Megabass Destroyer Bait Finesse/Hien vs Criffhanger/Cliffhanger

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
slimjim1135
Angler
Angler

Megabass Destroyer Bait Finesse/Hien vs Criffhanger/Cliffhanger

Post by slimjim1135 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:38 am

Looking to upgrade my power BFS setup. I've never fished anything in the Destroyer series, but I'm between the Bait Finesse/Hien and the Criffhanger/Cliffhanger Thrilling. Has anyone fished one or both and can weigh in?

Rod will be used mostly for bottom contact baits between 3-7 grams total. Occasionally, I might use a heavier jig head that'd bring the total weight to 10g, but that'd be the very max. 1.5-2g would be a nice to have, but not 100% necessary, as I have other rods that work well for that. When I do use moving baits, they're always swapped with single hooks, so no trebles ever.

Rod will be mostly fished out of a kayak. In my other BFS rods I like a little longer length for more leverage, which is why I'm a bit hesitant on the Criffhanger, but the added power rating has me hesitating on the Hien.

Also is the extra $100ish worth the upgrade from the JDM destroyer to the Destroyer P5?

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Megabass Destroyer Bait Finesse/Hien vs Criffhanger/Cliffhanger

Post by Cristo » Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:32 am

I'm sure someone else will chime in on this there's many BFS aficionados here

I've had some time with an older I think 2016 Destroyer Hien(used as a drop shot rod for quite awhile, loved it for 1/4oz plugs on up to 5/8oz, 1/4oz and plastic jig combo was t*tties) and for your lure weights that may not be the right fit but more likely dependent on lure type and some other factors i am sure. My guess would be the the Hanger as in general is a Rod type across many iterations has a softer action for the lighter stuff( I don't have experience with many though just the X7) so take that info with a grain of salt

Good luck on your search

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:02 am

Cristo wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:32 am
I'm sure someone else will chime in on this there's many BFS aficionados here

I've had some time with an older I think 2016 Destroyer Hien(used as a drop shot rod for quite awhile, loved it for 1/4oz plugs on up to 5/8oz, 1/4oz and plastic jig combo was t*tties) and for your lure weights that may not be the right fit but more likely dependent on lure type and some other factors i am sure. My guess would be the the Hanger as in general is a Rod type across many iterations has a softer action for the lighter stuff( I don't have experience with many though just the X7) so take that info with a grain of salt

Good luck on your search

The X7 simply were where I saw why they were so highly regarded
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:57 am

slimjim1135 wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:38 am

Rod will be used mostly for bottom contact baits between 3-7 grams total. Occasionally, I might use a heavier jig head that'd bring the total weight to 10g, but that'd be the very max. 1.5-2g would be a nice to have, but not 100% necessary, as I have other rods that work well for that. When I do use moving baits, they're always swapped with single hooks, so no trebles ever.
For those weight ranges I would not pick the P5 Hien. I have one and while it’s a wonderful rod, I think it’s sweet spot is much closer to 3/8 of an ounce. I don’t have a new Criffhanger but I have the P3 version and it is very much a quarter ounce rod.

That’s not to say the P5 Hein can’t cast to the lower ends of its range. It very much can and maybe go even a little lower but it’s so good around 3/8 I have a hard time wanting to do anything else with it.

bucac
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by bucac » Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:42 pm

I use my x7 super criffhanger for tube baits and ned rigs up to 1/8 paired with a conquest bfs on 3lb line. I wouldnt cast anything more than 5 grams on that rod. As for the Bait Finesse, I have a the older version called the Hien. I use it for cranks and jerk baits in the 5-9 grams. It's rated at 1/4 but it can definitely cast a luckycraft pointer 65 a mile on my scorpion bfs.