Diawa Certate Finesse Custom 2004

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
DarkShadow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Diawa Certate Finesse Custom 2004

Post by DarkShadow » Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:14 am

I bought this reel about 10 years ago. This was my first actual JDM purchase.

I loved the gun metal color. A bit heavy, but the construction felt solid. I had been looking to upgrade my Stradic which was my main drop shot reel, and I needed something whose spool wouldn't waste 200 yards of FC on it. (Never understood why shallow spools aren't offered in the US, but tha'ts a rant for another day. Like a bass is gonna peel off 50 yards of line on a run.)

The Custom 2004 was perfect. I use 4 or 5 pound test to drop shot here in SoCal, and the spool took 75 yards.

Everything was great. And then came the first outing where I hooked a nice fish and it took off on me. And the drag started, um, singing? I had this expression: :?

Then my buddy turns around and says, "WTF is that?"

The drag sounded....for lack of a better word, cheap? It just didn't sound like I would expect this coveted reel's drag would sound, and it wasn't even me that noticed it. My buddy's Stella? That drag sounds perfect. But this Daiwa? Ughh!

So, I broke down and sent the reel to a reputable reel repair place that has experience with JDM reels. I even upgraded all the bearings to some Orange Seals, knowing full well it wasn't the bearings. It was just how the drag's clicker is made. Sure enough, the reel came back smooth as all ever, but that drag's pitch was a deal breaker.

My buddy would yell, "Daiwa drag, Daiwa drag, Daiwa drag!" every time a fish peeled drag. I finally switched to using a Sustain, and the Certate became the loaner reel.

I haven't used it in years. I pulled it out the other day and went to the local pond. I got bit, I set the hook, and the reel's handle spun backwards, leaving me with a bird's nest. On a spinning reel. :roll:

I thought I had inadvertently turned off the anti reverse. Nope.

I notice that this only happens on hooksets or when there is a hard backwards motion. For example, I can turn the anti reverse on, spin the handle backwards slowly, and engage the anti reverse switch and it still spins backwards. It is only when the handle stops that the backward motion ceases.

Would this even be worth to even repair? Or has the reel finally died?

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Diawa Certate Finesse Custom 2004

Post by Tim Kelly » Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:39 am

Probably the anti reverse bearing has got contaminated with oil or grease, that will cause it to spin backwards, particularly in the cold as the grease is thicker. Can't help with the clicker sound. I expect it could be tuned by someone with time on their hands and a little mechanical ability, but first world problems! :lol:

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:13 am

DarkShadow wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:14 am
I bought this reel about 10 years ago. This was my first actual JDM purchase.

I loved the gun metal color. A bit heavy, but the construction felt solid. I had been looking to upgrade my Stradic which was my main drop shot reel, and I needed something whose spool wouldn't waste 200 yards of FC on it. (Never understood why shallow spools aren't offered in the US, but tha'ts a rant for another day. Like a bass is gonna peel off 50 yards of line on a run.)

The Custom 2004 was perfect. I use 4 or 5 pound test to drop shot here in SoCal, and the spool took 75 yards.

Everything was great. And then came the first outing where I hooked a nice fish and it took off on me. And the drag started, um, singing? I had this expression: :?

Then my buddy turns around and says, "WTF is that?"

The drag sounded....for lack of a better word, cheap? It just didn't sound like I would expect this coveted reel's drag would sound, and it wasn't even me that noticed it. My buddy's Stella? That drag sounds perfect. But this Daiwa? Ughh!

So, I broke down and sent the reel to a reputable reel repair place that has experience with JDM reels. I even upgraded all the bearings to some Orange Seals, knowing full well it wasn't the bearings. It was just how the drag's clicker is made. Sure enough, the reel came back smooth as all ever, but that drag's pitch was a deal breaker.

My buddy would yell, "Daiwa drag, Daiwa drag, Daiwa drag!" every time a fish peeled drag. I finally switched to using a Sustain, and the Certate became the loaner reel.

I haven't used it in years. I pulled it out the other day and went to the local pond. I got bit, I set the hook, and the reel's handle spun backwards, leaving me with a bird's nest. On a spinning reel. :roll:

I thought I had inadvertently turned off the anti reverse. Nope.

I notice that this only happens on hooksets or when there is a hard backwards motion. For example, I can turn the anti reverse on, spin the handle backwards slowly, and engage the anti reverse switch and it still spins backwards. It is only when the handle stops that the backward motion ceases.

Would this even be worth to even repair? Or has the reel finally died?
Definitely repairable. I did sell an Abu Revo spinner(switched to all newer Shimanos with no anti reverse switch) that kept doing this. It was exactly as you described, only it would not do it in summer months. I would assume the reel sat for a while and debris or grease got down into the AR clutch; causing your issue. I have no idea how hard that reel would be to work on, some are not so bad and others are not worth the time (anti reverses that is). Just look at it this way, if it is already broken and not usable, you've got nothing to lose trying to fix it yourself, assuming you don't break or damage something completely. I would try to find a schematic and just very slowly/carefully tinker with it. If not I am sure someone at TackleTrap could give advice of either sending it to them or point you in the right direction.

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:46 am

My bet is that from sitting so long, the anti-reverse bearing got gummed up and is sticking in the free spool position. Pull it out, give it a soak in something that won't harm the plastic cage, then put it back together with a little light oil on it. Reassemble then enjoy that Daiwa drag zzzzziiiiiinnnnnnngggggggggg :lol: \:D/