Is the Steez SV LTD 105XH worth it these days?

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Is the Steez SV LTD 105XH worth it these days?

Post by SSS » Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:04 pm

Have an opportunity of getting one of these in great shape, and i do love the og steez platform quite a bit, but are they really worth it over the standard steez103 and the steez100? The plastic handle side plate is pretty much what keeps me from getting the reel, because it looks like a downgrade from the standard og steez. I was also always curious about the magnets. Are they stronger on this model when compared to the original steez reels or are they identical? Thanks for the info.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Is the Steez SV LTD 105XH worth it these days?

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:12 pm

Depends on the price. Just know that it's more likely than not that the finish will peel. I believe the magnets are a little stronger than on the OG. All of my limited Steez SV reels are from my experience. I'm fine with that. So many spool options for these reels has made it worth owning 3 of them for me. I have a 1012SV in one, a Zpi Nrc001-m in another, and the KTF Neo in the 3rd. Always bring the limited SV105 spool on every trip, just in case I blow one up. Luckily my Limited 105 has been custom painted. Is it better than the USDM Steez SV103? Not really much different

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:39 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:12 pm
Depends on the price. Just know that it's more likely than not that the finish will peel. I believe the magnets are a little stronger than on the OG. All of my limited Steez SV reels are from my experience. I'm fine with that. So many spool options for these reels has made it worth owning 3 of them for me. I have a 1012SV in one, a Zpi Nrc001-m in another, and the KTF Neo in the 3rd. Always bring the limited SV105 spool on every trip, just in case I blow one up. Luckily my Limited 105 has been custom painted. Is it better than the USDM Steez SV103? Not really much different
Any pictures of your painted one? I too was thinking of painting it since it does have that flaking issues.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:19 am

Would also like to know how smooth these are. Saw this one having a hybrid gear set, which outside of the t3 air, i haven't seen any other daiwa or shimano reels with something similar.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:13 am

Magnets seem just as weak as my SS SV reels. Good with the 1010 spool, SV spools and ZPI RC 002 spools. Unusable with my fixed inductor Aliexpress spools. The fancy plastic side plate was cutting edge at the time and sorta in the ballpark of magnesium in strength but able to offer a more unique shape which they did make use of. I'm neutral on it. Techincially it's worse but it is cool so that makes it ok.

They are smooth enough but not buttery disconnected smooth. Way smoother than my SS SVs or used IS73 was for sure. Mine is a jerkbait reel with a 1010 spool and looks great on a green Lavante. I paied $400 for it used when they were the cutting edge. Now its just an old Steez I have to baby to protect the paint. It's neat but I wouldnt pay more that $300 for one even in near mint condition. If I really wanted thar platform I would get another used SS SV105 and deal with the more gritty retrieve. That or an SS SV103 5:1 and gear swap it. That silver and black trim of that ratio just looks so good.
Last edited by LowRange on Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:33 am

LowRange wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:13 am
Magnets seem just as weak as my SS SV reels. Good with the 1010 spool, SV spools and ZPI RC 002 spools. Unusable with my fixed inductor Aliexpress spools. The fancy plastic side plate was cutting edge at the time and sorta in the ballpark of magnesium in strength but able to offer a more unique shape which they did make use of. I'm neutral on it. Techincially it's worse but it is cool so that makes it ok.

They are smooth enough but not buttery disconnected smooth. Way smoother than my SS SVs or used IS73 was for sure. Mine is a jerkbait reel with a 1010 spool and looks great on a green Lavante. I paied $400 for it used when they were the cutting edge. Now its just an old Steez I have to baby to protect the paint. It's neat but I wouldnt pay more that $300 for one even in near mint condition. If I really wanted thar platform I would get another used SS SV105 ans deal with the more gritty retrieve. That or a SS SV103 5:1 ans gear swap it. That silver and black trim of that ratio just looks so good.
Hmm that sounds kinda good enough for me. I've never heard about that plastic side plate being some cutting edge or have heard any info about it at all, tho. Were they marketing it as something special? I kinda ignored all the SS SV marketing because i just couldn't stand that silver & black look it had.
Last edited by SSS on Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:35 am

SSS wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:33 am
LowRange wrote:

They are smooth enough but not buttery disconnected smooth. Way smoother than my SS SVs or used IS73 was for sure. Mine is a jerkbait reel with a 1010 spool and looks great on a green Lavante. I paied $400 for it used when they were the cutting edge. Now its just an old Steez I have to baby to protect the paint. It's neat but I wouldnt pay more that $300 for one even in near mint condition. If I really wanted thar platform I would get another used SS SV105 ans deal with the more gritty retrieve. That or a SS SV103 5:1 ans gear swap it. That silver and black trim of that ratio just looks so good.
Hmm that sounds kinda good enough for me. I've never heard about that plastic side plate being some cutting edge or any info about it at all, tho. Were they marketing it as something special? I kinda ignored all the SS SV marketing because i just couldn't stand that silver & black look it had.
Its Zaion fancy plastic back when Daiwa was all hyped up for as a future material. Now's its kind like saying the slide plate is make from drag stars but back then it was cutting edge carbon composite.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:38 am

LowRange wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:35 am
SSS wrote:
LowRange wrote:

Hmm that sounds kinda good enough for me. I've never heard about that plastic side plate being some cutting edge or any info about it at all, tho. Were they marketing it as something special? I kinda ignored all the SS SV marketing because i just couldn't stand that silver & black look it had.
Its Zaion fancy plastic back when Daiwa was all hyped up for as a future material. Now's its kind like saying the slide plate is make from drag stars but back then it was cutting edge carbon composite.
Oh just the zion marketing? Meh. I thought the actual shape of the handle side plate was what they were marketing.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:21 am

SSS wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:38 am
LowRange wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:35 am
SSS wrote:
LowRange wrote:

Oh just the zion marketing? Meh. I thought the actual shape of the handle side plate was what they were marketing.
No, but injection molding allows shapes like to be made in ways aluminum and magnesium can't.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:25 pm

Will give it a shot, i don't have any 8.1 ratio reels anyways. If the original gear set is too worn, i heard these are compatible with the og zillion gears? Was thinking of getting the 7.9 gears if they're still being sold on plat.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:21 pm

Also that 105 SV spool is crazy light weight compared to my 105 SV spool from my SS SV105 or Alphas SVs. Never got the weights recorded but it feels like half the weight and the material is crazy thin. Mine lives in an SS SV103 on an L BFS rod tossing and skipping Ned rigs and the like. In my Steez LTD I use a 1010 spool with either 10# fouro or 20# braid for Jerkbaits and recently picked up a Winer Black ZPI spool Techno Formula with 12# flouro for skipping lightish plastics. I have faith in it.