Any opinions on the ABU 20 Revo Deez8?

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Any opinions on the ABU 20 Revo Deez8?

Post by freelancer27 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:03 pm

Hi guys!

While browsing the JDM sites this reel caught my attention! https://japantackle.com/casting-reels/a ... 00281.html

On first glance it looks like a blue version of the MGEXTREME 2.

Does anybody know more about this reel? I tried the MGEXTREME 2 before and while it had some benefits (light, great caster of lighter lures), the limited drag and the knobs turned me away from the reel.

If the Deez 8 has addressed at least the drag part while maintaining its finesse capabilities, I might actually consider one for a blue Steez AGS that I just bought.

Any thoughts are welcome!

Cheers!

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Any opinions on the ABU 20 Revo Deez8?

Post by LowRange » Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:02 am

Short answer: no

Long answer:

This reel is linear mag brake. The MGXtreme 2 was IVCB centrifugal brake as was the old Deez spool in my Revo Elite. The linear mag brake spools are good at more gentle casting motions paired with lower dial settings which is good for target casting and working the bank. If you want to bomb cast I have found again and again that they suck. You have to turn the dial up to avoid the spool instantly blowing up on release when you dump a ton of rpm into it on a bomb cast then spool feels way choked off at the end of the cast do to the same high mag dial settings.

If you are putting it on a rod that is going to be spending 90% of the time working cover then absolutely go for it if you like it. If you want a blue MGXtreme 2 then I would say maybe but be aware they are completely different brake systems. If you liked the MGX I would have kept it. I will never let things like knobs and drag keep me away from a reel when I can easily replace those parts. Especially knobs. That's just two screws.

If you want to tinker you could potentially make an MGX out of one of these. That's what I did with my revo3 Elite IB. Revos are Lego reels and many parts are cross compatable. I took an Elite IB, an Ebay Deez spool and IVCB brake plate from a parts MGX and made my Elite Deez IVCB out of the parts plus a bunch of Blue color parts. Working on making the parts MGX into linear mag to make use of a BFS spool I found for it along with purple parts.

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Any opinions on the ABU 20 Revo Deez8?

Post by freelancer27 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:36 am

LowRange wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:02 am
Short answer: no

Long answer:

This reel is linear mag brake. The MGXtreme 2 was IVCB centrifugal brake as was the old Deez spool in my Revo Elite. The linear mag brake spools are good at more gentle casting motions paired with lower dial settings which is good for target casting and working the bank. If you want to bomb cast I have found again and again that they suck. You have to turn the dial up to avoid the spool instantly blowing up on release when you dump a ton of rpm into it on a bomb cast then spool feels way choked off at the end of the cast do to the same high mag dial settings.

If you are putting it on a rod that is going to be spending 90% of the time working cover then absolutely go for it if you like it. If you want a blue MGXtreme 2 then I would say maybe but be aware they are completely different brake systems. If you liked the MGX I would have kept it. I will never let things like knobs and drag keep me away from a reel when I can easily replace those parts. Especially knobs. That's just two screws.

If you want to tinker you could potentially make an MGX out of one of these. That's what I did with my revo3 Elite IB. Revos are Lego reels and many parts are cross compatable. I took an Elite IB, an Ebay Deez spool and IVCB brake plate from a parts MGX and made my Elite Deez IVCB out of the parts plus a bunch of Blue color parts. Working on making the parts MGX into linear mag to make use of a BFS spool I found for it along with purple parts.
Thanks for the reply! I think i stay away from it and focus on the known subjects from Daiwa and Shimano. :)