Finesse pitching shootout I think I need help

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Finesse pitching shootout I think I need help

Post by LowRange » Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:38 pm

So I got bored and wanted to test out my newest pitching setup a P2 Destroyer F7 711X Fast Shootin Model Finesse Jigs & Baits and a TD-S 105HL with a number of different 103 spools. I wanted to test the ability of the combo to pitch a finesse jig and trailer. I compared it to an Orochi XX gen 1 Perfect Pitch and an Orochi X4 FX 711. The target was a tree about 45 ft away off the deck.

The target
The winner
Tested this guy too.
F7 711X vs FX 711
This thing was spooled with 50# Trilene braid

Long story the short the PP is an amazing pitching stick. Even better when paired to the IP68 with Ray's spool.

With the F7 711X I fid OK but the accuracy and distance was poor struggling to reach the tree. The FX 711 did a bit better and loaded a little more deeply on the pitch and sent the bait to the tree but the accuracy was poor.

When I used the PP it sent the bait right into the trunk of the tree at high speed like a dart. Looking to the left or right of the truck and I could send the bait a few feet past the tree on either side. I was very happy with the PP, IP68 and spool combo. This was my dedicated pitching setup and I assumed the new longer rod would at least match it but the two were light years apart.

Thinking the reel was the culprit I put the IP on the other two sticks and repeated the test. I did pitch the bait much better on those sticks than the TD-S with Amo or Type R+ spool but it was not quite as good as on the PP. Turns out the reel was a big part of the equation. Thinking that maybe the lefty reel and 711X would do better with a heavier bait I tied on a 1/2 oz jig and a trailer and had the exact same results.

What don't understand is why I am so abysmal at pitching with the big 7'11" stick and the lefty reel. Only thing I noticed is that I am way slower in the pitching stroke when palming the reel. Also my pitching stroke is not the same as the guys like Teal who do a lot of pitching and I think this is the problem.

I pitch and cast right handed. I also keep the reel level during the pitch or cast. I don't turn my reel on its side or anything like that. I grab the rod and swing it upwards ending with a snap of the wrist just before the release point then transition to palming. Works like a charm with my right handed reels. When the I use the lefty reel and pitch while palming I do way worse and I don't get the speed on the bait and pitch much slower.

It looks like I am going to have to relearn how to pitch if I want to learn how to pitch while palming the reel to give this new reel and rod a fair shake. I honestly bought them just to learn how to do this. So what are the mechanics of pitching this way? Notice how Teal in the video below ends up with the reel handle pointing downwards at the end of the pitch? He also seems to swing the rod across the chest rather then just hold it out in front and swing up like I do. Anyone have any videos or breakdowns on how to do this?

https://youtu.be/b6NxIFMtRT4
Last edited by LowRange on Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Finesse pitching shootout I think I need help

Post by LowRange » Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:07 pm

Another issue is that when trying to thumb the spool palming the reel I find that I have to use my thumb pad instead of thumb tip. The thumb pad just sort of rides over the spool and thumb pressure is used to slow and stop the spool. The thumb riding over the spool even when relaxed is acting as a brake and choking off distance. I may have to switch to a different palming grip but I didnt feel like I get a good hold on the rod and reel with only two fingers in front of the trigger and pitching.

Attached is the palming when pitching position and a "normal" casting/pitching grip and thumb positions between free and thumbing the spool. 1st pic is a different palming grip that affords the ability to thumb the spool like normal with out having to ride the thumb pad over the spool but feels less secure. It's like I am neither gripping the rod or reel and can feel it move around on the pitch.
Attachments
Screenshot_20211126-171056_Gallery_copy_540x715.jpg
Screenshot_20211126-171056_Gallery_copy_540x715.jpg (45.04 KiB) Viewed 1367 times
Screenshot_20211126-170440_Gallery_copy_540x707.jpg
Screenshot_20211126-170440_Gallery_copy_540x707.jpg (38.26 KiB) Viewed 1367 times
Screenshot_20211126-170430_Gallery_copy_540x715.jpg
Screenshot_20211126-170430_Gallery_copy_540x715.jpg (39.23 KiB) Viewed 1367 times
Screenshot_20211126-170111_Gallery_copy_540x716.jpg
Screenshot_20211126-170111_Gallery_copy_540x716.jpg (65.23 KiB) Viewed 1367 times

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:45 pm

That and reevaluate my priorities. :-k why am I even worried about how far this thing pitches? Longer rod = more gooder distance. So if it doesn't then something is wrong? Still feel like I don't have the technique for pitching this way because it shouldn't lose to a 7'2" XF rod even if it is called the Perfect Pitch. Maybe I will actually flip for once in my life. One of the neat things about these reels is that you can lift the clutch lever back up with your thumb tip making them act as a flipping switch.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:39 pm

Ok I figured it out. You can't pitch normally when palming the reel as in its really hard to hold the rod out in front and swing the rod upwards with the wrist when your hand is wrapped around the reel. You can rotate the wrist just fine and when this is combined with a down to up swing across the body from left to right you can pitch just fine. Neat. I learned a new thing. Just a slightly different mechanic from the "normal" pitch righty reel anglers use.

Also the only way I can make this work is to palm with only 2 fingers on from the trigger. My normal palming is 3 fingers but that's really difficult to do while trying to thumb the spool so 2 makes more sense and with these lefty flipping Daiwas they seem to be shaped for 2 fingers in front the the trigger. They fit like a glove then. I'm really going to like this combo flipping. There is no flight time to change up grips when flipping so its nice to be able to use the same grip to flip and fish.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:30 am

LowRange wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:45 pm
One of the neat things about these reels is that you can lift the clutch lever back up with your thumb tip making them act as a flipping switch.
You can do this with all Daiwa reels ;)
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"