21 Steez SV TW Limited

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

21 Steez SV TW Limited

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:39 pm

The previous thread for this reel turned into quite the dramafest. I just read through all of it, up to the point that Cal locked it down. Though I have to say kudos to Tim. You're a great mod bud.
Anyways, has a 2nd thread already been created for this reel? If so, can someone point me in the right direction? Just curious if many members have purchased this reel, and have actually fished it. How are we liking it? Before the previous thread went sideways, I was asking about the finish, and how it holds up. I read Cals review, good work 👍.
I'm curious how this reel fishes with lighter presentations, say 1/8 oz plus small plastic trailer? I'm still impressed by how my original Steez SV TW handles finesse oriented baits, especially the 1012 version. Gets even better with the Zpi Nrc001-m spool. How is this boost spool in that regard? Is it similar to the new Zillion 1000? The Zillion didn't seem to appreciate harder, more forceful casting motions. Is the Steez the same? As Cal stated, gentle lob casts seems to be the ticket. However, the Zillion doesn't seem to play well with lighter gear, like the original Steez SV TW does. Just curious if the new Steez is similar to the new Zillion, or similar to the original Steez SV TW. Any additional thoughts and input would be greatly appreciated.

Winstondry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: 21 Steez SV TW Limited

Post by Winstondry » Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:24 pm

I have one and bought back when they first came out in February. No issues with the finish but I’m uber careful about all my reels, always putting their covers when not in my hand, even when on the deck. Right now it’s on a P5 Super Destroyer for pitching creature baits, I’ve also paired it with my Inspirare RSR, it’s right at home on either stick.

I’d recommend it for anyone thinking about getting one! The only upgrade I made was to put an SLP Works handle and Silver SLP knobs.
Attachments
57BA9177-A518-4192-B2CD-0FC51D8DA7D2.jpeg
57BA9177-A518-4192-B2CD-0FC51D8DA7D2.jpeg (22.12 KiB) Viewed 1916 times
377683F2-42B1-4CA4-88D9-3CC397B56308.jpeg
377683F2-42B1-4CA4-88D9-3CC397B56308.jpeg (21.09 KiB) Viewed 1916 times
A8376BCC-BC7D-4B98-A795-A746D8A7CADC.jpeg
A8376BCC-BC7D-4B98-A795-A746D8A7CADC.jpeg (44.09 KiB) Viewed 1916 times
0F756C67-0076-44AC-8DCB-B93BE17A2283.jpeg
0F756C67-0076-44AC-8DCB-B93BE17A2283.jpeg (41.45 KiB) Viewed 1916 times

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:46 pm

Winstondry wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:24 pm
I have one and bought back when they first came out in February. No issues with the finish but I’m uber careful about all my reels, always putting their covers when not in my hand, even when on the deck. Right now it’s on a P5 Super Destroyer for pitching creature baits, I’ve also paired it with my Inspirare RSR, it’s right at home on either stick.

I’d recommend it for anyone thinking about getting one! The only upgrade I made was to put an SLP Works handle and Silver SLP knobs.
Any thoughts on performance? Comparisons? I'd like to know how casting performance compares with the original, Including light baits below a quarter ounce. Thanks for the response.

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:58 pm

It's a great reel for sure. I picked up what I'd call an 'enthusiast's ding' right out of the gate somehow. By that I mean my wife would not notice it in a million years, but if I handed it to one of you guys in the moonlight, you'd probably find it. The finish has held up fine since. There might be something else on it by now, but I have not inspected it carefully in a while. The reel cover stays on and I set the rod down reel up when switching between rods. It's the period between hook set and fish release that my brain goes in a different gear and all bets are off.

It casts great, but I have not done any direct scientific comparisons among my reels. I definitely can't answer your question satisfactorily. I'm in Florida and primarily power fish, so I don't test the limits of finesse. A senko for me is ultra finesse. I do thow a lot of handmade balsa cranks, some of which are tiny in my mind. I don't know, but probably around 10 g in some cases. You can sling them with confidence with it. But a zillion and steez ct do well enough with them and currently sit on rods I use for crankin. It feels like a hybrid between the original sv tw and new zillion. Mine is currently on a designo leben torque tune 7.1h for no strategic reason I can think of. It's just a fun combo to fish.
Attachments
IMG_1104.jpeg
IMG_1104.jpeg (66.24 KiB) Viewed 1825 times
Last edited by Polkfish1 on Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Winstondry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Winstondry » Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:35 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:46 pm
Winstondry wrote:

Any thoughts on performance? Comparisons? I'd like to know how casting performance compares with the original, Including light baits below a quarter ounce. Thanks for the response.
Honestly, I can’t make a good comparison as I have ZPI’s in all my Steez TW’s. I’ve pitched 3/16 with midsize Brush Hogs with it with no issues, I think I had 12lbs Tatsu on it at that time but now it’s spooled with 15lbs Tatsu and I’m pitching 1/2-1 Oz creature baits with it. I’d say it pitches much better than the new Zillion for sure and handles anything over 3/16 and over nicely. It was definitely the shiny new reel syndrome that ‘hooked’ me and it was worth it. I’ve thrown bigger worms and an Ika with it and no issues with them. I’ve not tried throwing anything lighter than 3/16.

Hope that helps.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:20 pm

Winstondry wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:35 pm
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:46 pm
Winstondry wrote:

Honestly, I can’t make a good comparison as I have ZPI’s in all my Steez TW’s. I’ve pitched 3/16 with midsize Brush Hogs with it with no issues, I think I had 12lbs Tatsu on it at that time but now it’s spooled with 15lbs Tatsu and I’m pitching 1/2-1 Oz creature baits with it. I’d say it pitches much better than the new Zillion for sure and handles anything over 3/16 and over nicely. It was definitely the shiny new reel syndrome that ‘hooked’ me and it was worth it. I’ve thrown bigger worms and an Ika with it and no issues with them. I’ve not tried throwing anything lighter than 3/16.

Hope that helps.
Much appreciated. I'm also running Zpi spools in my Steez SV TW reels.