Which Model Luvias Airity

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Firstoutfisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Which Model Luvias Airity

Post by Firstoutfisher » Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:21 pm

So, I decided I am finally going to bite the bullet and pick up a daiwa luvias airity. It's going to be paired with an orochi XX ronin. Used primarily for small jerkbaits and topwater and small finesse paddle tails. Maybe some weightless or light bottom contact. Plan on running 10 lb braid to fluro leader. Having a hard time deciding which model of luvias airity to get.

Currently looking at the:

lt2500-XH
and
FC LT2500S-XH-QD

The FC is 15g lighter but obviously shallow spool so less line capacity. Other than that I don't see any drawback and I am interested in the quick drag. Is there any reason why I should get the lt2500 over the FC2500s?

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Which Model Luvias Airity

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:41 am

The only difference I could find on Digitaka was the price. I did not even see the weight difference, the spec sheet they show at the end of the pictures of the reel lists both models as 155 grams. Also lists both reel capacities at 150m of 4lb...

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:55 am

Firstoutfisher wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:21 pm
So, I decided I am finally going to bite the bullet and pick up a daiwa luvias airity. It's going to be paired with an orochi XX ronin. Used primarily for small jerkbaits and topwater and small finesse paddle tails. Maybe some weightless or light bottom contact. Plan on running 10 lb braid to fluro leader. Having a hard time deciding which model of luvias airity to get.

Currently looking at the:

lt2500-XH
and
FC LT2500S-XH-QD

The FC is 15g lighter but obviously shallow spool so less line capacity. Other than that I don't see any drawback and I am interested in the quick drag. Is there any reason why I should get the lt2500 over the FC2500s?
FC = Finesse Custom - they dropped the magseal in the line roller so if you're reeling on slack line or typically retrieving i-motion baits with virtually no water resistance, the line roller will still...roll. The magsealed line rollers do not rotate with very light tension. I think the weight reduction also comes from an alum shaft vs SS, and maybe a lighter handle? In short go FC if you're planning on very finess-y stuff, otherwise the regular LT might be built a bit more robust.

One thing I would recommend esp for your applications is a slower retrieve ratio. That's pretty much the only reason I buy JDM over USDM for spinning reels - slow rolling small swimbaits and i-motion stuff there's a limit to how slow I can turn the handle and not go insane haha. As a bonus the slower ratio gears should, in theory, stay smoother longer.

mrpao
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mrpao » Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:51 am

I agree.
I prefer the lower gear ratios. Less resistance to spin the handle.
Not sure why we mainly get high gear ratio reels here only.
Japan has all the lower gear ratio reels.
I have the FC2500S and it's been a great reel for far.

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:56 pm

mrpao wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:51 am
I agree.
I prefer the lower gear ratios. Less resistance to spin the handle.
Not sure why we mainly get high gear ratio reels here only.
Japan has all the lower gear ratio reels.
I have the FC2500S and it's been a great reel for far.
High gear ratios are great for bottom presentations like drop shot and Ned rigs. I’ll use a slower gear ratio for horizontal presentations like swimbaits and hair jigs.

Firstoutfisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Firstoutfisher » Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:21 pm

I ended up grabbing the FC 2500s XH QD. Its a 6.1 ratio reel, I would have preferred 5.1 but it is what digitaka had in stock and I want to play with the QD.

Firstoutfisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Firstoutfisher » Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:59 am

Got my luvias airity in and man this thing is sweet. Nicest reel I have ever owned.Now I just need to find out what size bearing I need to replace the spool support bushing.

Real Pudd legend
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Real Pudd legend » Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:32 am

Pm sent to you first outfisher

Winstondry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Winstondry » Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:50 pm

Just got my second one in about a month. Interested in hearing about replacing the plastic bushing too.

Tigerbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tigerbass » Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:06 pm

Firstoutfisher wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:21 pm
I ended up grabbing the FC 2500s XH QD. Its a 6.1 ratio reel, I would have preferred 5.1 but it is what digitaka had in stock and I want to play with the QD.
Do you have any more feedback on the reel (and QD)?? I’m very interested in the Airity, particularly the model that you got.

Firstoutfisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Firstoutfisher » Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:34 pm

Tigerbass wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:06 pm

Do you have any more feedback on the reel (and QD)?? I’m very interested in the Airity, particularly the model that you got.
Haven't caught any big fish with the reel yet and haven't adjusted drag during the fight to test it out. So I can't comment too much on the drag performance/benefits of the quick drag. When I have time to get around to it I will put it on a scale and test the QD against regular drag.
Winstondry wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:50 pm
Just got my second one in about a month. Interested in hearing about replacing the plastic bushing too.
Hedgehog got the bearings in but I haven't got around to replacing it yet.

https://www.hedgehog-studio.co.jp/product/4939

Not sure the spool support bearing will have much of an impact in performance, but I am going to do it anyway.