JDM Jig rods

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
kyty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: JDM Jig rods

Post by kyty » Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:36 pm

I have about every rod listed above and the 893 is arguably the most sensitive rod I own.

KP Duty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KP Duty » Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:59 pm

jpmoney wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:03 am
KP Duty wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:15 am
The high-end JDM rods have more blank technology than the '08 NRX, but when you are only plugging in 1.5" or so of the blank into the handle, it is seemingly a large disadvantage.
1.5" ? Where are you getting your numbers for measurements? I have all of the aforementioned rods and in reality it's about 4-4.5" of blank sliding very tightly into the handle. You also mention it is "seemingly a large disadvantage"..... :-k Again, if you haven't fished the ultima or the steez racing design how on earth would you know if it's a disadvantage, or better yet a large disadvantage?? Not trying to start something, but I give every rod a fair chance. I'm not a G loomis schill, nor am I a JDM rod schill. There's lots of rods on both domestic and JDM that have top notch sensitivity, but I just can't understand how thinking a handle connection reduces sensitivity? I can take it a step further and take shots at the NRX, yes they do have a very nice piece of exposed blank but how do you explain the NRX models (ie. 854C, 916C) that are wayyyy less sensitive than the 893C? That crushes the exposed blank theory of making a rod "more sensitive".

Moral of the story is unless you have fished a particular JDM rod model, you can't accurately judge the sensitivity level or perceived sensitivity based off design features like an exposed blank (NRX) vs blank connection (JDM) and not blank performance/design....and of course real life accounts from users who have used them. Just my $0.02
1.5" may be conservative, but I remember it being a smaller section than I thought it would be. Don't want to pull any apart, but I'll get a measure on a PG I have on the way. I figure most on this subforum have an nrx or 2, just sharing my thoughts on it and why I think the sensitivity is highlighted by the build. My JDM affliction, like most probaby, came from wantng a more refined and better looking rod. I'll own a couple of every line eventually. I'll never sell my old nrx's though.

NOLRAMB
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by NOLRAMB » Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:21 pm

I have both the
Daiwa Steez Racing Design Hustler Finesse 701MH/HXB-ST

And the

Evergreen Kaleido Black Raven Extreme RS

Both rods listed above are noticeably more sensitive than any NRX/+ model they are awesome hula grub and 3/8 jig rods, I use the Finesse Tune for 1/2 keitech football jigs, Compared to my NRX rods including the 893 balance, sensitivity, build quality, castability is just better.

The NRX gold standard label is dated, but they are still great rods don't get me wrong.

I also have the Steez Racing Design Jigga Stick but it's more for 1/2 to 3/4 football jigs with stout hooks, similar to the Kaleido Super Stallion i have.

jprice92
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jprice92 » Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:44 pm

NOLRAMB wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:21 pm
I have both the
Daiwa Steez Racing Design Hustler Finesse 701MH/HXB-ST

And the

Evergreen Kaleido Black Raven Extreme RS

Both rods listed above are noticeably more sensitive than any NRX/+ model they are awesome hula grub and 3/8 jig rods, I use the Finesse Tune for 1/2 keitech football jigs, Compared to my NRX rods including the 893 balance, sensitivity, build quality, castability is just better.

The NRX gold standard label is dated, but they are still great rods don't get me wrong.

I also have the Steez Racing Design Jigga Stick but it's more for 1/2 to 3/4 football jigs with stout hooks, similar to the Kaleido Super Stallion i have.
Man I want that black raven, it’s pricey though 🤣

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:08 am

jpmoney wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:22 am
Yes I do have some suggestions. Jig rods more sensitive than 893C NRX? Sensitivity is subjective but here are a few that I have that in my opinion are more sensitive. BTW I still have an NRX893C but these JDM options are excellent if you want to shell out the BIG BUCKS:

1). Daiwa Steez Racing Design 701MH/HXB-ST. Solid tipped Steez racing design hustler finesse tune. This one is an incredible 3/8oz jig rod.

2) Shimano poison Ultima 172H. Don’t let the “H” throw you off. This rod fishes like a MH or MH+ And does amazingly well with 3/8oz jigs and T-rigs.

3) Evergreen Kaleido Black Raven Extreme RS. This is a shorter rod at 6-6” but has epic level sensitivity. If you’re looking for a shorter rod this is the GOAT for bottom contact.
Leta say I want a 5" senko rod out of my 3/8 oz jig stick. Which one do you recommend?

NOLRAMB
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by NOLRAMB » Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:35 pm

Not directed at me but since I have the black raven extreme and the Hustler Finesse tune, I would say the Finesse tune, since I have used it for 5 inch senkos and it's great for that bait.

jprice92
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jprice92 » Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:57 pm

I’ve been emailing Kazumi at jdm tackle heaven and he also recommended these rods:

Gamakatsu Luxxe Zephyros Baitcasting B66MH-F

Gamakatsu Luxxe Efreet Baitcasting B70MH-F

Evergreen Heracles Baitcasting HCSC-67MH-LTS Bluemeister LTS

Anyone know anything about these rods?

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:39 pm

LowRange wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:08 am
jpmoney wrote:
Yes I do have some suggestions. Jig rods more sensitive than 893C NRX? Sensitivity is subjective but here are a few that I have that in my opinion are more sensitive. BTW I still have an NRX893C but these JDM options are excellent if you want to shell out the BIG BUCKS:

1). Daiwa Steez Racing Design 701MH/HXB-ST. Solid tipped Steez racing design hustler finesse tune. This one is an incredible 3/8oz jig rod.

2) Shimano poison Ultima 172H. Don’t let the “H” throw you off. This rod fishes like a MH or MH+ And does amazingly well with 3/8oz jigs and T-rigs.

3) Evergreen Kaleido Black Raven Extreme RS. This is a shorter rod at 6-6” but has epic level sensitivity. If you’re looking for a shorter rod this is the GOAT for bottom contact.
Leta say I want a 5" senko rod out of my 3/8 oz jig stick. Which one do you recommend?

+ 1 on the hustler finesse tune for senko type baits. So perfect for that type of application.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Dec 10, 2021 4:07 pm

Polkfish1 wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:39 pm
LowRange wrote:
jpmoney wrote:

+ 1 on the hustler finesse tune for senko type baits. So perfect for that type of application.
Thank you. Too bad I fell in love with it before seeing the peice of admission. Any idea what the poor man's version of this rod is in the up to $500 range?

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:36 pm

LowRange wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 4:07 pm
Polkfish1 wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:39 pm
LowRange wrote:
jpmoney wrote:

Thank you. Too bad I fell in love with it before seeing the peice of admission. Any idea what the poor man's version of this rod is in the up to $500 range?

Oh man. So many choices. I’ll have to think about it. But, just first instinct is to think that if you liked what you saw with the racing designs, perhaps the new US steez lineup is something you might want to consider. Everyone on here seems to rave about them. I usually go for variety, but I liked the first RD I got so much, I ended up with three different models, so by the time the new US steezes dropped, I was pretty covered in the steez department and never tried a new US steez. But, by all accounts, it seems like those rods are not a massive step down from the RD at all. Plus, you get whatever warranty Daiwa is giving these days.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:42 pm

LowRange wrote:
21 Steez AGS 70MMH Sensor is as close as I think you'll get for roughly 1/2 the cost of admission. I've fished both quite a bit and the pragmatic side of me doesn't see nearly $400+ (and zero warranty) over the US Steez.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

jprice92
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jprice92 » Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:35 pm

bronzefly wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:42 pm
LowRange wrote:
21 Steez AGS 70MMH Sensor is as close as I think you'll get for roughly 1/2 the cost of admission. I've fished both quite a bit and the pragmatic side of me doesn't see nearly $400+ (and zero warranty) over the US Steez.
for 3/8 ounce jigs would you prefer the sensor or the bottom contact?

NOLRAMB
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by NOLRAMB » Sat Dec 11, 2021 6:39 am

Just get the Hustler Finesse Tune and the Jigga Stick, both of them will have you covered for a variety of techniques and insane sensitivity.

Rigging up for tomorrow morning, I snapped a not so great picture of my two go to Racing Design bottom contact combos and the line I use, if you go with either or both you won't regret it.
Attachments
20211211_063502_copy_1950x1037.jpg
20211211_063502_copy_1950x1037.jpg (31.84 KiB) Viewed 2871 times

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Sat Dec 11, 2021 6:43 am

jprice92 wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:35 pm
for 3/8 ounce jigs would you prefer the sensor or the bottom contact?
Shallower water, finesse type, lighter wire jigs dragging around in the rocks, not fishing in or around heavy cover, The Sensor would be my choice. 3/8 oz flipping style or heavier wire jigs, heavier cover, or deeper water, I'd prefer the Bottom Contact II. Both are great rods!
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Tigerbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tigerbass » Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:38 pm

NOLRAMB wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 6:39 am
Just get the Hustler Finesse Tune and the Jigga Stick, both of them will have you covered for a variety of techniques and insane sensitivity.

Rigging up for tomorrow morning, I snapped a not so great picture of my two go to Racing Design bottom contact combos and the line I use, if you go with either or both you won't regret it.
Those are really nice combos!!!