EG Serval — MB Tomahawk — Steez glass

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

EG Serval — MB Tomahawk — Steez glass

Post by Johnny A » Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:31 am

I’ve been using the Daiwa Signature Elite 7’ Tak glass rods for my cranking and topwater duties for about the past year and half. Crankbaits that run in the 6’-10’ range have been extremely effective to the point of being a year round tactic. That being said, I’m wondering about moving up to one of the header rods. Are they better performance-wise or just nicer components are cosmetics.
I’ve used both Tomahawk rods and EG glass (don’t remember model, it was 6’6”. Found it to be too sloppy.) I’m not dissatisfied with the Tatula, I guess I’m just asking if there are any benefits you can think of.
Thanks.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: EG Serval — MB Tomahawk — Steez glass

Post by LowRange » Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:04 am

Curious on this as well. What about the BLX cranking sticks? They're like $400+ Valkaryie territory in price. I want something for throwing 3/8 - 1/2 oz squarebills and 1/2 - 5/8 oz lipless with 30# braid and whatever else it can do. Can't even decide on a 7' M "squarebill" or a 7'3" MH "chatterbait" type rod. Every 7' M cranking stick I have used feels out of gas trying to rip traps out if grass even on braid let alone a big trap. Probably just going to get a sub $100 13 Fishing composite glass stick to test the MH waters.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:50 am

LowRange wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:04 am
Curious on this as well. What about the BLX cranking sticks? They're like $400+ Valkaryie territory in price. I want something for throwing 3/8 - 1/2 oz squarebills and 1/2 - 5/8 oz lipless with 30# braid and whatever else it can do. Can't even decide on a 7' M "squarebill" or a 7'3" MH "chatterbait" type rod. Every 7' M cranking stick I have used feels out of gas trying to rip traps out if grass even on braid let alone a big trap. Probably just going to get a sub $100 13 Fishing composite glass stick to test the MH waters.
I think I’m moving away from squarebills to mid-depth (6’-10’) cranks because of the bottom composition of sand/clay. There’s not a lot of grass but a few brushpiles and fallen trees. The lipless stuff is either open water or yo-yoing on bridge pilings, docks or isolated rocks.
I tried the Daiwa Rebellion 7’3” glass and found it to be a little unwieldy and just a bit heavy. I’m going to try the 7’ Tatula Elite with the larger cranks 1.5oz ball park, see how it works. I might try one of the Tatula glass in 7’3” or 7’4”.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:06 am

Johnny A wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:50 am
LowRange wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:04 am
I think I’m moving away from squarebills to mid-depth (6’-10’) cranks because of the bottom composition of sand/clay. There’s not a lot of grass but a few brushpiles and fallen trees. The lipless stuff is either open water or yo-yoing on bridge pilings, docks or isolated rocks.
I tried the Daiwa Rebellion 7’3” glass and found it to be a little unwieldy and just a bit heavy. I’m going to try the 7’ Tatula Elite with the larger cranks 1.5oz ball park, see how it works. I might try one of the Tatula glass in 7’3” or 7’4”.
Its much easier to venture into the unknown when the rods are affordable like the Tatula line. That's what scares me with the BLX cranking rods. With the Valkaryie I at least have faith in MB to wow me. Only been let down once with a MB stick and it was the rather ordinary M moderate graphite stick xxx BE2 altough in time I came to appreciate how deeply it loaded and the long handle when bombing small plastics and light cranks.