new antares DC

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
russ57
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

new antares DC

Post by russ57 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:15 pm

Does anyone have expereince with this? I did not realize it had been redone until I saw a video from the reel test from jan. Not sure why I never see anyone talking about it.

https://www.digitaka.com/items/5/4/2/AN ... +%28New%29

tditox4
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: new antares DC

Post by tditox4 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:10 pm

sold mine. Not a fan of that dc system.

Dan B
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dan B » Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:08 am

russ57 wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:15 pm
Does anyone have expereince with this? I did not realize it had been redone until I saw a video from the reel test from jan. Not sure why I never see anyone talking about it.

https://www.digitaka.com/items/5/4/2/AN ... +%28New%29
You don't see a lot of people talking about it because of the price and it is still relatively new.
I personally love mine. But it can become a love hate relationship to find the right rod for it. The reel seat matters, some rods it's great on, others you want to through it in the lake. I have mine on a Conquest 843c and it's an absolute joy to fish, and a very versatile combo setup.

Dan B
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dan B » Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:15 am

One extra tid bit of info... only get it if you specifically want the 4x8 DC system. If you just want the best reel Shimano or any other brand makes, then get the Antares 19 JDM and save money by ordering from a well-known japan ebay sellers.

I have all kinds of Steez models, Metanium DCs, Aldebarans, one Antares DC (because one is enough, lol), and many other reels... absolutely nothing is as refined or as smooth as an Antares A, not even the 2021 DC version. The only reel that can compete is a Shimano Calcutta Conquest round reel and then you loose the comfortable palming. The Antares DC is a chunk of a reel... nothing ridiculous, but noticeable.

This right here is the bee's knees:

russ57
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by russ57 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:05 am

Dan B wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:15 am
One extra tid bit of info... only get it if you specifically want the 4x8 DC system. If you just want the best reel Shimano or any other brand makes, then get the Antares 19 JDM and save money by ordering from a well-known japan ebay sellers.

I have all kinds of Steez models, Metanium DCs, Aldebarans, one Antares DC (because one is enough, lol), and many other reels... absolutely nothing is as refined or as smooth as an Antares A, not even the 2021 DC version. The only reel that can compete is a Shimano Calcutta Conquest round reel and then you loose the comfortable palming. The Antares DC is a chunk of a reel... nothing ridiculous, but noticeable.

This right here is the bee's knees:
Do you think the antares is better than the metanium

Dan B
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dan B » Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:19 am

russ57 wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:05 am
Do you think the antares is better than the metanium
It's not even close. I've used every Metanium model (nonDC and DC) since 2013, as well as every DC reel from the Exsence to the Antares DCs, there isn't a reel out there that is as good as the Antares A.... period. None of my Steezs either. The thing is on another level. I have the 21 Antares DC and the Antares A 19 both in the HG model... the torque and ease of reeling + smoothness difference is even noticable between those models.

Do yourself a favor and order the Antares A, and then order any 90-95mm carbon fiber reel handle... spoolspeed website is a good option because they only run about $25-ish for a 95mm and the owner is a really good guy. You can't really find the ZPI handles anymore and they are crazy expensive anyways. Then you can send me a thank you card later

I'm running my Antares A on a 2021 Steez AGS 7'3 MH Utility Player and it's an absolute dream setup.

Treat yourself

Shadowcaster1969
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Shadowcaster1969 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:59 am

I think the 21 Antares DC is a vast improvement over the 18 Antares DC MD. Better durability, smoother and improved DC controller.

Dan B
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dan B » Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:41 am

Shadowcaster1969 wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:59 am
I think the 21 Antares DC is a vast improvement over the 18 Antares DC MD. Better durability, smoother and improved DC controller.
Let's not forget the #1 change... the size of the reel. It's definitely the most comfortable Antares DC they have made.
I fish it alot, but tbh, I don't know if I would have bought it over another Antares A if I was able to fish with it before hand... With that said it is still a joy to fish.
Last edited by Dan B on Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:10 pm

Dan B wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:41 am
Shadowcaster1969 wrote:
Let's not forget the #1 change... the size of the reel. It's definitely the most comfortable Antares DC they have made.
I fish it alot, but tbh, I don't know if I would have bought it over another Antares A if I was able to fish with it before handle... With that said it is still a joy to fish.
How do you like the 2021 DC after having used it for a while?

I am still running the Antarss DC MD on one of my glidebait combos, but i am a bit disappointed in its performance. Its super geary after not even fought many fish.

Is the 2021 Antares DC significantly improved in this regard.

And thanks for the tip with the spool speed website. Great handle for the price and looks nice on my Antares A as well! :-)

Dan B
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dan B » Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:57 am

freelancer27 wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:10 pm
How do you like the 2021 DC after having used it for a while?

I am still running the Antares DC MD on one of my glidebait combos, but i am a bit disappointed in its performance. Its super geary after not even fought many fish.

Is the 2021 Antares DC significantly improved in this regard.

And thanks for the tip with the spool speed website. Great handle for the price and looks nice on my Antares A as well! :-)
Ya luckily I had one more ZPI handle left over to put it on my Antares A, but since you can't find those anymore the spoolspeed is great especially for the price.

As far as the Antares DC goes, I can't tell you specifically long term against the MD XG. I've used a buddies MD, but it definitely wasn't "geary". I will tell you size difference is absolutely noticeable lol. Antares DC is still bulky as far as low profile reels go, but not compared to the size of the MD or the Antares DC 16

You don't hear many people say that a Antares is geary. I would strip it and inspect the teeth because if I had to guess it isn't the teeth, but something in one of the gears that either need cleared or replaced... probably one of the ones on the pinion gear. You never know though... don't those have brass gears too?

Dan B
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dan B » Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:17 am

freelancer27 wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:10 pm
Free, maybe this will help. Took some pics next to other reels, just what I had on my front deck. Let me know if you want something else close up, like a side view or whatever...

Left to Right: Aldebaran 31, Antares A, Antares DC 21, Steez A, Metanium DC, Zillion SV 21

Dan B
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dan B » Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:19 am

It's the height that the Antares DC sits off the reel seat that you notice more than the shape of the reel itself...

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:23 pm

Thanks Dan, appreciate you taking the time to take these pics! Great info! :)

I ABSOLUTELY do not need the 2021 DC, but I am playing with the idea of getting one in the not so distant future. Would need then a new rod to pair it with, which I also ABSOLUTELY do not need.

But you know how it is... :mrgreen:

Shadowcaster1969
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Shadowcaster1969 » Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:18 pm

Dan B wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:41 am
Shadowcaster1969 wrote:
I fish it alot, but tbh, I don't know if I would have bought it over another Antares A if I was able to fish with it before handle... With that said it is still a joy to fish.
I'll have to agree with you on the Antares A, except that I fish 70% in the salt and the Antares A is not desiged and built with salt-compatible components... :(