like the Cougar Elite and Dire Wolf are the moving bait rods, and the Black Raven and Rapid Gunner are the bottom contact rods. Add in a medium power spinning rod and you would have almost all bass techniques covered outside of the big swimbait/glidebait niche.

Cranky
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Cranky » Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:58 am

In 2022 spinning rods (typical Japan UL and L power) and “Giant Dire Wolf 611XXX” are coming too. 8-)

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:45 am

Cranky wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:58 am
In 2022 spinning rods (typical Japan UL and L power) and “Giant Dire Wolf 611XXX” are coming too. 8-)
I saw the Giant Dire Wolf, but I'm not sure how much demand there will be for a short big bait rod in the US. Most guys are fishing open water where longer casts are needed whereas it seems like in Japan that they are bank fishing canals.

Do you have links for the spinning rods? I haven't seen anything on them.