What is more enthusiast to you: MH or H sticks?

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

What is more enthusiast to you: MH or H sticks?

Post by LowRange » Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:17 am

What triggers your enthusiasm in a MH or H stick? Is a power rating thing in that you have more enthusiasm for a 1/2 oz jig heavy powered stick than an all around MH rod? Is it the other way around? Extreme versatility or purpose built dedicated perfection?

I'm facing an odd problem. I have an SS SV 105 with an SLP dressup kit and IS magnets in it. I love the way it looks in the XX and XXX rods since they match so well. I also like how light weight those rods are compared to the old XX and JDM XX of which I have one of each. Here is the problem.

I have:

A gen 1 XX Perfect Pitch for much of my pitching needs
A gen 1 XX JDM EMTF for bottom contact

I have an IP reel on each and am very happy with the PP as a heavy powered jig and plastics pitching stick but find the MH EMTF and IP reel too heavy weight wise and too long for a dedicated bottom contact stick and use it as a dark sleeper and big worm rod structure fishing instead (probing points humps ect not trees).

So I have this light weight tricked out SS SV105 needing a home and the new XX and XXX rods look great.

The MH XXX Chimera looks like it should be a no brainer but it's just doesn't appeal to me. Its described as an all around MH and more than once I have heard it is good for spinnerbaits and that is NOT what I want out of this stick. Seems too generic.

The H XXX Cover hacking definitely catches my interest with a short 6'8" length, H power and JDM appeal. Seems to make perfect sense in my brain. It's just cool and the Chimera isn't. The problem is I have to check myself when I think like this and evaluate my logic.

After thinking it over I don't have a need for the Cover Hacking with something like 4 heavy powered MB sticks and two XH already in my lineup. But I want to add a 5th just because I think it's cool even though I only have one MH.

My reasoning is that I want to get a high dedicated bottom contact MH for weightless senkos and up to 3/8 oz jigs but I want to pair it to a Steez TW SV I don't even have yet and that my SS SV105 isn't worth of such a stick. Because the SS SV105 needs a rod then I should get another cool stick like this JDM shorty H as a high end kayak stick instead of some boring old average MH Chimera. I'll surely put the Cover Hacking to use skipping and casting docks with jigs and plastics but I have an actual need for a MH and but find it impossible to pull the trigger on one because it's uninteresting somehow.

Current the reel is sitting on a broken xxx BE2 because I like the way they look and is a reminder to find a rod for it

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: What is more enthusiast to you: MH or H sticks?

Post by goldrod » Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:43 pm

There’s one real answer
Sell that sssv to me
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:46 pm

The ss sv is a really light.
I think it’s best on a light rod , and one that’s 6’10” to 7’0”
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:14 pm

goldrod wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:43 pm
There’s one real answer
Sell that sssv to me
Tempting

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:19 pm

Unless you've upgraded the drag on the 105 with carbontex, it wont cut it as a reel for a heavy-power rod. Even with the 7 disc drag that comes in the 105XH model, it isnt quite as smooth or strong as it needs to be, imho.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:02 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:19 pm
Unless you've upgraded the drag on the 105 with carbontex, it wont cut it as a reel for a heavy-power rod. Even with the 7 disc drag that comes in the 105XH model, it isnt quite as smooth or strong as it needs to be, imho.
The 105 seems pretty strong to me. I was frogging with it and in lockdown it can't be budged. I think it has a normal multi stack like the regular Steez at the time. The 105 was 8:1 only with a hybrid brass main gear if I remember correctly. Mine has loads of drag power. Havent taken the drag apart yet to get a look at it. I was locking it down and winching fish through the slop and dragging them up on the bank last year with it doing some bank fishing with it in a 72H Hyuga and 50# braid. No problems from the drag on the SS SV105.

RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:06 am

My JDM enthusiasm started with the BFS craze. For that reason, I feel the lighter powered sticks are more enthusiast to me. Also because there are many longer Heavy powered sticks in the states but the shorter more versatile rods seem to be more JDM.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:58 am

RMCatchNrelease wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:06 am
My JDM enthusiasm started with the BFS craze. For that reason, I feel the lighter powered sticks are more enthusiast to me. Also because there are many longer Heavy powered sticks in the states but the shorter more versatile rods seem to be more JDM.
I was the same way for a while and have a nice collection of great BFS sticks from UL to ML but now my enthusiasm is for the heavy powered and beyond JDM stuff. Plenty of those powered in US sticks but they all look like they were made by a 5 year old in a shed. Functional but man do they not excite me in any way. My next rod is going to be an ALX Oxim for my urban camo Steez because the Oxim has urban camo grip, is light weight and I need another MH. But man does that build quality and finishes not inspire enthusiasm. Maybe it's better in person but the exposed lock nut threading and lack of winding checks just screams low effort. US made so I guess this is how they offset costs.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:22 pm

LowRange wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:58 am
RMCatchNrelease wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:06 am
I was the same way for a while and have a nice collection of great BFS sticks from UL to ML but now my enthusiasm is for the heavy powered and beyond JDM stuff. Plenty of those powered in US sticks but they all look like they were made by a 5 year old in a shed. Functional but man do they not excite me in any way. My next rod is going to be an ALX Oxim for my urban camo Steez because the Oxim has urban camo grip, is light weight and I need another MH. But man does that build quality and finishes not inspire enthusiasm. Maybe it's better in person but the exposed lock nut threading and lack of winding checks just screams low effort. US made so I guess this is how they offset costs.

Not alot out now is inspiring

RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Sat Dec 18, 2021 5:52 pm

I really wanted the P5 Tequila Baccarat. I was lucky to test it in person. However, I did not find the shaved trigger on the reel seat comfortable.

I have a Daiwa Air Edge Travel 694SB rated 1-4oz that is pretty cool and weights 136g. It has zero tip though.

I would like to try a JDM frog rod in the 6'10" range.